Sydney Moss vs Jamie Walz

Guest Scotty2hotty

This.

There isn't even a debate about who was the better high school player. In fact, to be perfectly honest I am not sure Moss makes the top 20 high school players in KY all time. Walz is in the top 5 no doubt.

The question is who is the better player. I need to know how we are supposed to define that.

You can't be serious can you? She was Miss Kentucky in the modern era and she can't make your top 20 all-time in Ky.? What do you base that on, stats?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamie Walz

I have seen them both play

Walz was far and away the better all-around ballplayer.

A bit apples and oranges here, since Walz was a guard and Moss a forward.

Moss is a back-alley brawler who uses her size and aggressiveness to get it done.

Walz was a naturally-gifted athlete who was far superior to anything she competed against in her era.

Many girls can out shoot Moss, none can stop her.

Ding ding ding, winner...

This is the key word to this entire debate..."Girls" and sports.

I do not care what level they play at or what sport they play when an athlete is gifted with talents it shows by the numbers, when an athlete is gifted with "physicality" it makes up for the numbers and it reeks of dominance.

Walz had the numbers and is a better basketball player even in todays game,jmo. Moss is a beast amongst women that nobody will mess with and the numbers she puts up come from default and alot of practice.

Moss dominated at the HS level as girls were just scared to death of a girl with a mohawk, heck she scared me... In college she still played with the nastiness to keep girls away from her and did very well for herself and has worked very hard to get to where she is today.

I am not real sure, but this whole WNBA thing might be a really big step for her. I hope not as I am rooting for her and wish her nothing but the best:thumb:

I've seen both Walz and Moss and both were/are outstanding. To throw a wrench in things, would Donna Murphy been better than either? I didn't see her play, but her resume is something.

Seen Walz and Murphy play HS basketball and IMO Murphy was the better player

You can't be serious can you? She was Miss Kentucky in the modern era and she can't make your top 20 all-time in Ky.? What do you base that on, stats?

Just did the research. There have been 38 Miss Kentucky winners, starting with Donna Murphy as the first one in 1976. Virtually every winner went to a D1 school. I agree that Moss is a special player but I am not convinced she is one of the top 20 all time high school girl players in KY. history.

Seen Walz and Murphy play HS basketball and IMO Murphy was the better player

Moved your quote from the other thread over here to discuss.

"I really liked her as a player but have seen better players than her in KY HS... For one Donna Murphy from Newport in the 70's was much better than Walz."

I never saw Donna Murphy play as I was only 10 then and didn't pay attention or even know girl's played basketball back then! So I can't really comment on her as a player other than hearsay. From what I've heard, I'm sure she was very good and worthy of the discussion.

But in the bold above, you make it sound like others have been better as well. You looked at the stats and the honors I posted above, right? Obviously many others around the country felt she was close, if not the best in the country in her time. There are too many that have come even close to that honor in high school. Then just look at the stats. If she was a ball hog and shot all the time and never played defense or rebounded and the scoring numbers were escalated, then I could lean you way a little more. But she was near the top in almost every category that is measured! That alone is ridiculous!!!

Just did the research. There have been 38 Miss Kentucky winners, starting with Donna Murphy as the first one in 1976. Virtually every winner went to a D1 school. I agree that Moss is a special player but I am not convinced she is one of the top 20 all time high school girl players in KY. history.

Well, Moss did go D1, and was very successful. No reason to believe she wouldn't have had a very good College career at Florida.

Well, Moss did go D1, and was very successful. No reason to believe she wouldn't have had a very good College career at Florida.

I agree. My point is in response to EZ Living's comment. When looking at the top 20 players in Kentucky girls history, I don't think going D1 and winning Miss Basketball automatically put a player in the top 20.