Religious Controversy at Danville High School Event

Wireman

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the purpose of a baccalaureate service for a public school?

I used to think that it was typically a private (read Catholic) function. However, Mason County and St. Patrick School (Maysville) used to have a joint baccalaureate service on the Sunday prior to graduation. Not sure is they still do.

From Wikipedia:

Because of United States Supreme Court rulings[specify] regarding the separation of church and state, baccalaureate services are not official, school-sponsored events at American public schools.[1] However, many have student-initiated services at private facilities not paid for with government funds, and as such are fully permitted by law. Until recent years, school-sponsored baccalaureate services were common in American public schools, on school grounds.

Baccalaureate service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is a baccalaureate service period? Never heard of it.

I used to think that it was typically a private (read Catholic) function. However, Mason County and St. Patrick School (Maysville) used to have a joint baccalaureate service on the Sunday prior to graduation. Not sure is they still do.

We had one at Conner in 1981. It was in the gym. I remember the priest from my church being there along with the reverend from the local Lutheran church. I'm sure others were there as well.

It just seems that in today's world the service would be a challenge in many ways.

We had one at Conner in 1981. It was in the gym. I remember the priest from my church being there along with the reverend from the local Lutheran church. I'm sure others were there as well.

It just seems that in today's world the service would be a challenge in many ways.

Case in point.

I didn't think public schools were supposed to have prayer of any kind.

It wasn't at the school. They had to have theirs at Centre this year due to scheduling issues. They are normally at one of the local churches that is big enough to accommodate the crowd.

It wasn't at the school. They had to have theirs at Centre this year due to scheduling issues. They are normally at one of the local churches that is big enough to accommodate the crowd.

I'm rusty on this issue as my kids went to Catholic high schools.

Obviously it's not mandatory.

Do they bring in leaders from various churches? Does every religion get a chance to speak/pray?

I'm rusty on this issue as my kids went to Catholic high schools.

Obviously it's not mandatory.

Do they bring in leaders from various churches? Does every religion get a chance to speak/pray?

I believe so. It's really kind of like a joint church service honoring the graduating class.

Did I go to one of these? Bench, help me out.

If you open the avenue for prayer at this thing, don't get upset when prayer comes from it. Out of curiosity, was the Valedictorian Muslim? If so, he/she had every right and it is fitting for him/her.

The Blog writer seems to exaggerate the experience. But she does confess that she got up and left at the prayer so she has no way of knowing what went on after that.

My understanding is that a lot has been "read into" the event by those who were not there. If my info is correct there were other prayers and songs of the Christian faith.

A Baccalaureate Service is not a sanctioned event by the School so the "separation clause" is in effect. It is usually done by a student committee and/or area churches. So any argument of unfairness (as is rampant on Facebook) is not applicable because it was not a School Sanctioned event.

I think that the notion that someone other than a Christian prayed is the issue some have. I don't know what the speaker said or didn't say in the address because the report I read was from the Blogger who wasn't there for that and basing it on 2nd hand info. Thus possible that their source is as "up in arms" as the Blogger.

Did I go to one of these? Bench, help me out.

If you open the avenue for prayer at this thing, don't get upset when prayer comes from it. Out of curiosity, was the Valedictorian Muslim? If so, he/she had every right and it is fitting for him/her.

My understanding is that she is a practicing Muslim.