Sydney Moss vs Jamie Walz

Guest Scotty2hotty

Guest Scotty2hotty
Does anyone have Jamie's career FT%? What about 3 point Shooting %? She could drain it from Deep downtown. Her Ball handling skills and Basketball I.Q. were off the charts. I would bet the house today that Jamie could still out shoot Moss even being removed from the game for so many years. I have heard that she still puts on a Shooting Clinic for her players during practice on any given day. I take Walz!

Many girls can out shoot Moss, none can stop her.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw both play many times and it isn't even close......Walz hands down. I remember a 4 or 5yr old Jamie Walz coming to our middle school practices and practicing the whole time we practiced. She could knock them down back then also. If it wasn't for her knee injuries who knows what she would of done in college and after.

Walz stats.

Total career points - 4948 (1st all time, boys or girls)

Total Rebounds - 1762 (4th all time)

Steals - 1004 (2nd all time)

Assists - 1354 (1st all time)

Other notes:

Scored 1000pts in a season TWICE!

Avg 37 per night her junior year with most teams playing a triangle and two...and the two on her!

Scored 60 against Conner in a game and followed that up the next year against Conner with 53!

All those points and still leads in assists

Gatorade National Player of the Year.

Moss is OUTSTANDING, but still a notch behind Walz...as is everyone else! She's not a bad one to be behind or even be put in the same league.

One thing I will say about Walz...even though she scored all those points, she did not have a selfish bone in her body. She could have easily scored many more. Proof of that is her assist numbers.

How much bigger is Moss than Walz?

Also, is it fair to say that womens' hoops is more competitive nowadays (in Moss' era) than it was when Walz was playing?

No way! There were good teams in the 9th then too! Alot of good players but Walz was a special player!

Guest Scotty2hotty
Doesn't look like there's any doubt who was the best high school player, post high school is a different question.
This was my line of thinking.

But think about the points Walz put up. Over 5000. Can't remember what the total was, but that's 30 points per game from the 7th grade on! (assuming they played 30 games a year).

Moss was unreal...and a great athlete. Walz was Gatorade National Player of the Year.

In all fairness to Jaime Walz, girl's basketball is a different game today than it was in 1996. I'm not saying that Jaime wasn't a great high school player, she certainly was. She actually gets cheated in the state records with 4948 pts because she played as a 6th grader and those pts don't get counted in the records. I believe she might have even started she was that good. I saw her play and believe me there weren't many fans in the stands back then and a lot of those wouldn't admit being there. If anything I think Jaime was a pioneer for girl's basketball as girls everywhere in this area wanted to be like Jaime but Sydney Moss is a real athlete that does and probably will get a chance to play in the WNBA. I don't believe that had Jaime been playing today that she would get that chance, just my opinion.

I've seen both Walz and Moss and both were/are outstanding. To throw a wrench in things, would Donna Murphy been better than either? I didn't see her play, but her resume is something.

Donna Murphy was really ahead of her time in 1976. She was a tremendous athlete and did actually play in a women's professional basketball league but women's basketball back then was always on the back page of any sports pages.

Donna Murphy was really ahead of her time in 1976. She was a tremendous athlete and did actually play in a women's professional basketball league but women's basketball back then was always on the back page of any sports pages.

One of only 2 high schoolers to be invited to the 1976 Olympic basketball tryouts. Must of been a heck of a player.

Guest Scotty2hotty
Good point. Perhaps you should have lead with that other than the weak dominating at TM point. There is an art to this.

As with freshmen and sophmores this time of year, Im learning and hoping to improve with each post!

Doesn't look like there's any doubt who was the best high school player, post high school is a different question.

This.

There isn't even a debate about who was the better high school player. In fact, to be perfectly honest I am not sure Moss makes the top 20 high school players in KY all time. Walz is in the top 5 no doubt.

The question is who is the better player. I need to know how we are supposed to define that.