9th Region at Bank of Kentucky Center potential problems

Found out today there could be MAJOR problems with the 9th region tournament at the BOKC due to NKU's Atlantic Sun Conference. Here is what I was told:

1. The BOKC is contracted to the 9th region for March 2-9 for boys and girls games.

2. If both NKU teams earn hosting spots in the A-Sun tournament, things become messy because the first round of men is March 3 - the same night as 9th region doubleheaders!

3. If NKU men advance to semis and are highest seed left, they would host both semis and finals, March 5th and March 8th. That CAN NOT happen in the BOKC because of the 9th region going on.

4. The NKU women would host on March 6th in a first round game, and that is a problem and conflict with the 9th region too.

One option is to play the NKU tournament games in Regents Hall to avoid the 9th region conflict. The NKU people not want this, but the may have no choice. They already are playing a women's game in Regents Hall in two weeks, so the facility should be basketball ready - if the mice are gone!

The other option I was allowed to see is so convoluted, it is a nightmare to even think about with all kinds of who plays here, lets play the girls 9th region somewhere else, you name it! It is going to get really interesting because I was told the A-Sun is not particularly strong and anything could happen on the men's side.

The 9th region will be played in the BOKC. NKU? That will get interesting to see who gets first dibs on the arena if there is the conflicts!

What say you, BGP'ers? 9th region or NKU if you have to choose one!:lol2:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When are the teams of the OVC going to come to their senses and admit NKU into its conference???

It would be mutually beneficial for the OVC who would have a wonderful facility in which to host their tournament, and NKU in the OVC would be an asset to the leage. Do the OVC teams really feel that by having the BOKC that NKU has a tremendous recruiting edge that would weight conference play in their favor???

I have no interest in the Atlantic Sun conference, the people of this community have no interest in the Atlantic Sun Conference, and if the truth be known NKU has no interest in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

When are the teams of the OVC going to come to their senses and admit NKU into its conference???

It would be mutually beneficial for the OVC who would have a wonderful facility in which to host their tournament, and NKU in the OVC would be an asset to the leage. Do the OVC teams really feel that by having the BOKC that NKU has a tremendous recruiting edge that would weight conference play in their favor???

I have no interest in the Atlantic Sun conference, the people of this community have no interest in the Atlantic Sun Conference, and if the truth be known NKU has no interest in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

To the bolded, the OVC plays their conference tournament at a neutral site. In Nashville for the longest time, although their current agreement is up I believe at Municipal. Not sure if it will be renegotiated or if it will shift to Lexington to Altech Arena. It has not been hosted by an OVC school in over 25 years I would say.

RE: The recruiting advantage. Is that what the Northern Kentucky rumors are, they do not want NKU because of their "recruiting advantage"? Why would they allow teams from Nashville if that were the case? If they could kick out Jacksonville State, it would be a good addition to the OVC (East).

To the bolded, the OVC plays their conference tournament at a neutral site. In Nashville for the longest time, although their current agreement is up I believe at Municipal. Not sure if it will be renegotiated or if it will shift to Lexington to Altech Arena. It has not been hosted by an OVC school in over 25 years I would say.

RE: The recruiting advantage. Is that what the Northern Kentucky rumors are, they do not want NKU because of their "recruiting advantage"? Why would they allow teams from Nashville if that were the case? If they could kick out Jacksonville State, it would be a good addition to the OVC (East).

Is there an issue with NKU not having a football team? It is my understanding that most OVC football programs lose money.

Is there an issue with NKU not having a football team? It is my understanding that most OVC football programs lose money.

I would say that is true. In football, only 9 teams participate (SIUE, Moorhead State, and Belmont do not). 12 teams for basketball with two divisions. Some scuttlebutt that Lipscomb could be a potential target.

One option is to play the NKU tournament games in Regents Hall to avoid the 9th region conflict. The NKU people not want this, but the may have no choice.

The 9th region will be played in the BOKC. NKU? That will get interesting to see who gets first dibs on the arena if there is the conflicts!

What say you, BGP'ers? 9th region or NKU if you have to choose one!:lol2:

There is a contact for the regional games at the BOK, which BTW will have a lot more fans than any NKU game. NKU, if they get so lucky to host and then advance, will have to play at Regents. Or further screw up their PR, really take a huge PR with those in the NKY area.

Easy call........Who draws more fans? NKU or High School hoops.......problem solved.

Atlantic Sun teams Welcome to Regents Hall.

Do you all realize that the BOKC in NKU's home court. Your dreaming if you think the NKU men will play in Regents. I could see the 9th region girls being moved to Regents, plenty of room for them.