Isaiah Crowell Posts Instagram Photo Showing Police Officer's Throat Getting Slit

NFL Player Posts Instagram Photo Showing Officer’s Throat Getting Slit

CLEVELAND (CBSNewYork) — An NFL player is apologizing for posting a graphic image on Instagram showing a man dressed in all black slitting the throat of a police officer.

Cleveland Browns running back Isaiah Crowell, 23, deleted the image he posted on Instagram showing blood gushing out of the officer’s neck. The image conjures up videos posted by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria showing the terrorist known as “Jihadi John” beheading American and British victims.

“Mood: They give polices all types of weapons and they continuously choose to kill us…(hashtag)Weak,” the caption read.

CnG9qXzWEAA8emP.jpg:large

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Browns say Isaiah Crowell's apology for 'extremely disturbing' post is insufficient and must back it up with positive steps | cleveland.com

"Last week was an emotional and difficult week as we saw extreme acts of violence against black men across our country as well as against police officers in Dallas,'' he wrote. "I posted an image to Instagram in the midst of that emotion that I shouldn't have and immediately removed it. It was an extremely poor decision and I apologize for that mistake and for offending people.

"My values and beliefs do not match that image. I am outraged and upset by the deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile along with so many others. I am also outraged and saddened by the attacks in Dallas and the deaths of the five honorable police officers (Lorne Ahrens, Michael Krol, Michael J. Smith, Brent Thompson and Patrick Zamarripa) who were providing protection while trying to keep peace.

"We have to be better as a society, it's not about color, it's about what's right and wrong. I was very wrong in posting that image. Every single life matters, every death as a result of violence should be treated with equal outrage and penalty.''

How does a guy who uses "polices" as a plural noun write the above statement?

Hue Jackson has a huge job in Cleveland.

The Browns rarely go long without another negative story.

And now I see Jackson is bringing Chad Johnson to town.

Some people, teams, coaches, players never learn...

An article by PD sports writer, Bill Livingston, begins with these words:

Despicable. Repugnant. Hateful. Stupid. Divisive. Unthinkable.

It ends with these words:

Crowell was the Browns' leading rusher, such as their anemic attack was, with 706 yards last season. In one thoughtless, racially insane moment, he became known for something dark and divisive, rather than uplifting and encouraging.

I don't suppose he must be released for one incredibly horrific spasm of stupidity and hate. But the Browns are going to be terrible on the field even with him.

If they so choose, they can also lose without someone responsible for one of the most offensive moments in team history.

In between he details why this was so incredibly offensive. I rooted for Crowell, who was cut from Georgia while in college due to a felony weapons charge. He cleaned up his act and went on to play for Alabama State. Now, I wonder if he really cleaned up his act. That was despicable. Equivalent to calling for a lynching of a black person by a white person. I don't think much of Crowell now, apology and all. There needs to be some punishment that hurts. Perhaps he needs to do some community service for a fallen police officers' organization or something. Definitely needs sensitivity training :sarcastic:. The Cleveland Browns and the NFL cannot tolerate such hateful speech.

TMZ

Cleveland Browns player Isaiah Crowell's apology for a tasteless social media attack on cops is falling on deaf ears -- and in fact, police tell TMZ Sports ... they'll pull out of the Browns' stadium in protest.

Crowell got blasted for posting an illustration last week of a cop getting his throat slashed by a masked person. He posted it on Wednesday -- after Alton Sterling and Philando Castile's deaths, but the day before 5 Dallas officers were shot and killed.

The running back deleted the post and the Browns demanded he publicly apologize, which he did.

But Stephen Loomis, President of Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, thinks the "store-bought apology" isn't enough. "He needs to go to Dallas, help the families who lost their loved ones last week, write them a check, look them in the eyes and give a heartfelt apology."

Loomis says Crowell's post was as "offensive as putting a picture of historical African-American men being hung from a tree in the 60s." He adds that if Crowell doesn't go to Dallas and make a donation, "I will pull Cleveland officers, sheriffs, state troopers out of First Energy Stadium this season if he doesn't make it right."

As for Crowell admitting he was wrong and acted out of rage -- Loomis says, "You're a grown man, and you claim you were too emotional to know it was wrong? Think we'll accept your apology? Kiss my ."

Crowell did meet with Cleveland's police chief, but Loomis isn't satisfied. He's demanding the Browns and/or the NFL drop the hammer.

TMZ

Cleveland Browns player Isaiah Crowell's apology for a tasteless social media attack on cops is falling on deaf ears -- and in fact, police tell TMZ Sports ... they'll pull out of the Browns' stadium in protest.

Crowell got blasted for posting an illustration last week of a cop getting his throat slashed by a masked person. He posted it on Wednesday -- after Alton Sterling and Philando Castile's deaths, but the day before 5 Dallas officers were shot and killed.

The running back deleted the post and the Browns demanded he publicly apologize, which he did.

But Stephen Loomis, President of Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, thinks the "store-bought apology" isn't enough. "He needs to go to Dallas, help the families who lost their loved ones last week, write them a check, look them in the eyes and give a heartfelt apology."

Loomis says Crowell's post was as "offensive as putting a picture of historical African-American men being hung from a tree in the 60s." He adds that if Crowell doesn't go to Dallas and make a donation, "I will pull Cleveland officers, sheriffs, state troopers out of First Energy Stadium this season if he doesn't make it right."

As for Crowell admitting he was wrong and acted out of rage -- Loomis says, "You're a grown man, and you claim you were too emotional to know it was wrong? Think we'll accept your apology? Kiss my ."

Crowell did meet with Cleveland's police chief, but Loomis isn't satisfied. He's demanding the Browns and/or the NFL drop the hammer.

Loomis's comments irritate me. He's just adding to the problem. You're going to pull the stadium security, a public place, because some dumb athlete posts an idiotic post on social media. Yeah, that makes sense. I appreciate what the law enforcement community does for us, but he should've just kept his mouth shut. If I lived in Cleveland, I'd be outraged that someone is threatening my security over a social media post.