JCPS-no school can have artifcial surface unless all schools have the funds for it!

I understand that Male and Manual have donors lined up to cover the cost of putting in an artificial playing surface at their stadiums. Director of Activities/Athletics for the JCPS, Mr.Jerry Wyman, has decreed that this would be too unfair to the other schools in Jefferson County.

This strikes me as odd since both of these schools already have a huge advantage in attracting certain students due to their magnet or traditional status.

I know Fayette county had the same thought and chose to redo all of their stadiums at taxpayer expense. Boone County High School had an offer from Shaun Alexander to pay for an artificial surface only to be told all schools needed to have a plan in place or none of the Boone county system would be allowed to add fake grass.

How do you feel about the topic?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be clear on the Boone County issue. Shaun was not covering the entire cost. Boone County schools ie taxpayers were going to have to pick up the difference. They were not willing to do that.

Ryle had a donor who covered the ENTIRE cost and had no issue with the school board.

Big difference.

Let's be clear on the Boone County issue. Shaun was not covering the entire cost. Boone County schools ie taxpayers were going to have to pick up the difference. They were not willing to do that.

Ryle had a donor who covered the ENTIRE cost and had no issue with the school board.

Big difference.

What Clyde said.

I was told Shaun was willing to cover most of the cost and no one at Boone stepped up to make the rest of it happen rather playing the "School Board Said Card."

I understand that Male and Manual have donors lined up to cover the cost of putting in an artificial playing surface at their stadiums. Director of Activities/Athletics for the JCPS, Mr.Jerry Wyman, has decreed that this would be too unfair to the other schools in Jefferson County.

This strikes me as odd since both of these schools already have a huge advantage in attracting certain students due to their magnet or traditional status.

I know Fayette county had the same thought and chose to redo all of their stadiums at taxpayer expense. Boone County High School had an offer from Shaun Alexander to pay for an artificial surface only to be told all schools needed to have a plan in place or none of the Boone county system would be allowed to add fake grass.

How do you feel about the topic?

I agree it is both hypocrisy (because you are right those schools already have advantages given to them by JCPS) and flat out stupidity.

If an individual school raises the money to improve student life let them do it.

I agree it is both hypocrisy (because you are right those schools already have advantages given to them by JCPS) and flat out stupidity.

If an individual school raises the money to improve student life let them do it.

I thought Central had turf too. I could be wrong though.

If a school can come up with the money to put turf down, they should be able to. Period.

Agreed. Like telling a (doctor/higher paid job) that they can't own the house they want because a (not high paid job) can't afford it. W

wording is a little weird but I think you get the message

Agreed. Like telling a (doctor/higher paid job) that they can't own the house they want because a (not high paid job) can't afford it. W

wording is a little weird but I think you get the message

I'm with you.

If a public school has a booster club that works their tails off and raises the money, they should be able to reward the program with a new field.

Somehow a few JCPS fields have rubber tracks. I'm curious to how that's not considered an advantage.

I think it's ridiculous with the cost to maintain so many fields. Turf them all, and put soccer lines in yellow.

Maybe someone with knowledge of turf can answer... How many years do you get out of a turf field?

Somehow a few JCPS fields have rubber tracks. I'm curious to how that's not considered an advantage.

I think it's ridiculous with the cost to maintain so many fields. Turf them all, and put soccer lines in yellow.

Maybe someone with knowledge of turf can answer... How many years do you get out of a turf field?

Currently they average about 10 years of use before you need to replace the surface.