What will it take to stop Highlands?

sportsfan41

It would be nice if some other schools tried it.. As logical as it is, I just don't understand why more teams are not at least trying it.. I understand the fear, but obviously it works. The top tier high school teams do it and obviously college and pro teams do it. The crazy thing is very few high school coaches even give it a chance in this state.

Platooning at schools like Highlands is the reason for my argument that High School enrollment numbers do not make a difference in the level of competition, weather a team platoons or does not platoon is the difference maker. That is why you see 1A and 2A teams beating 4A and 5A teams, neither team is platooning and the playing field is pretty level. But, if you take a non-platooning 2A team and have them play a full-platooning 4A team you will see the 4A team winning.

Ever wonder how Raceland and Russell compete and sometimes beat Ashland? Neither team in the game is platooning. If Ashland ever goes to a full-platoon system you will not see Raceland and Russell completing with them.

The same is true for teams playing Highlands. If Highlands is platooning and the other team is not, Highlands wins. To have a chance, opposing teams have to platoon.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Platoon a team with at least 15 kids on each side and have a balanced offense it works SK is 30-4 in the last 34 games 3 seasons.

With no state titles, that doesn't impress me. Apparently it's not working. Better figure it out before next year, you got one on the schedule that isn't a cupcake. The crow has been ordered. :laugh:

With no state titles, that doesn't impress me. Apparently it's not working. Better figure it out before next year, you got one on the schedule that isn't a cupcake. The crow has been ordered. :laugh:

So you plan on serving it to your self?

Every play? No, not every play. :D

They was last year. I haven't watched them play this year. It seems like every year Highlands gets hit hard with injuries. My team has only had a few injuries. Did Highlands have alot of injuries against Elder and the Florida school?

They was last year. I haven't watched them play this year. It seems like every year Highlands gets hit hard with injuries. My team has only had a few injuries. Did Highlands have alot of injuries against Elder and the Florida school?

They had more than their share happen against both, some just nicked up for a couple weeks, others are done. Seems to happen fairly often against those type of teams. I have mentioned to my wife many times that I don't recall many injuries when I played. The boys are so much bigger, stronger and faster than we were, it's a whole different world. I can't imagine another 40 years down the road.

They had more than their share happen against both, some just nicked up for a couple weeks, others are done. Seems to happen fairly often against those type of teams. I have mentioned to my wife many times that I don't recall many injuries when I played. The boys are so much bigger, stronger and faster than we were, it's a whole different world. I can't imagine another 40 years down the road.

That is going to be tough in the playoffs losing starters for the season.

It is tough but the next man up works well when they are not new to the system and have spent time playing throughout the year even if only in limited playing time. I for one am really excited Highlands will being playing closer to home the next two years. Getting Simon Kenton on the schedule again is a plus if they maintain the level of play they have had recently and don't revert to time gone by. In 1998 the Bird's last visit to Independence SK played one of the better games all year against the Bird's. Nevels spent almost as much time in their backfield as the QB. Final was 28-12.

That is going to be tough in the playoffs losing starters for the season.

Of course every team faces the threat of injuries every game. Playing the Elders and FL schools results in such a great atmosphere. It's a different role for HHS to be the underdog but I think the players like it. It sometimes does have it's cost though. As mentioned, it does give the next guy up his opportunity. Patrick Towels took over his sophomore year when Will Bardo was hurt against Cinti St X. Both have gone on to college success so sometimes it all works out. The backups have been practicing all year and have had good playing time. It would be nice to have a little more time to get them experience but it is what it is.

Don't forget the age old recipe of... having a couple national talent stars on both sides of the ball. There are a lot of solid teams out there that you add a couple all stars to and they get it done. Esp a QB and running back You put up points and keep HHS offense on sideline.

Now which team puts that together IDK.

- Sound defense with depth and athletic corners

- Platoon football

- Playmakers on offense at both RB and QB

- Elite speed

There is no team in 4A I see possessing all those qualities.

I agree and would add a great coaching staff...because even with all that, a staff would still have to make in game adjustments because HHS would. But agree, you first have to have the talent to be able to pull the levers during the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Platooning at schools like Highlands is the reason for my argument that High School enrollment numbers do make a difference in the level of competition, weather a team platoons or does not platoon is the difference maker. That is why you see 1A and 2A teams beating 4A and 5A teams, neither team is platooning and the playing field is pretty level. But, if you take a non-platooning 2A team and have them play a full-platooning 4A team you will see the 4A team winning.

Ever wonder how Raceland and Russell compete and sometimes beat Ashland? Neither team in the game is platooning. If Ashland ever goes to a full-platoon system you will not see Raceland and Russell completing with them.

The same is true for teams playing Highlands. If Highlands is platooning and the other team is not, Highlands wins. To have a chance, opposing teams have to platoon.

Great post and let me add Dale coached in OH and also competed and just could not beat the Bigs in Cinti until he came to Highlands.

He worked hard and built the Jr League football program into a 400+ strong feeder system and when he saw that the time was right he started platooning. It didn't begin any one summer day and it didnt happen all at once, it happened gradually over about 4-5 yrs and then in 2009 he knew he had the perfect team to go 100% two platoon.

Trust me, there were yrs after 09 that he had no business 2 platooning and left one scratching their head as to why he wouldn't let his stud play both ways but the results were always the same until his final season, the man set the bar very for teams to reach overnite and he knew this when he retired...

Either way, my point is this doesn't happen over night, a coach had better have a 5 yr minimum and possibly 7 yr plan in place and be willing to take his losses along the way and be willing to also be patient and not panic...

Oh yeah, you got to have an "all in" football community, feeder system and some special athletes:thumb:

Great post and let me add Dale coached in OH and also competed and just could not beat the Bigs in Cinti until he came to Highlands.

He worked hard and built the Jr League football program into a 400+ strong feeder system and when he saw that the time was right he started platooning. It didn't begin any one summer day and it didnt happen all at once, it happened gradually over about 4-5 yrs and then in 2009 he knew he had the perfect team to go 100% two platoon.

Trust me, there were yrs after 09 that he had no business 2 platooning and left one scratching their head as to why he wouldn't let his stud play both ways but the results were always the same until his final season, the man set the bar very for teams to reach overnite and he knew this when he retired...

Either way, my point is this doesn't happen over night, a coach had better have a 5 yr minimum and possibly 7 yr plan in place and be willing to take his losses along the way and be willing to also be patient and not panic...

Oh yeah, you got to have an "all in" football community, feeder system and some special athletes:thumb:

Is that all it takes? :idunno: