Do parents of High School Athletes belong as Varsity Coaches?

HoopsLady

I say there is an inherent conflict of interest between those who coach their kids at the varsity level. I personally noticed these issues evolve in two NKy football programs where perception was that positions were now awarded based on merit and it destroyed bot programs from within. I don't believe these coaches can separate both interest and emotion that comes with coaching your own child. Particularly noticeable when processing performance criticism when it happens to be directed at their own child.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I coach basketball from 5th grade up to the high school level, and I have been told by more than one parent they are glad I don't have children on the teams and they wished it could be that way all the time. I don't have any kids so that was never something I dealt with. But I hear a lot about it.

What does this have to do with how good a coach is?

The "coach" overreacts to what they perceive as criticism. A critique of an athletic performance is not a critique of the individual. Parents who are also coaches cannot separate the two. If you cannot professionally deal with criticism, then you do belong in coaching.

A good coach should be coach, regardless of whether they have children on the team or not. A quality coach doesn't play favorites.

Does a quality coach bench their own child who has scholarship aspirations, over a higher performing player?

The "coach" overreacts to what they perceive as criticism. A critique of an athletic performance is not a critique of the individual. Parents who are also coaches cannot separate the two. If you cannot professionally deal with criticism, then you do belong in coaching.

Are they a "coach" or a coach?

Does a quality coach bench their own child who has scholarship aspirations, over a higher performing player?

Possibly. Coaches have a multitude of decisions to make and those who think that they know all of the answers usually aren't privy to all of the pieces of the puzzle. It's easy to criticize when you aren't in their shoes.

Reminds me of the one year coaching that I had 2 parents who were very vocal (to all the other parents and even talked to the AD about it eventually) about the fact that I played my kid way to much on the football field. Finally one of the captains on the team asked me one day at practice "Coach, which kid is yours on the team?" puzzled I asked what he was talking about. He said so and so's dad keeps saying you're playing your kid to much, I was wondering who was your kid on the team.......cause I didnt think you had any kids.

I didnt have any kids then, still dont now. It was a good laugh.

I have seen many good coaches who were parents, that coached their kids and were outstanding coaches. There have been a few bad ones in the group, but most do a great job.

Every situation is different. If you're a coach first, then likely its not a problem. Almost all coaches eventually coach their kids, its just the way it is. If you're coaching because your kid plays, then I like problems are more likely, but not guaranteed.

I coach basketball from 5th grade up to the high school level, and I have been told by more than one parent they are glad I don't have children on the teams and they wished it could be that way all the time. I don't have any kids so that was never something I dealt with. But I hear a lot about it.

I think it can work if the player involved is so obviously talented , that there is no conflict by that player chosen as a starter. If that is not the case, it can ruin not just a season, it can ruin a program.

Any agenda that conflicts with awarding positions on a competitive basis creates problems. Parent coaches are often there to facilitate the scholarship aspirations of their athlete. It is a powerful driver and is can be in conflict with team success.