Commissioner’s Response to Home School Proposal (BR396)

theguru

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a kid goes to a private school (Collegiate for example) but wants to play baseball (Collegiate doesn't have a baseball team) should he be able to play at his district public school? His parents pay taxes just like home schoolers and they've made a decision about what they feel is best for their child's education..

It is important for everyone to read Julian Tackett's response to the bill. The way the bill is written it will create many loopholes and cause a ton of legal issues for all involved. They need to clean the bill up if they want KHSAA to look into it.

I mean I'd love to live in Lexington and send my kid to play basketball at Lexington Catholic without paying tuition. Yeah, that's awesome.

If a kid goes to a private school (Collegiate for example) but wants to play baseball (Collegiate doesn't have a baseball team) should he be able to play at his district public school? His parents pay taxes just like home schoolers and they've made a decision about what they feel is best for their child's education..

No doubt. If I am in NKY I'd love to send my kid to Villa Madonna for school and Highlands for football or CovCath for basketball. That would be awesome!!!!!

Who cares if someone wanted to home-school their child but wanted them to play sports at their local school? Does it make that much of a difference...they do pay taxes so let them play. It's not that serious of an issue unless you have a greater argument than "don't give me the I pay taxes crap, so do people who don't even have kids."

The greater argument is that there is no way to compare what they are doing in their homeschool "classes" in comparison to what the other students are doing in their classes. Doing weekly grade checks is required by the KHSAA to be able to participate. I can tell you that during any season Fall/Winter/Spring when I was checking grades @ my school, I was checking 400+ students every Friday & that was grades that I had @ my fingertips. This way, I would have to rely on the parent supplying me with the grades, NO THANK YOU, I have enough on my plate already trying to teach & run an athletic department without having to send out a bloodhound out to track down every Harry Hardluck & Sally Sobstorys grades every single Friday.

KHSAA can't control the recruiting that goes on now with the policies they have in place they just turn the other way. If a homeschool kid wants to play sports they need to go that particular high school, imagine a boy who wants to go to CovCath and play basketball that is home schooled and doesn't pay tuition but will get playing time over a kid who does can you imagine the uproar from parents and I wouldn't blame them.

So I found out a little more about this yesterday when I was in Frankfort.

This has come back to light due to a current Freshman that is involved in Archery. However he is home schooled, because he is disabled and in a wheel chair, and due to some issues with his disability he basically has a home health nurse with him 24/7.

Now with that said, legislatures have gotten ahold of it and "opened the can of worms" so to speak. The parents who pushed this, just wanted their son to be able to compete with the High School Archery team (for the school that they are getting the Home school assistance from.)

Obviously this will affect all sports, and in general I agree with most of you that the bill needs amended to close the loopholes of recruitment, but allow for say a home schooled kid in Anderson Co, to be able to play sports for Anderson Co.

Although there needs to be some FAIR guidelines...nobody can convince me that it's fair to not let homeschool kids play athletics. Taxes are being paid, that's enough proof to me that home schoolers deserve that privilege.

It should be whats best for the KID. Period.

If kids are allowed to not attend the schools that they play for then you can bet your bottom dollar that super teams will be created immediately. This should not be allowed to happen under any circumstance but if it is then so be it and I don't want to hear anyone complaining when it becomes easier for moevement of athletes to take place.