The Republican party doomed?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the GOP candidate pulls out of Virginia with a month to go and concedes the state to a Democrat is a clear sign that there are deep issues in the Grand Old Party.

A state that has gone as follows:

2012: Obama 51.2, Romney 47.3

2008: Obama 52.6, McCain 46.3

2004: Bush 53.7, Kerry 45.5

2000: Bush 52.5, Gore 44.4

1996: Dole 47.1, Clinton 45.2

1992: Bush 45.0, Clinton 40.6

1988: Bush 59.7, Dole 39.2

1984: Reagan 62.3, Mondale 37.1

1980: Reagan 53.0, Carter 40.3

The problem is that those"intellectuals" are probably right. This still isn't a country that's moved far to the right or left, on the whole. Had the GOP nominated that moderate candidate this year, that person would probably cruise to the White House.

As for recent examples, George W. Bush certainly isn't what you would call a radical conservative; he was elected twice. McCain and Romney ran up against something difficult to overcome in the Obama candidacy (especially McCain); Obama mobilized whole sections of voters in ways that hadn't been seen before. In the end, I don't think that the last two elections, in which a Democrat beat a fairly moderate Republican, indicates that what America really wants is someone MORE conservative.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. I think America does want someone more conservative fiscally, but its the social issues that drive voters away from the GOP. I think if the GOP would stop being so moronic and campaigning on social issues they would have far more support. I fall in the so-called millennial age group and this is what I have been hearing for a while. Sure you have your small factions that are REALLY left and legitimately think Communism is what America needs (I'm really not kidding about this). Then you have some on the far right who wear "Make America Great Again" hats. But the majority are pretty much on that moderate line for the reasons I've stated. Again I'm only speaking for my generation, but this is what I have been hearing for a long time.

Exactly my point. In fact I don't think VA had gone Democratic since LBJ in '64 before Obama.

I thought VA was still a swing state.

An article I recently saw said that Candidate Trump will essentially be campaigning in only four states.

Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

I thought VA was still a swing state.

An article I recently saw said that Candidate Trump will essentially be campaigning in only four states.

Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

Recent polls seem to have Hillary clinching the Old Dominion.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. I think America does want someone more conservative fiscally, but its the social issues that drive voters away from the GOP. I think if the GOP would stop being so moronic and campaigning on social issues they would have far more support. I fall in the so-called millennial age group and this is what I have been hearing for a while. Sure you have your small factions that are REALLY left and legitimately think Communism is what America needs (I'm really not kidding about this). Then you have some on the far right who wear "Make America Great Again" hats. But the majority are pretty much on that moderate line for the reasons I've stated. Again I'm only speaking for my generation, but this is what I have been hearing for a long time.

I think that is accurate. I think that is why many identify as libertarian now too.

@grant NY and @PepRock01, I agree. I am an old moderate R and my main concerns are economic and fiscal responsibility. I believe the Constitution and immigration laws should be upheld. I personally hate abortion, but do not believe it should be illegal in the first trimester. I believe social issues have been a disaster for the R politicians.

145k watched Trump's rally live on Facebook tonight.

Yep I watched it for the circus, for a while, then switched to the NFL game.

^ Hard not to look at a train wreck.

Those numbers are legitimately his. And that's the trouble for the Republicans. If he didn't have this faction of the republican base in his sway (the faction that propelled him thru the primaries), then he would not be so much a problem. The R party has a faction that basically disgusts the rest of the nation, (including other republicans) and they are no longer silent or implied, they have a spokesperson.

Conservatism, as an ideology, is always going to have a component that privileges the status quo or existing social arrangements. That's a complicated discussion, but it's not the primary explanation for Republican woes.

So you are saying Conservatives are resistant to change? :)