Courier-Journal's list of Top 50 College Prospects in Kentucky

I don't remember anyone saying kids got DI offers by not attending camps.

I think you misunderstood the entire premise behind the statements made.

I will put it this way. DI recruiters aren't breaking down the Cooper door and hanging out at spring and summer practices like I bet they do at Male, Trinity, St X for example.

I've always said #1 camps/combines That has never been disputed. Now if you are suggesting that the program players play for has no influence to get kids even invited to some other camps or get recruiters attention then we will simply have to disagree.

I agree . There are many good athletes at Scott that I believe have the grades and size and ability to play at the next level and because of the name of the program and it's lack of exposure , the ones with a chance to play at the next level has a lot more leg work to do as far as getting noticed than some of the traditional winning schools . Camps, sending emails, videos, has been a chore for us thus far .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get some things out of the way so we can have a good discussion:

We agree that no kid from the "big" programs have received a D1 scholly without going to a camp.

We agree that college coaches have limited time to hit the road and will hit places they've had success at before.

As we've seen with kids from Conner, SK, and Ryle you can get a D1 scholly without playing for a "big" program.

So...what are really debating here as far as which players on this list have "earned" the recognition? Heck, a kid from SCOTT is on the list. That, by itself, should throw out the "if you don't go to...." thinking.

Sorry to ask but what is the name of the NKY newspaper? The only thing I can see so far is a bunch of people going after Jason Frakes and the CJ. Please tell me how many of the other local papers around the state write about some of the kids from Louisville? NKY paper mention Louisville kids....BG paper writing about Louisville kids...Lex paper writing about Louisville kids?

Again, compliments to Jason and many more guys before him that choose to cover the WHOLE state. 38 guys (out of 50) on the list from outside of Louisville...and some of you are crying about kids that didn't make the list from other parts of the state...calling someone a homer. Congrats to the 38 guys from outside of Louisville that made the preseason list of guys to watch. Again, can anyone share your local paper from around the state talking about Louisville kids?

Earlier this year I posted an opinion that the program in which you participate has influence over your recruitment exposure and credibility. The consensus was that there was so much highlight and game tape available, that everyone who was worthy of next level opportunity would be identified.

Well, if you accept that conclusion , and you accept this list as a credible list of prospects, then one would have to conclude that NKy does not produce a proportionate amount of next level prospects.

I disagree with that conclusion and assert that NKy football is disrespected, and will continue to be disrespected until we start going over the river and beating some folks over there! Furthermore, that disrespect hurts the recruitment of our athletes.

This part of the post is not directly posted towards you PP, just posted to speak about NKY in general.

If you travel outside of NKY and look at at the players that are getting D1 offers, you will see why there are very few in NKY. There are maybe a few in NKY that even look D1. If you do not have the size and speed you are not getting an offer. If you do not have the size you better be off the charts fast.

People need to remember that just because little Billie did great vs a D1 kid doesn't mean he is D1. In time because of size and speed that D1 recruit will develop and have to try and compete with a whole team of players that have similar or better measurables.

Go to a D1 practice and do the eyeball test for yourself. In NKY, if you think your kid has D1 size, go to a UC practice and stand there by the practice field, with your kid, when they come off the field to get a good look. When you are standing there and you say to yourself, "my kid is only an inch or two shorter," you have your answer, he doesn't have the size. In reality it is probably more like 3-4 inches shorter. Then go to Miami U, UL, OSU, and UK and do the same thing, there are really kids that big, strong, fast, and athletic just not many in NKY.

This part is towards PP because of his/her recruiting experience:

And you know better than anyone that being just 2 inches taller can make a big difference in recruiting.

Edited by doubledeuce

No, but I have been told personally by multiple D1/D2 recruiting coaches that they do not recruit NKy. I have also been told that if player A had gone to school B instead of school C he would have been more heavily recruited.

I visited close to 40 D1/D2 programs over a 3 year period and heard this over and over again. The story I get from HS coaches on this forum is in direct conflict with what I hear from the recruiters themselves.

As a side note, did you notice WKU moved their satellite camp from Ryle to Collins this year??

Yes, because the Bryson Warner, WKU connection isn't there anymore and there were almost zero D1 talented kids from the NKY attending.

It definitely seems fair to judge a "college prospects list" almost fully based on college offers. Not on they are being "looked at". I generally don't like lists like this because they do seem to leave kids out. But if 42 out of 50 kids HAVE OFFERS then no one should say someone else should make the list unless they ALSO HAVE OFFERS. And to this point no one has mentioned a kid not listed who has an actual offer. It would be foolish to say that us armchair QB's know more than the paid college scouts who's livelihood is based on getting this right.

With that said, I think Frakes should have to justify the 8 kids on this list not offered yet and be completely sure they are a step above the rest of the other non-offered kids.

He compiled the list, and it is a prospect list, not who is a better high school player list.

Sorry to ask but what is the name of the NKY newspaper? The only thing I can see so far is a bunch of people going after Jason Frakes and the CJ. Please tell me how many of the other local papers around the state write about some of the kids from Louisville? NKY paper mention Louisville kids....BG paper writing about Louisville kids...Lex paper writing about Louisville kids?

Again, compliments to Jason and many more guys before him that choose to cover the WHOLE state. 38 guys (out of 50) on the list from outside of Louisville...and some of you are crying about kids that didn't make the list from other parts of the state...calling someone a homer. Congrats to the 38 guys from outside of Louisville that made the preseason list of guys to watch. Again, can anyone share your local paper from around the state talking about Louisville kids?

There is no paper in NKY. That is why you have a shortage of players that get nominated for All State purposes as well. Heck the paper in NKY does not cover high school sports in NKY or SWOH for that matter.

There is no paper in NKY. That is why you have a shortage of players that get nominated for All State purposes as well. Heck the paper in NKY does not cover high school sports in NKY or SWOH for that matter.

Thank you, Jack! Had no idea. Very unfortunate for the NKY communities and especially the little league and high school kids. This is the best time of the year to pick up the CJ...preseason football, soccer coverage, volleyball coverage, field hockey...you name it. I'm just a big fan of everything they try to accomplish at the CJ - and I'm very appreciative for the fact they also try to cover other parts of the state. I have some roots or connections down and around Central KY. Love to see guys like Kendon Young get recognition. I would never know about the kid if it wasn't for you guys and people like Jason at the CJ.

End of the day, all you guys do a pretty awesome job of getting kids exposure. I've enjoyed my time reading and trying to add value to the conversations.

Think all you guys need to keep up the good work. Did anyone ever think we would have so much college football talent (at all divisions)? I thought KY was a basketball state!!

I disagree, but we've already had that argument. :lol2:

I'm having a brain cramp. What do you disagree with? You don't think the #1 way to get noticed is to attend camps and combines? I would disagree. Camps and combines are by far the best tool to get noticed and offers if you have the measurables etc.

Let's get some things out of the way so we can have a good discussion:

We agree that no kid from the "big" programs have received a D1 scholly without going to a camp.

We agree that college coaches have limited time to hit the road and will hit places they've had success at before.

As we've seen with kids from Conner, SK, and Ryle you can get a D1 scholly without playing for a "big" program.

So...what are really debating here as far as which players on this list have "earned" the recognition? Heck, a kid from SCOTT is on the list. That, by itself, should throw out the "if you don't go to...." thinking.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. You disagreed with me which confused me because we said the same thing. Only thing I added was that big time programs will get more looks from DI recruiters outside of camps etc. That is all.

You think the same amount of recruiters attend Boone and Cooper and Ryle and Conner spring practices than they do Trinity and Male and Manual etc.? I would tend to put my money on the fact that more DI recruiters attend the bigger programs spring practices etc. than the Beechwoods of our area.

The reason the big time programs get more looks is because the big time programs have more players with DI measurables. There are more players at Colerain for example with the DI build than at Simon Kenton. Those big programs attract attention. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just a fact is all.

I'm having a brain cramp. What do you disagree with? You don't think the #1 way to get noticed is to attend camps and combines? I would disagree. Camps and combines are by far the best tool to get noticed and offers if you have the measurables etc.

I agree that camps and combines are very important, and probably number one. I was referring to how much influence an athlete's program has on D1 viability. It was one of many topics covered in our discussion of the theoretical Boone County combined team.

Specifically I posted the following in response to your statement that Trinity had more D1 athletes than all of Boone County over the past five years because the former had better program recognition.

In regards to D1 offers depending on where you go: out of the 2015 class we have recruits like: Mason Wolfe (Henderson County 5-6 1st round loss), Aldwin Jackson/Mikal Ballard (Seneca 5-6, 1st round loss), Shaun Whittinghill (Moore 3-7 no playoffs), Nick Coffey (Russel County 1-10 1st round loss), Devon Wharton (Christian County 4-8, 2nd round loss), Chad Cessna (Hopkinsville 4-8, 2nd round loss), and Tyler Jefferson (Doss 5-7, 2nd loss).

I agree that camps and combines are very important, and probably number one. I was referring to how much influence an athlete's program has on D1 viability. It was one of many topics covered in our discussion of the theoretical Boone County combined team.

Specifically I posted the following in response to your statement that Trinity had more D1 athletes than all of Boone County over the past five years because the former had better program recognition.

In regards to D1 offers depending on where you go: out of the 2015 class we have recruits like: Mason Wolfe (Henderson County 5-6 1st round loss), Aldwin Jackson/Mikal Ballard (Seneca 5-6, 1st round loss), Shaun Whittinghill (Moore 3-7 no playoffs), Nick Coffey (Russel County 1-10 1st round loss), Devon Wharton (Christian County 4-8, 2nd round loss), Chad Cessna (Hopkinsville 4-8, 2nd round loss), and Tyler Jefferson (Doss 5-7, 2nd loss).

I never said however that other smaller programs don't have DI recruits. Shoot Drew Barker out of Conner is a perfect example along with the ones you posted. But bigger programs get more recruiters at their schools than other ones. I don't know but will take a guess that this years spring practice had several DI recruiters in attendance while none of the ones in Boone Co did unless they already had a player on recruiters radar already. That is what I was agreeing with the other poster on.