Courier-Journal's list of Top 50 College Prospects in Kentucky

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. You disagreed with me which confused me because we said the same thing. Only thing I added was that big time programs will get more looks from DI recruiters outside of camps etc. That is all.

You think the same amount of recruiters attend Boone and Cooper and Ryle and Conner spring practices than they do Trinity and Male and Manual etc.? I would tend to put my money on the fact that more DI recruiters attend the bigger programs spring practices etc. than the Beechwoods of our area.

The reason the big time programs get more looks is because the big time programs have more players with DI measurables. There are more players at Colerain for example with the DI build than at Simon Kenton. Those big programs attract attention. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just a fact is all.

We agree. They get the scout coming through town just to maintain a good relationship.

I am saying that just your high school is not the reason you did NOT get a D1 scholarship. Some think that contributes to it. I say it does not.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We agree. They get the scout coming through town just to maintain a good relationship.

I am saying that just your high school is not the reason you did NOT get a D1 scholarship. Some think that contributes to it. I say it does not.

Oh No, I never meant it that way. If that is what people thought by what I said then I just worded it wrong. We are in total agreement.

Let's get some things out of the way so we can have a good discussion:

We agree that no kid from the "big" programs have received a D1 scholly without going to a camp.

We agree that college coaches have limited time to hit the road and will hit places they've had success at before.

As we've seen with kids from Conner, SK, and Ryle you can get a D1 scholly without playing for a "big" program.

So...what are really debating here as far as which players on this list have "earned" the recognition? Heck, a kid from SCOTT is on the list. That, by itself, should throw out the "if you don't go to...." thinking.

Didnt Trinity's back up QB get a D1 offer a few years ago?

Didnt Trinity's back up QB get a D1 offer a few years ago?

And? Reggie Bonnafon was on the radar since his freshman year. When RB went to the Qb camps it didn't matter what high school he was going to, all you had to do was watch him.

When a high school kid that is going to be a D1 Qb walks into the room, you know it. Outside of slot receivers, running backs, and some cornerbacks, all you have to do is look at a high school kid and tell if he is a D1 type. This doesn't mean the player is necessarily D1, but when you see them it isn't hard to figure out why they are looking at them. Obviously there are exceptions...

:banana: 4 pages of spirited debate and I wonder what the total page count will end up at LOL!! Now, ask yourselves, does any of this really matter and what impact does this really have? It's someone's opinion which everyone is entitled to but really this has ZERO impact on anything. All the players are good and I'm sure there are 50 more that could be added but it means nothing.

However this is a forum so I'll just sit back and enjoy the show..:popcorn:

:banana: 4 pages of spirited debate and I wonder what the total page count will end up at LOL!! Now, ask yourselves, does any of this really matter and what impact does this really have? It's someone's opinion which everyone is entitled to but really this has ZERO impact on anything. All the players are good and I'm sure there are 50 more that could be added but it means nothing.

However this is a forum so I'll just sit back and enjoy the show..:popcorn:

It's fun way to pass the time. I just think there is a name that should be on there and hopefully it is next year. A kid who I think is under the radar but may have the best pair of hands in the area along with speed to help. Hoping next year the list includes a SR WR for Cooper...just sayin

First and foremost, Jason Frakes seems like a good guy, is a good follow on Twitter, and I've engaged in several conversations on there with him where he is fair and open-minded. The number of talented writers in KY that enjoy writing about HS sports could be counted on a blind butcher's left hand. Let's not run-down one of those left.

Secondly, these lists are impossible. Do I think only 3 from NKY seems low, sure, but have I seen / followed up on every kid in KY and have a strong case to debate him? Nope. I expected the LT from CovCath to be on the list, last name begins with an "R", but I'm sure he will be fine in the long run.

Jason, keep doing what you're doing and we will keep reading.

First and foremost, Jason Frakes seems like a good guy, is a good follow on Twitter, and I've engaged in several conversations on there with him where he is fair and open-minded. The number of talented writers in KY that enjoy writing about HS sports could be counted on a blind butcher's left hand. Let's not run-down one of those left.

Secondly, these lists are impossible. Do I think only 3 from NKY seems low, sure, but have I seen / followed up on every kid in KY and have a strong case to debate him? Nope. I expected the LT from CovCath to be on the list, last name begins with an "R", but I'm sure he will be fine in the long run.

Jason, keep doing what you're doing and we will keep reading.

Cue the golf clap....well said MTGL. Keep up the good work Jason! :thumb:

Great job Jason! I appreciate the work put into this & I'd be equally as enthused to read any other write ups throughout the state on who any writer thinks is in the same club as far as from other papers on the best players in the state, enjoy reading these things

As sad as it is he is right. I've seen it time and again with coaches, because a kid is bigger he must be better. My son doesn't pass the eye test but when they strap on the pads he somehow comes out on top. I put up with it my whole playing career. If you put me in a room now with 40 other guys and told a coach to pick out the person who played professionally they would probably overlook me. Coaches make many mistakes when it comes to recruiting, they can't measure desire to succeed.

He compiled the list, and it is a prospect list, not who is a better high school player list.

I'm not sure I understand... If Frakes has 8 players on his prospect list that don't have D1 offers isn't he saying he believes those 8 are the best non-offered players in KY?

I'm not sure I understand... If Frakes has 8 players on his prospect list that don't have D1 offers isn't he saying he believes those 8 are the best non-offered players in KY?

The coach's that submitted names thinks they are, it would seem. Frakes didn't make the list, from what I understand, he compiled the list from the names the coach's submitted.