UK#1fanisback

Who do you think wins this game?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question, and I am not trying to stir the pot. Is Coach W considered being on the hot seat if the team struggles this season? I know they made the state semis last year and won a state title in his first year. Let's say they don't get past CCH in the 3rd round would a switch at HC be a possibility? I hope not, as I think Coach W is the coach for the job and winning state, state semis, and regional finals in 3 years is something that ALMOST ALL schools would build a statue of a coach over that resume. But, this is Highlands, so I am just curious

Serious question, and I am not trying to stir the pot. Is Coach W considered being on the hot seat if the team struggles this season? I know they made the state semis last year and won a state title in his first year. Let's say they don't get past CCH in the 3rd round would a switch at HC be a possibility? I hope not, as I think Coach W is the coach for the job and winning state, state semis, and regional finals in 3 years is something that ALMOST ALL schools would build a statue of a coach over that resume. But, this is Highlands, so I am just curious

If Coach Lickert continues to build his resume' at CCHS, I can see the Birds offering him the head coaching job if Coach W gets chased out. At least that's what the Campbell Co. faithful are saying. :sssh:

That's a fair question and I don't know the answer. But I can tell you what I do know.

I know Brian is a great guy and many kids love him in and out of the class room.

He has been around for a long time and spent many of those years with Dale. He's a good coach! He knows what he is doing and I have no doubt about that. He has tons of experience and even though he may want to make his own mark on the program, it's not like he's forgotten everything that made the program successful over the years.

Also, as much as many outside of HHS don't want to believe it, HHS places education and the best for the kids first. If he is teaching the kids and guiding them in the right direction and is a positive mentor and the school feels he is a great role model for the student athletes, then they will be hard pressed to ever let a coach go that has all those attributes. They place a lot of weight on those things, regardless of wins and losses.

Now if the kids aren't playing for him or he can't find ways to keep them engaged positively, then that might be a different story. But I highly doubt that's the case.

My guess that if there is a coaching change, it would be him making that decision...not the school. I just don't see HHS letting good people in roles to influence positively go due to any record. From my experience, it's just not what they believe in. But that's just my opinion. I was wrong one other time!

At HHS, we are just in an era of small kids. It's not that they don't work their tails off. It's not that they aren't trying to win. It's not bad attitudes. It's not bad coaching or bad decisions. It's not a lot of bad athletes. It's none of those things.

They have very good athletes. They have very good coaching. They have passion and desire. But they are a bunch of defensive backs trying to play football against teams much larger than them! And I don't mean enrollment. We were kidding around today and said that several freshman teams our HHS freshman team is playing are physically bigger than our varsity! At the end of the day, you need a few "people movers" on both sides of the ball or you get it shoved down your throat!

People say "well HHS has been successful with small teams in the past". Well they are right. But not this small as a team as a whole. But I bet if you look at those other small teams, they also had something else. An elite athlete or athletes, depth, even a couple of bigs. What made HHS so good for so long was adapting to their strengths. For example, there were times when they had elite QBs. So they took the limited big guys and protected the QB on offense. In some of those times, their defense struggled horribly. But they didn't care because they knew you couldn't score as many points as them! They used their defense to just slow you down. If they had a lot of receivers, they spread you out. If they were big, they ran it down your throat. They always had a niche and they played to that strength. They always exploited what they felt their mismatch was.

My point, none of that has changed. Brian will still do that. However, these last two years really haven't had that niche advantage that a lot of the teams have had in the past. It's not an excuse, it is what it is. We still have very good kids and very good athletes, but at some point if you don't have at least some size, you can't keep people out of your backfield and you can't stop teams of monsters from running down your throat. And being outsized all over the field highly disrupts what you can and can't do. If you can't hold the ball on offense, you can't keep the other teams offense off the field. And if you aren't big enough to stop a team from running the ball, then that's a combination for blowouts against teams that are much larger than you and can push you all over the field. It's a domino effect!

I know some feel that HHS is run like a college with all the emphasis on football. But behind the scenes, that's just not reality. Education is number 1! Then a positive environment and good mentors. Football gets a lot of attention, but it will never trump those two things. I know they will turn things around at some point. It's what they do at Highlands. It's just tough times and this generation of players and fans aren't used to seeing this at HHS. IT HAPPENS! It's happened before and it will happen again. But history and trends tell me there are good times ahead as well.

The way the past few weeks have gone, and considering there are still injury issues, I am not expecting a Highlands win against SK. That said, a loss to SK while unpleasant, is hardly anything to lose sleep over at this point in the season. The 5a schedule is much more important and hopefully they are healthy and all hands on deck for that run.