JCPS-no school can have artifcial surface unless all schools have the funds for it!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Collins play their baseball games at the new baseball facilities out by the park ( I think it has tennis courts too).

Shelby County has their baseball/softball/soccer fields all in the sports complex by Clear Creek Park. The complex is owned by SCPS and that is where Shelby County plays their games since there is no room for those fields at the school. Collins has their own fields on campus.

Wasn't there a big problem with their original grass field that caused them to go to turf? I don't remember the whole story.

The problem was actually with the turf. I think there were problems with the drainage and it was closed during the 2nd year of the school and reinstalled.

I haven't been to Collins yet. I'm from there and recently saw the baseball facility at the park. It looked very impressive. It's been a long time since I have been to Shelby's field. I hope they have at least done some work to it. It would be sad if they haven't. Lots of special things happened there.

You cannot use student generated funds to upgrade/upkeep facilities.

So a school cannot use funds generated from games to cover the replacement of turf 10 years down the road.

Turf is also playing out to be not as cost effective as was original thought.

It is the higher ups at JCPS not Jerry Wyman. Jerry came up with a plan to do 2-3 schools every year and have JCPS pay for it but higher ups said no.

That makes perfect sense. They have to pay the 257 associate superintendents they have. :rolleyes:

JCPS is a hot mess and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

You cannot use student generated funds to upgrade/upkeep facilities.

So a school cannot use funds generated from games to cover the replacement of turf 10 years down the road.

Turf is also playing out to be not as cost effective as was original thought.

This isn't my understanding of the Red Book restrictions... I don't think gate receipts count as "student-generated." That would be fundraisers. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

I have been looking around to find independent information as to EXACTLY what JCPS said about artificial turf. A Google search has not yielded any results - does anyone have a linked article, minutes from a Board meeting, etc. to verify?

I think this is one of those things that the exact wording of the policy could make a big difference in perceptions of the policy.

This isn't my understanding of the Red Book restrictions... I don't think gate receipts count as "student-generated." That would be fundraisers. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Depends on what account it is deposited in.

I have been looking around to find independent information as to EXACTLY what JCPS said about artificial turf. A Google search has not yielded any results - does anyone have a linked article, minutes from a Board meeting, etc. to verify?

I think this is one of those things that the exact wording of the policy could make a big difference in perceptions of the policy.

You won't find anything in writing. That's how JCPS operates. They will not put anything in writing unless there is a court order making them put it in writing. No accountability that way. As far as fundraisers paying for maintenance and upkeep of a field, they have to manipulate student/parent generated fundraising money to pay for coaches first. As far as Jerry Wyman coming up with a plan to benefit schools and kids - I seriously doubt that he would go out on a limb for any school or kid before he would risk his own paycheck.

Agreed. Like telling a (doctor/higher paid job) that they can't own the house they want because a (not high paid job) can't afford it. W

wording is a little weird but I think you get the message

Your wording is ok with me. I'm thinking what kind of message does this send students, not just the athletes. Whatever the logic behind the PSJC decision, the decision itself is absurd. Thus, if the school system does not raise funds for everybody, school boosters have to act on their own. So they act on their own then are told by the Board forget about it?

And if an alum wants to give back to their school, wow, isn't that the message we try to instill in the kids, to think of those who follow you? Do for them what was done ~ or not done ~ for you?

Another issue, maybe the biggest: we are not talking about turfing just football fields but a field that all the school's teams + PE classes + community teams can play on.

Ryle's field happened through the generosity of the Borland Trust (Mr. Borland revived Newport Steel). Admittedly, a family member played a field sport there but it took that connection to jog awareness. The rest of the money was raised by the parents & supporters.

In many fund drives, big donors premise their gift on a show of support from other stakeholders.

Why must the enthusiasm of one school's boosters be rejected because other schools' supporters are quite happy with their children running around on bad fields blowing out their knees & slipping on their backs