Is there an "attack on football this state has chosen to pursue"

theguru

Coaches,

I know the number of coaching changes throughout the state are directly related to the attack on football that this state has chosen to pursue. The feeling of being a second class sport in this state is bad enough. I resigned because of all the regulations and deadlines are overwhelming when you only have two assistants to help.

As a baseball official I see that it's important enough to safety that any non adult on the field has to have a batting helmet in the highly unlikely chance that a kid gets hit by a foul or thrown ball. The chances of a child getting hit by a thrown, kicked, or snapped football is way more likely to happen. This rule is terrible. We're supposed to be one of the leading states in concussion protocol yet we take away the one piece of equipment to protect the head. Women's soccer has the highest concussion rate per capita and they don't wear helmets either. I try not to get too upset with KHSAA but the constant change and regulations are one of the reasons I got out.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.

Russ Shearer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what rule he was referring to with his "yet we take away the one piece of equipment to protect the head" comment. Can someone fill me in?

The new rules change for the year doesn't allow helmets to be worn during June and only after dead period are helmets allowed to be used.

The new rules change for the year doesn't allow helmets to be worn during June and only after dead period are helmets allowed to be used.

Oh...I gotcha.

I took no helmets until after the dead period rule to mean they aren't allowing teams to go full-speed until after the dead period. If you can't wear helmets, can't go full-speed. If you aren't going full speed, you don't need to worry so much about protecting the head against concussions.

I guess that's all semantics, really, but that was the reason for my confusion.

In other words, I think this is less of a "why aren't we protecting against concussions" issue, and more of a "why won't they let our players go full-speed" issue.

They will still be allowed to do 7 on 7 and that without helmets is INSANE!!!!!

Players still go "full speed" during 7 on 7 and there is still contact.

Forget concussions for a second, the helmet also protects from facial and scalp trauma when two players collide and trust me players collide when doing 7 on 7. Also no helmets most likely means no mouthpieces since most kids have theirs attached to their facemasks. This is a stupid rule.

Forget concussions for a second, the helmet also protects from facial and scalp trauma when two players collide and trust me players collide when doing 7 on 7. Also no helmets most likely means no mouthpieces since most kids have theirs attached to their facemasks. This is a stupid rule.

I had assumed that the state was intending to prevent folks from going full-speed during 7-on-7's.

Worst concussion I ever had was playing flag football, obviously, without a helmet.

I posted this same statement on another topic.

I'm a little confused about the helmet issue in June...didn't the KHSAA outlaw football activities in June anyway? Shouldn't need helmets if you can't do football activities...right?

7 on 7 would be useless if you didn't run full speed. The whole purpose is to develop timing of the QB and receivers and to give D players a chance to cover pass routes and read offenses. Granted no hitting or tackling but there is still contact and even if you throw concussions completely out of the mix (which you can't) doing it without helmets is IMVHO much more dangerous then doing it with a helmet.

If the KHSAA is really concerned with player safety (and I think that they are) then this is one huge step away from that.

Edited by All Tell

Just shows that nobody in charge has a bit of sense. But a lot of people don't understand that 7 on 7 is more dangerous without a helmet. I debate about it all the time. One year of kids banging heads and complaint letters should do the trick though.

Or one play in a 7on7 game where 2 kids smash faces and suddenly they can't do math will solve it.

I hate to say it, but I feel that the most sure fire way to get it fixed is when something awful happens. Letters and emails are fine, but a kid with a broken nose and jaw who doesn't remember what happened is way more effective. You just don't want it to come to that.