Official BGP Gift Giving Guide

hoops5

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lump of Coal for you! It's a gift lol, not some form of liberal wealth re-distribution.

I give peeps in these categories jars of homemade salsa. I will throw in some chips for Run to State to get him in the holiday spirit. ;)

Don't put words in my mouth, I said absolutely nothing about liberal wealth distribution. I just don't understand why everybody thinks you should have to tip 90% of the working world. If I was a postman or a garbage collector, I sure wouldn't expect anything from anyone for simply doing my job. Crazy concept these days, I know.

I've gotten Christmas bonuses almost every single year I've been employed. Why does any boss do that?

Because you earned it? That's a completely different situation. A bonus is generally given because you've been evaluated on your work. I don't know about you but I'm generally not around to evaluate my garbage collectors nor am I their boss. Perhaps they get bonuses?

Don't put words in my mouth, I said absolutely nothing about liberal wealth distribution. I just don't understand why everybody thinks you should have to tip 90% of the working world. If I was a postman or a garbage collector, I sure wouldn't expect anything from anyone for simply doing my job. Crazy concept these days, I know.

Take it easy Scrooge McDuck. It is a gift, not a tip. Two different concepts. Giving gifts is nice and fun. You certainly don't have to give anyone a tip, errr gift, at Christmas if you don't want to. However, it is indeed fun to do.

Take it easy Scrooge McDuck. It is a gift, not a tip. Two different concepts. Giving gifts is nice and fun. You certainly don't have to give anyone a tip, errr gift, at Christmas if you don't want to. However, it is indeed fun to do.

I have no problem giving gifts, I just don't understand why people think everyone needs to get a gift for every single little thing in life. Maybe it goes back to the everyone should get a trophy idea, I don't know. If that makes me Scrooge McDuck, so be it. Where does it end? I don't know too many people that can afford to give everyone out there in daily life a gift. And again, I sure wouldn't expect it if I were doing their job.

The definition of a gift is that it's in exchange for nothing. It's just a nice thing to do for some people, maybe people you see regularly or do you a kindness. Why is this even a little controversial? :lol2:

It's not controversial and I really don't need a definition of what a gift is but thanks for that anyway. Again where does it end? You can't possibly afford to give everybody in daily life a gift unless you're rich.

I have no problem giving gifts, I just don't understand why people think everyone needs to get a gift for every single little thing in life. Maybe it goes back to the everyone should get a trophy idea, I don't know. If that makes me Scrooge McDuck, so be it. Where does it end? I don't know too many people that can afford to give everyone out there in daily life a gift. And again, I sure wouldn't expect it if I were doing their job.

Fair enough. It kinda does give you a Scrooge McDuck vibe, though you own it, so cool. You are still quid pro quo'ing the concept of a gift, and letting other concepts like tips, and trophies, bleed into it. IMO ofc. I humbly suggest you are over-thinking this. Gifts are good and need no explanation.

It's not controversial and I really don't need a definition of what a gift is but thanks for that anyway. Again where does it end? You can't possibly afford to give everybody in daily life a gift unless you're rich.

:lol2: You don't need to give anyone a gift. Just who you want to.

On that note, I don't want to clog up hoops thread anymore.

Fair enough. It kinda does give you a Scrooge McDuck vibe, though you own it, so cool. You are still quid pro quo'ing the concept of a gift, and letting other concepts like tips, and trophies, bleed into it. IMO ofc. I humbly suggest you are over-thinking this. Gifts are good and need no explanation.

That's cool, I just have always felt people tend to over do this sort of thing. I once told a guy that said you should give a gift to everybody that does a service for you at Christmas time that he should buy a gift for every policeman in his city, every fireman in his city and every service man and woman in the country a Christmas gift because they do a lot more for him then garbage collectors or postmen do. You should have seen the look on his face. :lol2:

My wife's family is too large. I can't afford to gift anyone outside that humongous group. I have BEGGED her family to do the "draw names" thing......................I'm still begging.

By the way, where I worked for years, we were never allowed to accept things like this at Christmas or any time of year, especially if it was money. We had to turn it in to the company. To this day, if we get called for jury duty, the stipend the county gives you for your service, we have to turn in to the company.

I'll go first.

What do you give to the boyfriends/girlfriends of your college kids?

AND what do you give to the boyfriends/girlfriends of your high school kids?

Thanks for going there! My wife is going bonkers this year since both the guys have little lady friends. I have told her several times that they may or may not be permanent and they are not her daughters! She has always wanted to buy for a girl so she is trying to make the most of fun shopping.

Side note, when we were dating my mom did the same to her. Bought her a bunch of nice things. More than what she got from her own mom and dad. Mom had to tone it back until she became an official member of the team.