Religious Controversy at Danville High School Event

Wireman

So we all agree that's it not an issue regarding separation of church and state since it's voluntary.

Who then gets to make the decisions as to which religions get to be represented? If it's not a church/state issue then I'd have to ask if there is really anyone who can say all religions have to be allowed to speak.

If a church hosts it can't the church say "We don't allow Jews to worship here" or "We don't allow anyone to pray to any god besides ours?"

When my mother passed, we were not allowed have an Elks ceremony in the Catholic church she was laid out in. Against church rules.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to argue you with you. But I'd be happy to see your proof with the God of Christianity is the same being as the Allah of Islam.

I'm not going to argue either, I know what I said to be the truth. The main reasons that some say they are not the same is either intolerance or ignorance (ignorance meaning uniformed). I will assume you fall into the latter.

The only difference is Muslims see God and being just God, not the Holy Trinity as Christians see it. But, in fact, the odd thing is, that Jews have a lot more in common with Muslims than they do with Christians, as Jews also see God in only one role.

Allah was the word used for God over 500 years before Islam, and today many Christian Bibles, not in the west, use the word Allah instead of God.

I would be upset with the guy speaker (why would you have a speaker at a religious mass - which probably had 75% or more Christians in attendance - dispute the resurrection?...that is just trying to be controversial for no reason). I was not there but I bet more Christians were more offended in the chanting by the muslim girl than her praying. The people who were upset may have viewed it as an "in your face" sort of thing. If she would have just offered a Muslim prayer, I bet the reaction would be different. I am not saying she should not be allowed to do it but just giving a possible reason for the reaction.

BTW, we had a Baccalaureate service at HHS when I graduated in 81.

So the Baccalaureate is of the Islamic faith (she has a twitter handle and expresses some religious view there - include a defense of the Islamic treatment of women). And its somewhat her duty to deliver the invocation.

So is she to delivery the invocation with Christian prayers provided to her? That would seem odd and very disrespectful. So she did what comes with the role and in the manner she would be comfortable and certainly some would say obligated to do. It was not a publicity stunt and the invocation seemed respectfully and authentically delivered in the audio at the blog.

What is altnerative - not have an invocation that refers to a creator entity at all? If so, then the public school would be being accused of pushing God (or Allah) out of the setting.

Had this been a stunt by a non-practicing person just to get attention one could see where it would be a story. But this seems to be about a student whose honor comes with small duty and she did it the only reasonable way.

I would be upset with the guy speaker (why would you have a speaker at a religious mass - which probably had 75% or more Christians in attendance - dispute the resurrection?...that is just trying to be controversial for no reason). I was not there but I bet more Christians were more offended in the chanting by the muslim girl than her praying. The people who were upset may have viewed it as an "in your face" sort of thing. If she would have just offered a Muslim prayer, I bet the reaction would be different. I am not saying she should not be allowed to do it but just giving a possible reason for the reaction.

BTW, we had a Baccalaureate service at HHS when I graduated in 81.

Mass is only a Catholic service. This Baccalaureate was multiple denominations.

My question is, if the situation was reversed and in an Islamic community a Christian prayer was said and the Koran was said to be just a story, what would the reaction have been in that community?

My question is, if the situation was reversed and in an Islamic community a Christian prayer was said and the Koran was said to be just a story, what would the reaction have been in that community?

I'm sure the ignorant Muslims would have expressed outrage.