Majority of Americans Identify as "Pro-Choice" Instead of "Pro-Life"

Science Friction

Sorry, I didn't intend to leave discussion hanging. Time to fix a meal for Papaw. And this is his theory, "Abortion will slowly disappear, for the most part, because as medicine becomes more advanced and the stress caused to a woman and her reproductive system and mental health is fully understood, who chooses to abort, will choose not to. The people who make this choice will abort themselves to death." Papaw approaches it from a different direction of thought but we arrive at the same conclusion. No, I don't want the woman to go to jail, or the woman of rape to suffer or the innocent child to die and neither did I want an acquaintance to die from a bad abortion. Also, these states need to have one law in these accidents where a pregnant woman dies. I also do not believe it's my right to judge someone else and their own bodies. And yes I do believe in capital punishment. So let me have it on that one! If someone kidnaps, rapes and beats the person to death, yes you get the death penalty. That will keep me off any jury duty in such cases.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mother doesn't commit the procedure the medical representative or physician does..

If we use the murder analogy I think we'd all agree that the mother in this scenario is the person who hired the hitman, right?

This is why I say you can't make it illegal. Our country is not ready to jail others who choose this option.

If we use the murder analogy I think we'd all agree that the mother in this scenario is the person who hired the hitman, right?

This is why I say you can't make it illegal. Our country is not ready to jail others who choose this option.

Maybe they should be. There are some that are certainly willing to jail people for exercising their 2nd amendment right when they don't follow the letter of the law and "GASP" carry their legal firearm into another state.

To be clear I never see a 100% end to abortion BUT abortion as a matter of convenience is a vile and repulsive act. If you don't want to chance getting pregnant, don't have sex. Simple. If you do decide to risk a pregnancy (and let's be clear every time you have sex you do risk pregnancy) then you should be prepared to deal with the consequences of that choice. I understand the argument that even a baby that is the product of rape or incest is innocent and shouldn't be terminated, but I also understand not wanting to traumatize a woman again by forcing her to carry that baby to term, even if she intends to give it up. I would favor laws allowing for abortions in the case of rape or incest when those crimes are reported.

Again, I think most Americans favor common sense restrictions on obtaining an abortion. If it even saves 1 life it's worth it.

It's sad that in the eyes of many a life lost to abortion is less important and valuable then a life lost to gun fire even though way more lives are lost to abortion then to gunfire.

I may be in the minority, but I am 100% against abortion. As to the instances of rape and incest, what is killing another person solving? I agree that it would be extremely hard for the woman to carry the baby, but is it the baby's fault that its dad raped its mom? As to the instance of the mothers life, this is such a minuscule percentage and I have actually never heard of a case like this. I asked my wife what she would do and she said.."there is no case where I would kill my baby, I guess you would be a single dad".

I do not believe that overturning Roe v Wade will make abortions stop, I am not naive. I think that a woman should have to have an ultrasound before making her "choice", if it helped just one woman keep her baby it would be a win in my book.

I may be in the minority, but I am 100% against abortion. As to the instances of rape and incest, what is killing another person solving? I agree that it would be extremely hard for the woman to carry the baby, but is it the baby's fault that its dad raped its mom? As to the instance of the mothers life, this is such a minuscule percentage and I have actually never heard of a case like this. I asked my wife what she would do and she said.."there is no case where I would kill my baby, I guess you would be a single dad".

I do not believe that overturning Roe v Wade will make abortions stop, I am not naive. I think that a woman should have to have an ultrasound before making her "choice", if it helped just one woman keep her baby it would be a win in my book.

Is the bolded the mom's fault?

But what does murdering a baby solve?

Who said it solved anything?

But as a guy, who will never understand what a woman in that situation goes through, if it brings them some sort of closure or allows them to start the healing process, it's not my place to stand in their way. Think about this....a man forced himself on the woman, and now you're advocating forcing that woman to give birth to the rapist's child.

It's not an easy situation by any stretch, but I just can't support forcing that decision on them.

But what does murdering a baby solve?

It solves the question "does a woman have a right to make her own choices about her own body." To tell a woman who was raped and impregnated that she should carry to term because an abortion doesn't "solve anything" deprives her of her autonomy, the ability to make such a choice for herself. To decide for herself whether it solves anything.

It also, once again, forces your religion views on her. Without religion, this is really a non-issue by and large. We have opposition to the day after pill. Science has fetal development mapped out pretty well. There is no rational opposition to a day after pill, absent some religious belief about a soul at the time of conception. Ironically, science would lend itself to some pretty strong arguments against abortion in the latter stages, but pro-lifers don't generally seem to like to make such not-so-fine distinctions. Three cells can make a "baby", a raped woman is a "mom", the rapist is a "dad" (all of these examples are in this thread). oh, and "abortion" is "murder."

Always wondered why the mom gets the only choice in the matter. If there is a potential mom there is a potential dad. Mom decides to have an abortion baby daddy has not rights. Mom wants to keep the baby, daddy gets to pay for it. Both parties were involved in the creation event.

Always wondered why the mom gets the only choice in the matter. If there is a potential mom there is a potential dad. Mom decides to have an abortion baby daddy has not rights. Mom wants to keep the baby, daddy gets to pay for it. Both parties were involved in the creation event.

Your question is kind of the answer. Well, the part you leave out is the answer, whether you left it out intentionally or unintentionally. How many days does the male carry the fetus? How many of the males have to put their job on hold for months while they carry the fetus and give birth? How many of the males have to face health problems and health risks? How many males have been forced, or coerced, to carry a fetus in their body and give birth to it?

It solves the question "does a woman have a right to make her own choices about her own body." To tell a woman who was raped and impregnated that she should carry to term because an abortion doesn't "solve anything" deprives her of her autonomy, the ability to make such a choice for herself. To decide for herself whether it solves anything.

It also, once again, forces your religion views on her. Without religion, this is really a non-issue by and large. We have opposition to the day after pill. Science has fetal development mapped out pretty well. There is no rational opposition to a day after pill, absent some religious belief about a soul at the time of conception. Ironically, science would lend itself to some pretty strong arguments against abortion in the latter stages, but pro-lifers don't generally seem to like to make such not-so-fine distinctions. Three cells can make a "baby", a raped woman is a "mom", the rapist is a "dad" (all of these examples are in this thread). oh, and "abortion" is "murder."

Correct.