Isaiah Crowell Posts Instagram Photo Showing Police Officer's Throat Getting Slit

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One idiot on the team (who is not from Cleveland but comes from Georgia) writes a despicable comment and the whole region is castigated.

Come on, @spindoc, that's too much, even for a Steeler's fan.

Oh, we all have our little fan barbs for our AFC North foes. All in good fun.

As for Crowell, I bet he gets no punishment from the league.

Loomis's comments irritate me. He's just adding to the problem. You're going to pull the stadium security, a public place, because some dumb athlete posts an idiotic post on social media. Yeah, that makes sense. I appreciate what the law enforcement community does for us, but he should've just kept his mouth shut. If I lived in Cleveland, I'd be outraged that someone is threatening my security over a social media post.

Police union spox are case studies in terrible PR. I understand they are advocates for their officers, but I can't remember the last time I read a statement from one that didn't make me shake my head. I think you can make a forceful, well-thought statement castigating Crowell and/or the Browns without trying to coerce them or the fans by threatening not to work the stadium.

Why should he punished? He's entitled to be as stupid as he wants to be regardless of the situation. Being a moron isn't grounds for punishment.

And now I'll swing back around to the other side and say it absolutely is. He's entitled to his beliefs as a citizen, but he's a representative of the Browns' franchise and the league and the statement made by the picture was beyond the pale. It wasn't just a controversial opinion.

My gripe with the Browns (and I'm not saying it as a Bengals fan) is they stated he's sincere in apologizing, an apology won't be enough, he has to take action to show his remorse, etc. That's all fine and well but then why release an apology from Crowell clearly written by someone else? He couldn't say it in his own words? That doesn't scream "sincere" to me.

Why should he punished? He's entitled to be as stupid as he wants to be regardless of the situation. Being a moron isn't grounds for punishment.

Sure it is. If you embarrass your employer you are ripe for suspension.

I'd have to think long and hard about how badly I wanted to keep him on my team. Brand new coach - brand new start. I think I'm moving forward without this guy.

I read where he will now donate his first game check to the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation.

Cleveland Browns RB Isaiah Crowell to donate game check to fallen police officers

Crowell said Tuesday that he made an "extremely poor decision" when he posted a drawing that graphically showed a hooded individual putting what looks like a machete into the throat of a police officer.

In a video posted on his Facebook page on Wednesday, Crowell said that "by posting that picture, I became part of the problem. I don't want to be part of the problem. I want to be part of the solution. To back that up, my first game check is going to the Dallas Fallen Officers Foundation."

One game check for Crowell is worth $35,294.

Saying he wants to work toward opening a dialogue between his community and police, Crowell also added: "I know this might not change your mind about me, and I know I can't take the post back, but I'm sorry. And moving forward, I'm committed to being part of the solution."

The Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation was established in 2009 by active Dallas police officers to help immediate families of officers critically injured or killed in the line of duty.

Crowell's post had created an uproar. On Tuesday, the Browns organization did not mince words in its reaction.

"We have spoken to Isaiah regarding his extremely disturbing and unacceptable social media decision," the team said in a written statement. "It was completely inappropriate and we have made him aware of our high level of disappointment. Isaiah has apologized but also knows that just an apology is insufficient and that he must take steps to make a positive difference after a very negative and impactful post."

Crowell had issued a statement on Tuesday that was released by the team.

"It was an extremely poor decision and I apologize for that mistake and for offending people," he said. "My values and beliefs do not match that image."

The post went up after the police killings of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota, and before the killing of five Dallas police officers Thursday night.

Stephen Loomis, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, was critical of Crowell on Tuesday, telling TMZ Sports that the player's "store-bought apology" was inadequate. But on Wednesday, he said on 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland that he accepted and appreciated Crowell's video apology.

Cleveland police chief Calvin Williams said that Crowell apologized to him in a call Tuesday and that Crowell said he was caught up in the emotion of last week.

Browns linebacker Paul Kruger tweeted his support for Crowell on Tuesday night.

Everyone relax and cut my man Crow some slack.. He's a good person trust me, obviously didn't mean what he posted.

— Paul Kruger (@pkruger99) July 13, 2016

Crowell wrote that he was "outraged and upset" by the killings of Sterling and Castile, and "outraged and saddened" by the killing of the five Dallas police officers. He called last week "an emotional and difficult week," but said his post was wrong.

"We have to be better as a society," Crowell said. "It's not about color, it's about what's right and wrong. I was very wrong in posting that image. Every single life matters, every death as a result of violence should be treated with equal outrage and penalty."

Crowell removed the image shortly after posting it, but the image was still shared on social media.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, when asked whether the league had any response, said: "The image was inappropriate and insensitive. He realized this, took down the post and has since apologized."

Phillip Morris is an African-American columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

He wrote the following in an article today:

Isaiah Crowell should be suspended, if not permanently terminated, from the Cleveland Browns. That much seems obvious.

To visually advocate the slaying of police officers in the current climate is not only unthinkably hateful, it's a dangerous and toxic invitation to fragile minds. His cop killer post on his social media account -– which showed a hooded figure in black slicing the throat of a kneeling police officer -- was the equivalent of crying fire! in a crowded theater that has no visible exits.

Briefly consider a what-if scenario.

If Browns future Hall of Famer Joe Thomas, or any other white player, had been foolish enough to post on social media an image of a black man hanging from a rope, in the hours after the killing of five police officers in Dallas, that player would have been terminated on the spot. It's time to eliminate the double standards.

Read the full article here: Dangerous blight in the Cleveland Browns' backfield: Phillip Morris | cleveland.com

As an employer he's an embarrassment and we part company.

So many people confuse "the right to do what you want" with "accepting the consequences of doing what you want".

Just ask the Dixie Chicks.