Is there an "attack on football this state has chosen to pursue"

theguru

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what is being said here about helmets and concussions, but I think some people are missing the bigger picture.

1. Coaches should be teaching kids how to tackle correctly. Not only does this prevent concussions, but obviously, it makes the team better at tackling. Too often now, you see kids striking with their heads, forearms, and shoulders, with little to no wrapping. That's just bad tackling and it highly increases the risk of all kinds of injuries by both offensive and defensive players.

2. Which is more dangerous, a concussion or overheating? I'm no doctor by any means and both "injuries" are important, but it seems like losing the helmet for a month or so goes a lot further to prevent heat-related injuries than keeping it on to prevent concussions. I've heard of too many heat-related fatalities when it comes to summer football and I would think that's something that's worth preventing.

Why Football Matters, By John Harbaugh

The game of football is under attack.

We see it every day in the headlines and on the news. The medical concerns are pressing. The game has taken its share of criticism. President Barack Obama said that if he had boys he wouldn’t let them play football. Even LeBron James has publicly said no football in his house.

The question is asked over and over: Why would anyone want to play football? And why would anyone let their kids play?

Here’s my answer: I believe there’s practically no other place where a young man is held to a higher standard.

Football is hard. It’s tough. It demands discipline. It teaches obedience. It builds character.

Football is a metaphor for life.

Basketball gets June to scrimmage and football gets nothing. That's what basketball people don't understand.

Saying we get July is ridiculous. That's part of the season. BBall gets a month to get in as many scrimmages as possible and we can't even do passing league that month. It's ridiculous.

Give basketball ten days to get their offseason work in and then check the outrage.

Again, I don't see why basketball is even brought up in the thread, but it seems to keep being mentioned. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

You do get July, that's not ridiculous. It's a fact.

Why does the state feel the need to hamstring football while letting basketball basically have unlimited activity year round? How about banning ALL basketball activity in July? WOW I can hear the screaming now.

How about the state do something really proactive and mandate that every school that has a football team has an athletic trainer on site every day in case of injury rather then try to make feel good changes that IMVHO make football more dangerous by not allowing the kids to get used to wearing a helmet.

And if the state really wants to ban 7 on 7 why not just come out and say it?

I'll answer graph by graph again.

I'm not the state (KHSAA) you'd have to ask them if you think they are hamstringing football. I don't think they are, but that's another discussion. As far as I know ALL activity in any sport is only banned during the dead period. Why pick on basketball more than any other sport?

Again, I'm not the state, so I can't answer for the KHSAA. But, I kind of assumed all schools with football did have trainers on site every day. My guess is if that's not the case, the KHSAA isn't going to mandate it because that would open them up to liability. On the last part of this graph, again I don't get the "feel good changes" you are talking about.

On the last graph, I don't know. I'm not the state.

The state split to June Basketball and July football because of the overzealous football and basketball coaches in the state that couldn't get along with each other and were making kids choose.

Why do you believe a team having practice against itself is "skirting a rule"? The rule was no outside competition against other schools. It really had nothing to do with 7 on 7. It had everything to do with adults that couldn't get along.

To put the football timeline in perspective, July 22 is the 1st official day of practice in which a coach can take attendance and enforce attendance. First day of contact is August 1st. First Live contact scrimmage against another team is August 14. Football has 14 days of contact, including Saturday's and Sunday's, before they have the first live contact scrimmage and 21 days before the first game. Not to mention the football season starts in the middle of the hottest month of the year, in which there are multiple cancellations, delays, etc. due to the heat index.

Considering player safety, the football season should begin the first Friday in September and end the second week of December every year. Basketball would have it's first Game the Monday after the Semifinal games and continue their season through mid-march like they do now. Baseball could play mid-March through the end of school.

And there is not an attack on football in the state. All the new rules are designed to help player be more safe.

On the bolded, it's not me. Why is this personal? I clearly stated in the bolded you quoted (did you actually read it though) that in the "state's" eyes this was skirting the rule. Has zero to do with me. Just how I perceive the "state" looked at what was happening and led to their next action.

Again, I don't see why basketball is even brought up in the thread, but it seems to keep being mentioned. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

You do get July, that's not ridiculous. It's a fact.

That's part of the season!!!! Not the offseason or summer. It's not different that the beginning of basketball. That's what basketball people forget or don't care about.

If that's all basketball got besides 10 practices bball people would flip. That's the fact.

Sandman,

What one has to do with the other is that it seems to many football people that June passing league was eliminated so kids could focus on summer basketball.

Now if we want we have to do it during the practice season and are severely limited as to when. It cuts into potential practice time.

With summer basketball camps you lose nothing. It's not during the season and there seems to be no limit as it seems to go on until dead period.

It's not about safety. Passing league is as safe as basketball if not safer. It's either the state choosing one sport over the other or just not really knowing the value of summer work in football and the safety it can provide.

On the bolded, it's not me. Why is this personal? I clearly stated in the bolded you quoted (did you actually read it though) that in the "state's" eyes this was skirting the rule. Has zero to do with me. Just how I perceive the "state" looked at what was happening and led to their next action.

Thanks for the clarification. I read your posts. This is not personal at all. I was just trying to figure out how you came to your conclusion on the 'spirit of the rule'. Here is the actual rule and the actual "spirit of the rule". As stated previously, it had nothing to do with 7 on 7. It was about adults that couldn't get along. Key word within the rule is 'interschool'. The rule says nothing about 'intraschool', because it had nothing to do with football teams doing 7 on 7 against themselves in June, nor anything to do with basketball teams playing 5 on 5 against themselves in July.

The Rule

Sec. 2) RESTRICTIONS ON FOOTBALL AND BOYS’ BASKETBALL

Students shall not participate in any school vs. school (in any

format) or team competition in football between the earlier of the

last day of school and June 1 through June 24. During this period,

students may participate in activities such as weight training, skill

development, individual camps and accepted open gym or field

activities where no inter-school competition is involved. Students

shall not participate in any school vs. school (in any format) of

team competition in boys’ basketball between the end of the dead

period and July 31. During this period, students may participate

in activities such as weight training, skill development, individual

camps and accepted open gym/field activities where no interschool competition is involved.

The spirit of the rule

Case BL-24-1- What is the purpose of Bylaw 24?

Section 2 of Bylaw 24 was passed by the membership as a means of addressing a burgeoning issue in boys’ basketball and football, wherein the small population of available male athletes were being forced to make choices due to the wishes of adults, many of whom may not have had the overall best interests of the student-athletes as their number one goal. The rule specifies a period where school based competition (including anything that could remotely be perceived as required or using school facilities) cannot be held in football (June prior to the Dead Period), and cannot be held in basketball (July, after the Dead Period).

http://khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/20132014/bylaw24.pdf

Carry on...

Edited by Builder1214

I think we are starting to make some progress and I think Bluegrasspreps had some influence on some recent decisions/discussions. Next step is to fight for June back period!! I was disappointed that some football schools voted last time to give to basketball. What were you thinking?

Basketball keeps being brought up because they can basically practice year round with no limitations on what they can do, how many days they can do it and who can supervise/coach them.

Football lost 7on7 against outside schools in June, what exactly is basketball giving up in July?

I'll answer graph by graph again.

I'm not the state (KHSAA) you'd have to ask them if you think they are hamstringing football. I don't think they are, but that's another discussion. As far as I know ALL activity in any sport is only banned during the dead period. Why pick on basketball more than any other sport?

Again, I'm not the state, so I can't answer for the KHSAA. But, I kind of assumed all schools with football did have trainers on site every day. My guess is if that's not the case, the KHSAA isn't going to mandate it because that would open them up to liability. On the last part of this graph, again I don't get the "feel good changes" you are talking about.

On the last graph, I don't know. I'm not the state.

You know what they say about those who assume...

The feel good that I talk about is because concussion is the injury de jour, 2 years ago it was heat. They proposed this to make it look like they were doing something, no more no less. Thank goodness they came to their senses and will allow the kids to wear helmets on June 1.

This change would have done absolutely nothing to help prevent concussion and in my opinion would have led to more injuries because even though it isn't smart there would have been coaches doing competitive 7on7 without the helmet. Nothing in the proposed rule change would have stopped that.

If the KHSAA is serious (and I do believe they are) about player safety they will do something about the almost 40% of schools in the state that do not have an athletic trainer on site every day. LINK

Am I missing something when comparing Ohio and Kentucky football summer dates?

In Ohio it seems there are no practices allowed until August 1. In Kentucky lots of things are allowed before August 1.

In a comparative manner it seems Kentucky that is lot more liberal with restrictions than 'football state' Ohio.

Again, am I missing something?

Page 5:

http://ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/ftmanual.pdf

There are also corresponding restrictions on ALL sports in Ohio if I'm not mistaken.

Limitations on number of players from particular schools on AAU teams, restrictions on HS coaches coaching in AAU etc.

Do that in KY and there are not these problems of one sport getting preferential treatment.