What will it take to stop Highlands?

sportsfan41

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing it will take to stop Highlands is a team that fully platoons. And a team that has 20-25 players to sub on each side of the ball. I don't understand why teams don't understand this.

40 to 50 quality varsity players? Hell, Highlands doesn't have that.

The first thing it will take to stop Highlands is a team that fully platoons. And a team that has 20-25 players to sub on each side of the ball. I don't understand why teams don't understand this.

Simon Kenton fully platoons and plays around that many kids a game.

40 to 50 quality varsity players? Hell, Highlands doesn't have that.

To be honest Clyde, I did not say they had to be "quality" players. Highlands does play 18 or so on each side of the ball. I'm sure the Highlands fans will attest to the fact that all of those players are not overly gifted, but they do play and do what is asked of them. For teams to match up with Highlands, they have to fully platoon and play 18-20 players on each side of the ball. Don't have 40 players? You need to develop 40 players that can do their assignment.

To be honest Clyde, I did not say they had to be "quality" players. Highlands does play 18 or so on each side of the ball. I'm sure the Highlands fans will attest to the fact that all of those players are not overly gifted, but they do play and do what is asked of them. For teams to match up with Highlands, they have to fully platoon and play 18-20 players on each side of the ball. Don't have 40 players? You need to develop 40 players that can do their assignment.

This would be a start for sure.

I completely agree that teams need to platoon if they want to hang with Highlands for the full 4 quarters. Even when most teams compete with them for a half, they are gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter.

I love the idea of it and think more teams should try it, even if they don't have their best athletes on the field all the time. That said I believe it would still be hard for most schools to do, on average there is just more talent at Highlands than other schools of equal size. They also have an excellent feeder system I believe.

I That said I believe it would still be hard for most schools to do, on average there is just more talent at Highlands than other schools of equal size.

I have to disagree with this, and I know many of the Highlands fans have agreed with me in the past. Highlands does not have that many "More" talented players. Everyone has the special athletes, what Highlands does better is they develop the not-so-special athletes.

More schools have to take the plunge and platoon. The argument is always the same, "we don't have enough athletes to platoon". No one has 22 great players, you have to develop players to be able to do one job, and let the true athletes do their thing. It has to be a commitment, not an experiment.

I have to disagree with this, and I know many of the Highlands fans have agreed with me in the past. Highlands does not have that many "More" talented players. Everyone has the special athletes, what Highlands does better is they develop the not-so-special athletes.

More schools have to take the plunge and platoon. The argument is always the same, "we don't have enough athletes to platoon". No one has 22 great players, you have to develop players to be able to do one job, and let the true athletes do their thing. It has to be a commitment, not an experiment.

In addition: how good can an average athlete be if they practice every day at ONE position? And, how good can an average athlete be if they practice their position every day against the starters on the other side of the ball?

If you think about it, it is counterproductive to take your "average" athletes and make them learn TWO positions, because they only get to practice each of their TWO positions two days a week and practice them against your back up players. Wouldn't they get better if they only had to practice ONE position, and practiced that ONE position every single day, and practiced that ONE position against the best you have on the other side of the ball?

In addition: how good can an average athlete be if they practice every day at ONE position? And, how good can an average athlete be if they practice their position every day against the starters on the other side of the ball?

If you think about it, it is counterproductive to take your "average" athletes and make them learn TWO positions, because they only get to practice each of their TWO positions two days a week and practice them against your back up players. Wouldn't they get better if they only had to practice ONE position, and practiced that ONE position every single day, and practiced that ONE position against the best you have on the other side of the ball?

:sssh: