Majority of Americans Identify as "Pro-Choice" Instead of "Pro-Life"

Science Friction

Abortion - only when the life of the mother is at risk. All other options include giving a child up for adoption, so there really no moral ground for ending the life of a child.

A woman doesn't ask to be brutally raped. For the state to take away her option to decide for herself seems ...well, not good. I would want my daughter or grand-daughter to be able to choose whether or not to go through with a rape-induced pregnancy for nine months.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your daughter or grand-daughter was brutally raped( pardon such a horrible thought but just a hypothetical) by a stranger and on top of that suffered a severe beating that left her life in peril, would you want her(or family) to be able to decide what she wanted to do or should she or her family have no choice in the matter? She shouldn't have the option to terminate the unwanted pregnancy if that's what she decided to do?

This is a hard one. There is never an excuse for rape, stranger or spouse or acquaintance, a horrid act. Yes, if her injuries demand the need to abort to allow her to recover from the rape and beating. But if her health and age is such, she could give the child up for adoption. Don't make the child of rape pay for the rapist' lawless act. Before you ask me, yes I am for capital punishment. I know a contradiction and always a battle with my own conscience. You are always a hard discussion. Makes me look inward and everything isn't always cut and dried.

This is a hard one. There is never an excuse for rape, stranger or spouse or acquaintance, a horrid act. Yes, if her injuries demand the need to abort to allow her to recover from the rape and beating. But if her health and age is such, she could give the child up for adoption. Don't make the child of rape pay for the rapist' lawless act. Before you ask me, yes I am for capital punishment. I know a contradiction and always a battle with my own conscience. You are always a hard discussion. Makes me look inward and everything isn't always cut and dried.

So true. Tough issue, for sure.

Thank you mamaw. I really do appreciate your opinion and for taking time to respond to my questions. Even though we disagree, your responses are very thoughtful . Have a good evening.

Time for my age-old BGP question for those who say that an abortion is taking an innocent life like murder does.

We put murderers to death or in prison for a long time. Are you ready to put a mother in prison?

Really good question, Clyde. I posed the same question before on this very board years ago. For those who believe that abortion should be illegal and believe it to be just as much murder as any other, what punishment would you set for a woman committing this "crime" ? Hypothetically, if Roe v. Wade was overturned and abortion became illegal, what sentence should be given for a woman who had an abortion and was convicted? Twenty Five to life, no parole? Death?

Anti-abortion means just that, however pro-life also includes anti-infanticide or anti-genocide or euthanasia. Great minds should also agree that abortion stops a beating heart. I don't really see any difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion except it sounds more socially acceptable. Yes, I know a fetus if not allowed to remain cannot sustain it's own life, so do you consider an unborn child a parasite? Do you also agree with the practice of drowning newly born kittens or puppies in a pillowcase, since no one wanted them around the farm or neighborhood. And yes as a child I tried to find them homes when the animals had not been spayed or neutered. This is one thing we will never agree on. Because Abortion stops a beating heart if not interrupted.

Not always, on the "stops a beating heart." Many abortions occur before the heart develops (around week 5) or before it beats regularly (week 6-7). What percentage of abortions occur before week five? IDK. Around 85-92 percent occur before week 13. But definitely they don't all stop a beating heart.

Anti-abortion means just that, however pro-life also includes anti-infanticide or anti-genocide or euthanasia. Great minds should also agree that abortion stops a beating heart. I don't really see any difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion except it sounds more socially acceptable. Yes, I know a fetus if not allowed to remain cannot sustain it's own life, so do you consider an unborn child a parasite? Do you also agree with the practice of drowning newly born kittens or puppies in a pillowcase, since no one wanted them around the farm or neighborhood. And yes as a child I tried to find them homes when the animals had not been spayed or neutered. This is one thing we will never agree on. Because Abortion stops a beating heart if not interrupted.

I can agree with everything you say except that there is no difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion. I have not yet met one person who wants to kill a child. I personally have never met anyone who doesn't consider a fetus a child. But I know they're out there.

I would like to extend the conversation a little bit, if you don't mind. What do you see as the solution to eliminating the reasons people have abortions. Do you believe overturning Roe v Wade will eliminate abortions?

This is also a good time to ask all those folks who describe themselves as "pro-life" what their opinion is on the death penalty.
I'll answer. I'm all for the death penalty. And I'm against abortion. Are there circumstances where I'd be for an abortion? Sure. And I think most folks with common sense would agree. As for the death penalty, when the first fetus blows up a federal building, I'll recant.

I'll answer. I'm all for the death penalty. And I'm against abortion. Are there circumstances where I'd be for an abortion? Sure. And I think most folks with common sense would agree. As for the death penalty, when the first fetus blows up a federal building, I'll recant.

You can't pick and choose when you want to be Pro-Life. JMO, of course.

As Deuce said, then you're not really "pro-life." You're anti-abortion.

You can't pick and choose when you want to be Pro-Life. JMO, of course.