Keeping Secrets from Your Significant Other

75center

The thread on couple finances and the discussion about separate bank accounts got me thinking about keeping secrets from your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend. One of the strangest ones I've been associated with happened several years ago. One of our managers quit the organization to try to get into the movie industry. Paid him his accrued pay and wished him well. About 3 months later I get a call from the guy's wife asking why they haven't been receiving his paycheck. I explained that he was no longer an employee and had not been one for months. She proceeded to argue with me that he certainly was an employee and we were going to be sued for back wages. I politely suggested she talk to her husband and hung up. About a half hour later I got a call from the guy apologizing. Seems he had neglected to tell his wife about his change of career. She thought he was working on a special out of town project and with separate accounts it took her that long to notice the lack of income flowing. Never heard from either one after that day.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back at the CPA firm when I worked there, had a wife find out her husband was having a fling with another girl when she brought in the stuff for their taxes. She had a shoebox of stuff and asked if she could use one of our conference rooms to get in organized for us. About an hour later she had that "a woman scorned" look to her and said, "no rush to do this, something more important has come up."

We sorta figured it out when doing the return, confirmed it when they came in separately to sign it. lol.

Honesty is the best policy, but not brutal honesty. I see so many young couples that talk to each other like "Sit Com Dialogue", you just can be that crappy to the person you love. Mad About You was the big sit com when we got married and we would watch it and just shake our heads at some of the stuff they said to each other, no body needs that much honesty :)

The only secret I keep from Mr. Cat is where I hide the Girl Scout cookies when they come home. :jump:

My wife made the mistake of telling me last week. I had pulled my Gene Wilder Young Frankenstein speech telling her not to let me know where they were no matter how much I yelled or pleaded. She failed miserably and now I have to go out and find more girl scout cookies.

Back at the CPA firm when I worked there, had a wife find out her husband was having a fling with another girl when she brought in the stuff for their taxes. She had a shoebox of stuff and asked if she could use one of our conference rooms to get in organized for us. About an hour later she had that "a woman scorned" look to her and said, "no rush to do this, something more important has come up."

We sorta figured it out when doing the return, confirmed it when they came in separately to sign it. lol.

Could just be me, but I don't follow this story at all.