Just one:What rule would you like to see chaged at the high school level?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Play Clocks Mandatory at every field....charge everyone an extra dollar to get in for one year to pay for them or let some business sponsor them, either way it needs to be consistent from field to field.

Play clocks were installed at Franklin-Simpson. About half the time officials would come to the press box pre-game and order them turned off.

When a penalty occurs inside the 10 yard line then it should be an automatic 1st down. I hate that when a team is about to score and inside the 5 yard line or so and the defense holds or their is a PI in the endzone that if it was 3rd down, it stays 3rd down. It is an advantage to the defense to do whatever they can on a 3rd and goal to prevent a TD even if that includes purposely getting called for a penalty. The offense doesn't really have an advantage.

I witnessed this first hand this year during a Cooper game when Cooper was inside the 10 and it was a 3rd and goal and their was a Defensive Penalty and basically instead of getting a 1st and goal it was just a replay of 3rd down. That is one rule I wish was changed.

What was the reasoning?

The stated reasons varied from crew to crew. Basically it came down to not being familiar with on field play clocks and keeping control.

I think some places that have play clocks just let the scoreboard operator handle that duty as well. That is not a good idea. FS had a person dedicated to the play clock.

Edited by Jumper_Dad

1.) College rule OT.

2.) Celebration penalty eliminated unless extremely excessive.

3.) Penalties inside the red zone if regulated to half the distance to include a first down.(IE off-sides on defense at the three results in first down from the 1 1/2 regardless of what down it was originally.)

4.) Targeting penalty eliminated.

3.) Penalties inside the red zone if regulated to half the distance to include a first down.(IE off-sides on defense at the three results in first down from the 1 1/2 regardless of what down it was originally.)

I just can't quite go there.... I 100% agree that PI's, Defensive Holding, etc should result in an automatic 1st Down inside the 10.

But I can't help but think of a Goalline stand being taken away because when they force the other team to line up for Field Goal a Freshman Special Teamer crosses the neutral zone and now the other team gets an automatic First Down and 3 more downs to punch in a short score.

Speaking of which, should Offsides be whistled dead in High School and an automatic penalty without contact?

This one has always bothered me.

I personally think that if contact isn't made and there is not a direct path to the QB it should be a "play on" penalty (free play) and that if the defender can get back across before the ball is snapped they should not be penalized.

I'd like to see Play Clocks Mandatory at every field....charge everyone an extra dollar to get in for one year to pay for them or let some business sponsor them, either way it needs to be consistent from field to field.

Negative, too much home cooking running the clock in HS for that to happen. Back judge has a buzzer, leave this one in the officials hands.