Riots in North Carolina over shooting

jericho

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely agree.

And when an officer does make a mistake (especially one that ends in the loss of life), regardless of intentions, should they not be held responsible?

They should absolutely be held responsible, can you name one of the more recent situations when it was proven the police acted irresponsibly and got away with the crime? (besides Rodney king)

Absolutely agree.

And when an officer does make a mistake (especially one that ends in the loss of life), regardless of intentions, should they not be held responsible?

Yes.

Go back and reread my posts. I think they all should be held accountable if they make mistakes. The problem is, no one wants to wait for the system to do it's job.

The man in Charlotte was shot and within two hours they're protesting. They didn't know the facts but still decided that they should protest. People are calling for the video to be released even though the investigation is not complete.

And then you have the situation in Baltimore where all of the police officers were either acquitted or Had their charges dropped. No one wants to wait for Justice anymore.

They should absolutely be held responsible, can you name one of the more recent situations when it was proven the police acted irresponsibly and got away with the crime? (besides Rodney king)

I'm not saying they're not. I'm not necessarily talking from a charges perspective.

Let's say the guy in Tulsa was reaching through his window. There was no weapon. His death should not have happened. The officer made a mistake. They can say it was a justified shooting, but it was a mistake that cost a man his life. At the very least that officer should never work in law enforcement again, IMO.

And yes, he shares blame in that mistake. I'd say he's been held accountable for his end of it already though, wouldn't you?

I saw something interesting either on Fox or CNN last night, that maybe someone with knowledge or common sense of the subject on here can elaborate. But are the reason why all of these officers from Ferguson to Baltimore to 100% sure Densing or Kensing? in Cincinnati are getting off is that they are being charged with murder instead of involuntary manslaughter or some other lesser known offense in all of these shootings. Murder is harder and impossible to prove in all of these cases and thus they all get of. Why aren't they or are they being charged with a lesser offense that would get a guilty conviction and jail time? Just wondering, does anyone know? If there is not a conviction in the Cincinnati and Missouri cases specifically, no officer will ever do jail time ever

I'm not saying they're not. I'm not necessarily talking from a charges perspective.

Let's say the guy in Tulsa was reaching through his window. There was no weapon. His death should not have happened. The officer made a mistake. They can say it was a justified shooting, but it was a mistake that cost a man his life. At the very least that officer should never work in law enforcement again, IMO.

And yes, he shares blame in that mistake. I'd say he's been held accountable for his end of it already though, wouldn't you?

Don't worry. If a police officer shoots someone with any questionable tactics or judgment in the public's eyes, their career is over. Ask Darren Wilson.

I get what you are saying but I would imagine it is so much harder making those decisions in the heat of the moment. We would all probably be jaw dropped if we heard all the stories these cops have dealt with during their service, which leads to them making decisions to shoot in these situations. Then we sit here and play the armchair quarterback acting like we would've done something differently.

IMO its the closeness of the target.

Does anyone know where the guy in NY was shot or how close it was.

I have a pistol, its hard to hurry up and shoot a moving hand IMO.

Are you a police officer with years of training in shooting maybe a moving hand, a shoulder,etc. I'm guessing no.

I think this is a fair question to ask.

Honestly, I think the local cops that he was in the shootout with would have let him lay there and die if it were up to them. From pictures and video I have seen they sure weren't in a hurry to get him to a hospital as he was fading in and out of consciousness. But I imagine the FBI want's to interview this guy and get as much information out of him as possible. On top of that, don't doubt for a second that they weren't aiming to kill when in the shootout with him, they just didn't hit him in an area that would prove to be a quick death. If anyone thinks they were shooting to wound him rather than kill him, they're not in touch with reality. None of those guys are trained to wound someone, they aim for center mass.

I get what you are saying but I would imagine it is so much harder making those decisions in the heat of the moment. We would all probably be jaw dropped if we heard all the stories these cops have dealt with during their service, which leads to them making decisions to shoot in these situations. Then we sit here and play the armchair quarterback acting like we would've done something differently.

I don't disagree with anything you said here.

It's an absolutely thankless job, and for that I am incredibly grateful that we have the officers we do. It's why whenever I've interacted with them it's "Yes sir, no sir" or "Yes ma'am, no ma'am" and comply completely with whatever commands they give.

It's simply my opinion that because of the level of responsibility and authority that comes with the job, so too should a heightened critical eye. Is it fair? Maybe not, but when lives can be lost due to mistakes, I feel it's warranted.

Edited by UKMustangFan

Are you a police officer with years of training in shooting maybe a moving hand, a shoulder,etc. I'm guessing no.

Funny. But yeah your right, Im not a cop or do I pretend to be one.

Did you see where I said IMO, that means In My Opinion, which means that is what I think, not what I know.

I have however taken out my pistol numerous times on a cardboard human target and shot at it from about 10-20 yards away to simulate someone in my house and how fast could I just get the gun up and shoot with out taking time to aim. I missed a lot of times and I wasnt even under the threat of being killed.