Commissioner’s Response to Home School Proposal (BR396)

theguru

SECTION 1. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 158 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:

(1) A student enrolled in a nonpublic school, including a home school, is eligible to participate in an interscholastic extracurricular activity sponsored by or engaged in by the public school to which the student would be assigned according to district school board attendance policies or which the student could choose to attend pursuant to district open enrollment provisions, only if the nonpublic school does not offer the interscholastic extracurricular activity. A student eligible under this section who is selected to participate in an interscholastic extracurricular activity shall:

(e) Comply with the same physical examination, immunization, insurance, age, and semester eligibility requirements as other students participating in the activity.

-Negates the anti-immunization reason for home schooling

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SECTION 1. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 158 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:

(1) A student enrolled in a nonpublic school, including a home school, is eligible to participate in an interscholastic extracurricular activity sponsored by or engaged in by the public school to which the student would be assigned according to district school board attendance policies or which the student could choose to attend pursuant to district open enrollment provisions, only if the nonpublic school does not offer the interscholastic extracurricular activity. A student eligible under this section who is selected to participate in an interscholastic extracurricular activity shall:

(e) Comply with the same physical examination, immunization, insurance, age, and semester eligibility requirements as other students participating in the activity.

-Negates the anti-immunization reason for home schooling

I forsee lots of home schooled basketball players in Jefferson County.

So why wouldn't they just go to that school if they have an open district?

Home school due to academic eligibility?

What's the point if they can't get into college anyway?

They could still get into college.

One of the best swimmers in Louisville is home schooled. Signed/committed to a D-I school, IIRC.

Several state-ranked (KTA) tennis kids are home schooled, too.

Understand that home school kids can get into college. But why would this bill change the # of home schooled kids in jefferson county?

It won't change the number overall.

It will change the impact those kids have.

Fern Creek already had a good soccer team. Let them have two or three good homeschooled/KHSAA private school (without soccer)/KCAA school (there are several in Louisville) players and it makes it hard for schools to knock them off (especially from a nearby county, such as Bullitt or Hardin or Oldham, which have very few home schools and private schools and more restricted boundaries).

The bill would also turn athletes at Evangel Christian/Whitefield/Walden/Collegiate/Portland Christian into football free agents (hired guns).

Think anybody would mind if a couple kids from those schools wound up at Waggener (which already had a ton of transfers this year in their quick rebuilding mode)?

Think EKY football teams would care if Blazer added a good athlete or two from Holy Family or Rose Hill?

So why wouldn't they just go to that school if they have an open district?

Home school due to academic eligibility?

What's the point if they can't get into college anyway?

Why would you think home schooled kids can't get into college?

As long as they pay school taxes, I think they should be able to pay. I understand that the school doesn't get any $ without their butts in a seat, but still...

I'm for letting all of them play.

We've all seen an athlete or two (or twenty) over the years that has struggled to make the grades they needed to in order to stay eligible. Home schooling CAN be a great thing for some kids, but it has no requirements for testing - standardized or otherwise. What is to stop the parent of an athletically gifted and academically impaired student from pulling them out of the school system and "home schooling" them in order to let them play sports for the local school of jurisdiction without having to keep their grades up any longer?

[/b]

Why would you think home schooled kids can't get into college?

We've all seen an athlete or two (or twenty) over the years that has struggled to make the grades they needed to in order to stay eligible. Home schooling CAN be a great thing for some kids, but it has no requirements for testing - standardized or otherwise. What is to stop the parent of an athletically gifted and academically impaired student from pulling them out of the school system and "home schooling" them in order to let them play sports for the local school of jurisdiction without having to keep their grades up any longer?

That's what I was thinking by the original statement about more home schooled kids in Jefferson county. I was questioning whether that is because a kid can't keep grades at the high school, but mom/dad can home school and suddenly they have the grades. (academic fraud the right term?)

So if I had to home school my son to keep him eligible to play basketball, what would be the point? Meaning if I'm fudging the home grades, he isn't getting into college.

Is Jefferson county an open district?

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule 8

That's what I was thinking by the original statement about more home schooled kids in Jefferson county. I was questioning whether that is because a kid can't keep grades at the high school, but mom/dad can home school and suddenly they have the grades. (academic fraud the right term?)

So if I had to home school my son to keep him eligible to play basketball, what would be the point? Meaning if I'm fudging the home grades, he isn't getting into college.

Yes

Um, it happens at public schools, too.

Grades/classes can be changed/fudged there, too, on the transcript to the NCAA clearinghouse.

See Eric Bledsoe, Derrick Rose, Skal Labissiere. None were homeschooled. All had academic investigations/scandals.

Apparently Eric Bledsoe took Algebra II BEFORE Algebra I.

Rose's SAT scores shot off the charts (after taking it in a different city for some never-explained reason).

And Labissiere went to a "school" his guardian started for him.

Grades can be irrelevant when getting into college. If you're homeschooled and make straight A's, but have a 15 on your ACT, your grades are questionable. If you have all A's and make a 28, fair enough.

You're naïve to think giving grades to make kids eligible in public schools isn't happening. Geez, giving grades to kids who don't do any extracurricular activity has been done. The "move them on" mentality is alive in well. Retention is a very bad thing in public schools today.