Do parents of High School Athletes belong as Varsity Coaches?

HoopsLady

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, do not be fooled by this thread that is nothing more than an axe to grind. Not only is this topic asinine but the whole premise behind it is sad. You spoke your piece in the Walton thread. Move on.

Your answer depends upon who is coaching and what their agenda is.

Maybe you can explain why you put quote tags around the word. I would assume that:

a) It refers to someone that wants to be a coach but doesn't have the skill to do so or is not hired to do so OR

b) someone that you are trying to slight.

I will ask this question. Why has high school sports had to rely so much on parents coaching to begin with? I do agree with what someone said above and that is it depends on the "entire" situation.

Because coaches begat coaches. You do know that coaches have sex and make babies. Those babies grow up and play for mom or dad one day. Happens every year all across the world.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, do not be fooled by this thread that is nothing more than an axe to grind. Not only is this topic asinine but the whole premise behind it is sad. You spoke your piece in the Walton thread. Move on.

Spoken like someone who has an interest in this issue not being explored.

I will ask this question. Why has high school sports had to rely so much on parents coaching to begin with? I do agree with what someone said above and that is it depends on the "entire" situation.

While I like Starks post (truth and funny at same time) the bigger issue IMO is that it takes alot to coach anymore, its not just as easy as coach the game, those days are over. Way more to it now, and to some its not worth it.

Ive made it very clear to the wife that I will not be coaching my kids team when that time comes.

The High School Coaches kids in most cases that I've seen are pretty sound athletes. Probably because they are around the sport more due to coming up with a parent that coaches. I've seen more "Booster" kids get undeserved playing time than I ever have "Coaches" kids. At the high school level I have rarely seen a coaches kid get undeserved playing time.

In youth sports especially the younger kids I think most coaches do favor their own kids. Then again they are probably only coaching the few years their kid is in the league, then move on when their kid does. My opinion is that if you don't like the playing time the youth coach is giving his kid, pick up a whistle and coach a team.

In youth sports the "Booster" kid isn't a problem it the "Friend of the coaches" kid that is getting the most undeserved playing time in most cases.

Spoken like someone who has an interest in this issue not being explored.

No. Spoken like someone who saw all of your previous posts and thinks you should be ashamed for having posts that reek of the jealousy and bitterness that your soul harbors.

It's as simple as this: It's not an issue with a good coach, ever. It's always an issue with a bad coach. It's as simple as that.

A good coach knows to play whomever it takes to win and field a talented team. A bad coach will play favorites regardless of their child being on the team.

When I was younger, I had a coach on a travelling soccer team who had 2 sons on the team. Whenever award voting always came about, his kids were always nominated for something. They never were the best players at their position or on the team, but he always made sure his boys started and were seen and he always insisted that they were going to be college stars. Neither played after high school. But, the kid who was frequently benched for them graduated college with a fistful of national championship rings. After the coaches kids left the team, he remained the coach, and wouldn't you know it, he made poor player decisions then as well. It's almost like he wasn't smart enough to look at the real factors and make a decision based on that.

One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the impact that it has on the child. My dad always coached on my little league baseball teams, and if I got any sort of attention or reward for my play it was frequently brought to my attention that it was because of my father. I got the player of the game award? Yeah, it's because of my dad, not the walk off double that won the game. And it wasn't just other players, it was parents as well.

If I had kids, I wouldn't want to coach their teams because I wouldn't want to put them in that position. I know what it's like and it's not really fun at all. If my kids get anything, I want people to have zero doubt that it's based solely on their own merit, and not what they perceive my position to be.