Basketball Scholarship Offers

Others have answered your question well, but let me add that there is a decorum of diplomatic communication so nobody is going to look insincere or evil if a kid who has received an offer tries to commit and is turned down. There are ample ways to plausibly suggest how circumstances have caused a situation that prevents accepting a commit. Colleges usually only have 3-4 spots annually and those are spread on positional needs. The easy answer is suggesting that position of the player wanting to commit has been filled or a transfer is coming in making it no longer a position being recruited in the class. But I could think of ten ways to let someone down gently and it never turns ugly. Are kids disappointed at times...sure they are. But so are coaches in the process which makes the offering kids at a pace much greater than that of available spots a game within itself. It is more difficult for the bystander to determine, but when you see schools at prospects games or in frequent contact with the player it is a better indicator of whether the offer is serious or not.

Well that's good info. I've no personal experience but I did talk to one person. They seemed to feel it's more about the colleges reading the interest from the potential players, than throwing out offers to 10 kids for 2 spots and then just taking the best ones. It does seem like colleges would just be out of control and offers would be thrown around with little significance. Offers, especially D1 offers do seem to carry some weight still?

They also felt that every offer is commitable initially. They said things do/can change over time though.

Are there colleges or coaches that have a reputation for this? I would think that would happen where some coaches are so liberal with their use of "offers" that people learn not to trust them?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's good info. I've no personal experience but I did talk to one person. They seemed to feel it's more about the colleges reading the interest from the potential players, than throwing out offers to 10 kids for 2 spots and then just taking the best ones. It does seem like colleges would just be out of control and offers would be thrown around with little significance. Offers, especially D1 offers do seem to carry some weight still?

They also felt that every offer is commitable initially. They said things do/can change over time though.

Are there colleges or coaches that have a reputation for this? I would think that would happen where some coaches are so liberal with their use of "offers" that people learn not to trust them?

Offers do mean something and of course they carry weight. There is obviously interest and getting an offer is a good thing. I am just saying the listing of each and every offer, especially as kids go later in the process are not reflective of active offers in many cases or offers they could commit to. I am also of the belief that not every offer begins as a commitable offer. For example, some kids may receive an offer as a favor to their coach or as a way to get in good with another player they are close to. If you do not want to accept their effort to commit, you can always tell a kid that you want them to wait and check out other schools to be sure of their decision. The idea a kid can commit once they get an initial offer does not hold water with me. If so, there should be more kids taking offers from some of the big schools once they give them.

Edited by GoHardITP

Offers are given as favors as ghitp said. Many are given as favors to help get the ball rolling for the kid. Say South Carolina offers a kid. They have no intention of really giving the kid a scholarship but it starts the process and gives the kid a big boost. It happens quite a bit.

Updated 8/8/16

DeAndre ‘Pedro’ Bradshaw (Russellville) – COMMITTED to Belmont

Peyton Broughton (North Laurel) – Narrowed list to 4: Clemson, Alabama-Birmingham, Eastern Kentucky, UNC-Ashville

Austin Crawford (Bracken County) – Pikeville

Noah Cunningham (Madisonville-North Hopkins) – Brescia

Timmy Dalton (Lawrence County) – Salem International

JC Hawkins (Simon Kenton) – Christian Brothers, Union University

Taveion Hollingsworth (Dunbar) – Eastern Kentucky, Morehead St., St. Louis, Wright St., Winthrop, Murray St., Coastal Carolina

Tray Hollowell (University Heights) – Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Murray St., Ohio, Saint Louis, E. Tennessee St., Samford, Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville St.

Tony Jackson (North Hardin) – Virginia Commonwealth, Eastern Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Ball St., Illinois St.

Luke Johnson (Lexington Catholic) – Loyola (MD)

Tavin Lovan (Franklin-Simpson) – Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Murray St., Toledo, SE Missouri St., Winthrop

Anthony Mathis Jr. (Kentucky Country Day) – IUPUI, Navy

Sean McNeil (Cooper) – Kentucky Wesleyan, Bellarmine

Chance Moore (Fern Creek) – Ball St., Samford, SE Missouri St.

Anthony Nelson (Cordia) – St. John, Hofstra, E. Tennessee St., Lipscomb, UNC-Ashville, Middle Tennessee St.

Jaylen Sebree (Christian County) – Indiana , Western Kentucky, Virginia Commonwealth, Tulane, Samford, Northern Kentucky, Manhattan, Xavier

David Sloan (Ballard) – Louisville, Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Iowa St., Memphis, Butler, Missouri, Eastern Kentucky, Samford, SE Missouri St., Ball St.

Kel Stotts (Russell County) – Maryville

Terry Taylor (Bowling Green) – SE Missouri St., Texas Southern

Damon Tobler (Perry Co. Central) – Samford, Winthrop, Nicholis St., Tennessee Tech

Chris Vogt (Graves County) – Western Kentucky, New Mexico, Ball St., Tulsa, Middle Tennessee St., Austin Peay, E. Tennessee St., Samford, Indiana St., Northern Kentucky, Southern Illinois, Evansville, SE Missouri St., Bucknell, UL-Lafayette, Kent St.

Cole VonHandorf (Covington Catholic) – DePaul, Lipscomb, Northern Kentucky, Winthrop

Connor Wilson (Ohio County) – UL-Lafayette

Trace Young (North Hardin) – Western Kentucky, Samford, Morehead St., Southern Cal, DePaul, South Florida, Massachusetts, Murray St., Virginia Tech, Kansas St.

Trevon Faulkner (Mercer County) – Middle Tennessee St., Wright State

Steven Fitzgerald (Pulaski County) – North Carolina State, Middle Tennessee St., Old Dominion, Eastern Kentucky, Virginia Commonwealth, Samford, Tennessee Tech, SE Missouri St.

CJ Frederick (Covington Catholic) – New Orleans, Winthrop, Northern Kentucky, Ball St.

Trey Hill (PRP) – Virginia Commonwealth, Western Kentucky

Oumar Keita (Cordia) – Virginia Commonwealth

Adam Kunkel (Cooper) – Samford, Central Arkansas

Ramon Mercado (Cordia) – Eastern Kentucky

Mickey Pearson (John Hardin) – Eastern Kentucky, Samford

Ahmad Price (Fern Creek) – Samford

TC Price (Lexington Catholic) – Navy, Toledo

JJ Reed (Paducah Tilghman) – Samford

Jay Scrubb (Trinity) – Samford, Winthrop

Andrew Taylor (Corbin) – Appalachian St., Stetson, Texas-Arlington

Anthony Wales (Fern Creek) – COMMITTED to Samford

De’Torrion Ware (Christian County) - SE Missouri St.

KyKy Tandy (University Heights) – Oklahoma

Justin Powell (Trinity) – Kennesaw St., Stetson

• 3 weeks later...

You are all correct on the scholarships - it's all one big game.

As a friend of mine, who was an assistant at an in-state school, once told me "it's a game that you just don't want to get burned in." And it happens on both sides.

For example, David Sloan. Nothing against the kid and he's a really good player but all of those offers came before junior season right? Not sure right this second if he could call many of those up and they would take his commitment. Just the way the game is.

Updated 8/26/16

DeAndre ‘Pedro’ Bradshaw (Russellville) – COMMITTED to Belmont

Peyton Broughton (North Laurel) – COMMITTED to Eastern Kentucky

Devon Cooper (Waggener) – UNC-Wilmington, IUPUI, Morehead St., Ball St., New Orleans, Northern Kentucky, Kent St., Florida International

Noah Cunningham (Madisonville-North Hopkins) – Brescia

Timmy Dalton (Lawrence County) – Salem International

JC Hawkins (Simon Kenton) – Christian Brothers, Union University

Taveion Hollingsworth (Dunbar) – Eastern Kentucky, Morehead St., St. Louis, Wright St., Winthrop, Murray St., Coastal Carolina

Tray Hollowell (University Heights) – Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Murray St., Ohio, Saint Louis, E. Tennessee St., Samford, Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville St.

Tony Jackson (North Hardin) – Virginia Commonwealth, Eastern Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Ball St., Illinois St.

Luke Johnson (Lexington Catholic) – Loyola (MD)

Tavin Lovan (Franklin-Simpson) – Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Murray St., Toledo, SE Missouri St., Winthrop

Anthony Mathis Jr. (Kentucky Country Day) – IUPUI, Navy

Sean McNeil (Cooper) – Kentucky Wesleyan, Bellarmine

Chance Moore (Fern Creek) – Ball St., Samford, SE Missouri St.

Anthony Nelson (Cordia) – St. John, Hofstra, E. Tennessee St., Lipscomb, UNC-Ashville, Middle Tennessee St.

Jaylen Sebree (Christian County) – Indiana , Western Kentucky, Virginia Commonwealth, Tulane, Samford, Northern Kentucky, Manhattan, Xavier

David Sloan (Ballard) – Louisville, Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Iowa St., Memphis, Butler, Missouri, Eastern Kentucky, Samford, SE Missouri St., Ball St., Kentucky Wesleyan

Kel Stotts (Russell County) – Maryville

Terry Taylor (Bowling Green) – SE Missouri St., Texas Southern, Austin Peay

Damon Tobler (Perry Co. Central) – Samford, Winthrop, Nicholis St., Tennessee Tech

Chris Vogt (Graves County) – Western Kentucky, New Mexico, Ball St., Tulsa, Middle Tennessee St., Austin Peay, E. Tennessee St., Samford, Indiana St., Northern Kentucky, Southern Illinois, Evansville, SE Missouri St., Bucknell, UL-Lafayette, Kent St.

Cole VonHandorf (Covington Catholic) – DePaul, Lipscomb, Northern Kentucky, Winthrop

Connor Wilson (Ohio County) – UL-Lafayette

Trace Young (North Hardin) – Western Kentucky, Samford, Morehead St., Southern Cal, DePaul, South Florida, Massachusetts, Murray St., Virginia Tech, Kansas St.

Trevon Faulkner (Mercer County) – Middle Tennessee St., Wright State

Steven Fitzgerald (Pulaski County) – North Carolina State, Middle Tennessee St., Old Dominion, Eastern Kentucky, Virginia Commonwealth, Samford, Tennessee Tech, SE Missouri St.

CJ Frederick (Covington Catholic) – New Orleans, Winthrop, Northern Kentucky, Ball St.

Trey Hill (PRP) – Virginia Commonwealth, Western Kentucky

Adam Kunkel (Cooper) – Samford, Central Arkansas

Ramon Mercado (Cordia) – Eastern Kentucky

Mickey Pearson (John Hardin) – Eastern Kentucky, Samford

Ahmad Price (Fern Creek) – Samford

TC Price (Lexington Catholic) – Navy, Toledo

JJ Reed (Paducah Tilghman) – Samford

Tony Rogers (Fern Creek) – Eastern Kentucky

Jay Scrubb (Trinity) – Samford, Winthrop

Andrew Taylor (Corbin) – Appalachian St., Stetson, Texas-Arlington

Anthony Wales (Fern Creek) – COMMITTED to Samford

De’Torrion Ware (Christian County) - SE Missouri St.

KyKy Tandy (University Heights) – Oklahoma, New Mexico St., Western Kentucky

Brennan Canada (Montgomery County) – Kentucky Wesleyan

Justin Powell (Trinity) – Kennesaw St., Stetson

Updated 8/26/16

I'm shocked...just SHOCKED that there's still only one school on this list.

While I am not at all shocked (I think the kid is D3 level in college), he has committed to UPike. Per his twitter a couple days ago.