Jeffersontown 61 Apollo 48

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to J-Town!! They deserve the championship and even better I think they did something no team has ever done in any state title, 5 wins in 6 days!!! WOW!! They really have a nice team and amazing talent.

As for Apollo, hold your heads high you are the example of what can happen if you never give up. Being a fan of CovCath I will say that no one in NKY and not many if any in Lexington picked Apollo to win 1 game. But the did more than that and made a run for title that was simply awesome. I didn't want to cheer for Apollo after they sent home the Colonels of CovCath, but I found that impossible.

Doug Denton might not have had the game of his life vs. CovCath, but he had the tournament of his life vs. the state of KY. He had one specail week and put the Apollo boys on his shoulders and carried them all the way to the championship game. Every team in KY wishes they had a floor leader like Doug and for seeing Apollo for the first time I was very impressed after this young mans tournament. Congrats to Apollo and hold your heads up high, you'll never be forgoten.

Congrats to Jtown, THE STATE CHAMPS!!! Congrats to the Apollo Eagles on a fine run! We are PROUD of you out west, here in the 3rd Region!!!!! While some may run down your style of play, it did work for you and that's all that matters! You did the same against us in the Region Championship, it took you three overtimes to win, but you did win! My hat is off to you guys!!! You won't hear us Ohio County fans complain about your style of play, we lost fair and square and you won fair and square. I'll see you in baseball this year Jake and good luck with your baseball career at WKU next year!!!

The dream ended just a bit earlier than I would have wanted, but realistically you have to be pleased with how well Apollo did this week. Pre-season many had predicted them to finish 5th or 6th in the 3rd Region.

I had posted on here at the beginning of the season to remember the name Tyler Brown, but I sure didn't expect that he would have an opportuinty to have his coming out party so to speak so quickly. Tonight he was basically asked to try to carry this team on his back, until he finally got some help late in the game. Pretty tough assignment for a Sophmore.

Apollo simply had no answer for the athleticism of J-Town. The big guy #14 gave them fits. I think Apollo was also a little fatigued. Everyone is aware of what they did while at Rupp, but they have had there backs against the wall for much longer than that.

Many did not think that they would get past the first round of district, as they had to attempt to defeat Owensboro for the third time this year, after defeating them twice in two very close games the second of which went to double overtime. Well it took another overtime period before they finally prevailed and were assured a berth in the 3rd Region tournament. In the 9th District Championship, Apollo was defeated by O Catholic as was expected by most.

First round of the 3rd Region, they had to go on the road to attempt to defeat Muhlenburg North for the third time this season. Tony Hopper had another successful homecoming, again getting the best of Steve Sparks's team. Then it they needed overtime to avenge an 11 point road loss to Meade Co. Finally came the 3rd Region Championship and what will soon be legendary triple overtime classic, in which they avenged a 5 point home loss to Ohio Co.

At state, according to this website, nobody gave them a chance to play with Covington Catholic, and they were fortunate to overcome around 25 turnovers. The Mason Co. game may be the only game in which anyone gave them a chance to win, but they were still likely the underdogs according to most, and had to resort to "Bush League" tatics to cheat their way into a semi-final appearance.

The Eagles were not given much of a shot to defeat PRP, but they played with as much heart as I have ever seen (or at least heard on the radio) and were able to pull of the shocking upset. According to a post on another website, the KHSAA gave this game to Apollo for financial reasons (not wanting an all Louisville final) as phantom fouls were called to disqualify Crutcher, and but the others in serious trouble. Of course this same poster fails to mention that for Apollo Little and Duval picked up 3 and 2 fouls respectively by the 1st quarter, and that Tyler Brown, missed the majority of this game due to fould trouble, and really wasn't much of a factor.

Which leads us to tonight, in which J-Town absolutely abused the Eagles and would have ran away with this game by halftime, if Tyler Brown hadn't single handedly keep the score within the realms of a possible comeback. J-Town appeared to want it more and was the aggressor, and forced the tempo of the game, something no one else had been able to do. From the opening tip Apollo just never seemed to get into the flow of the game, until it was too late. Maybe the mental strain had finally caught up to them being in the underdog role for so long. Or more likely J-Town was just physically superior and would not be denied. What really impressed me about J-Town was that they got the job done and the foul line, even the big guy and would let Apollo creep back into the game.

Congratulations to the Apollo Eagles for an excellent and surprising season. I'm still in shock that they actually made it to the championship game. As they only lose 3 seniors hopefully they can build upon this experience and make it back again next year.