Taylor County - HUGE transfer?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole transferring from school to school issue is only one piece to a bigger puzzle. Kids are moving around with and without their parents and that's all that the public sees.

If you look a little deeper you'll find the "friends of the program" factor that's never mentioned. In fact it happens in such a way that if you're a fan of the team it comes off that the community has taken you in.

Here's how it works, a kid is recruited to come to a school. The first place the kid needs is a residence in the school district. Low and behold the first friend of the program happens to have a rental house or apartment available. Let's say the parent of the player comes and needs a job. Another friend of the program happens to need some help at their business. If there are issues with the legality of move and eligibility, no problem, another friend of the program happens to be an attorney or has an attorney on retainer. In some cases the friends of the program who are in the legal field are reading the KHSAA bylaws and updates to find loopholes.

In the meantime teams who are doing this continue to win, their game attendance continues to grow, others want to donate as either athletic boosters or become a friend of the program. The district justifies paying a coach an administrator's salary (even if the coach isn't a certified teacher). And the wheels keep turning.

The KHSAA doesn't have the manpower to police this and they know that this opens a much larger can of legal worms.

I know some folks are reading this and laughing and probably saying it's a conspiracy theory and that's ok. But the next time a star player just happens to move in listen closer in the bleachers and concession stand line.

Nope, that's pretty much how I understand the process works. In lots of places.

I think the decision is more than just homesickness. There's a brother that is trying to get back in the picture and wants more control in the decision making process. Mom seemed very happy with the arrangement at district, region and state. Sloan girlfriend goes to Ballard, prom this weekend created some friction. He chose prom over practice with Memphis AAU team, thus change to new AAU team. Hope the best for the kid, but odd decisions after 3 problem free years.

I think the decision is more than just homesickness. There's a brother that is trying to get back in the picture and wants more control in the decision making process. Mom seemed very happy with the arrangement at district, region and state. Sloan girlfriend goes to Ballard, prom this weekend created some friction. He chose prom over practice with Memphis AAU team, thus change to new AAU team. Hope the best for the kid, but odd decisions after 3 problem free years.

This is the exact scenario I have been told.

Two things...

1) there's always a girlfriend involved. Young love is a powerful and sometimes damaging force.

2) the above description is one model of how the process works. There are a few others that are utilized in the state.

Didn't he live with the coach of Taylor Co.? These kids change schools like I change the oil in my car...once a year! :lol2:

Wonder if we could also include Matt Jones on KSR who runs his car out of gas and never changes his oil.

This whole transferring from school to school issue is only one piece to a bigger puzzle. Kids are moving around with and without their parents and that's all that the public sees.

If you look a little deeper you'll find the "friends of the program" factor that's never mentioned. In fact it happens in such a way that if you're a fan of the team it comes off that the community has taken you in.

Here's how it works, a kid is recruited to come to a school. The first place the kid needs is a residence in the school district. Low and behold the first friend of the program happens to have a rental house or apartment available. Let's say the parent of the player comes and needs a job. Another friend of the program happens to need some help at their business. If there are issues with the legality of move and eligibility, no problem, another friend of the program happens to be an attorney or has an attorney on retainer. In some cases the friends of the program who are in the legal field are reading the KHSAA bylaws and updates to find loopholes.

In the meantime teams who are doing this continue to win, their game attendance continues to grow, others want to donate as either athletic boosters or become a friend of the program. The district justifies paying a coach an administrator's salary (even if the coach isn't a certified teacher). And the wheels keep turning.

The KHSAA doesn't have the manpower to police this and they know that this opens a much larger can of legal worms.

I know some folks are reading this and laughing and probably saying it's a conspiracy theory and that's ok. But the next time a star player just happens to move in listen closer in the bleachers and concession stand line.

Of course this is the way works. Doubters have what I call the Ostrich Syndrome, a condition that does exist in many areas.

While this would not surprise me, I would be hesitant to bite on this just yet. This time last year, the big kid from North Hardin and two kids from John Hardin had all but enrolled at TC. The efforts are going to have to be strong, but it will be interesting, and entertaining to say the least, to see the finished product provided by the powers that be.