Do parents of High School Athletes belong as Varsity Coaches?

HoopsLady

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Brandon Smith and Chuck Smith.

Ask the entire Jaggers family, the Buchanans, the list goes on and on of head coaches who coached their kids and then their kids turned into coaches in KY. Ulterior motive is at play here.

Let's try this again and fix the grammar ...

I consider parents of other kids on the team a much bigger problem than a father coaching his child. The problem with a coach having a child on the team is there will always be parents who have a tainted view making issues where none exist.

(You don't have to like it again Starks ;))

A couple of weeks ago it was the refs' fault; now it's the coaches' fault if they have kids on the team. So which is it? :idunno:

The basketballs were not inflated enough. (Just for certain players) lol

Let's try this again and fix the grammar ...

I consider parents of other kids on the team a much bigger problem than a father coaching his child. The problem with a coach having a child on the team is there will always be parents who have a tainted view making issues where none exist.

(You don't have to like it again Starks ;))

I would like to add that the majority of the "problems" are parents and their views of how things should be done. Parents complaining at home, no matter the reason, are a waaaay bigger cancer to a team and program than a coach having their kid on the team.

Should parents not be allowed to come to games when their kid plays high school?

I've coached both of my kids, and although I don't coach at the high school level (I've only risen as far as middle school), I've had no issues. When it comes to my kids, I've never been their position coach in football, and have let the other coaches determine playing time for my kids. I've seen my kids get benched for poor play. At no time has my kid ever gotten preferential treatment of pushed ahead of other kids. The only grumbling I've ever heard, was last year, when my then 8th grader was pulled up to wrestle varsity. However, the great thing about coaching wrestling is that all playing time issues get taken care of on the mat.

Coaches get married and have kids. There is no way to avoid it....if you coach long enough, you'll eventually coach your kid. Every coach I played for, and nearly everyone I've coached with has coached their kid, and at the middle school/high school level, I have rarely seen any issues. It absolutely happens at the youth level, but most coaches that do this for a living handle things very well. If dad's couldn't coach their kids, we wouldn't have any coaches.

A good coach should be coach, regardless of whether they have children on the team or not. A quality coach doesn't play favorites.

I know exactly what you are meaning here, but one of the best talks I ever heard was from a clinic where a coach said, "I play favorites."

If you:

- Do the right thing.

-Committed

-Make the grades

-Good Teammate

-Make plays

.....then, you are a 'favorite', so "Yes, I play favorites." Needless to say, that was stolen by several of us. :clap:

Every situation is different. If you're a coach first, then likely its not a problem. Almost all coaches eventually coach their kids, its just the way it is. If you're coaching because your kid plays, then I like problems are more likely, but not guaranteed.

This. I was just about to say the same thing.