What will it take to stop Highlands?

sportsfan41

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post and let me add Dale coached in OH and also competed and just could not beat the Bigs in Cinti until he came to Highlands.

He worked hard and built the Jr League football program into a 400+ strong feeder system and when he saw that the time was right he started platooning. It didn't begin any one summer day and it didnt happen all at once, it happened gradually over about 4-5 yrs and then in 2009 he knew he had the perfect team to go 100% two platoon..............

Thanks for the information and something that needs to be said. More programs can platoon, they are scared to do it because that puts a lot of pressure on the head coach. If success doesn't come immediately, the answer to the why question is automatically going to be "the studs aren't on the field". I'm sure when Highlands first started platooning people were questioning why the best players weren't on the field and there was some skepticism. But, after a few games and/or years Mueller was proven to be right and his legacy was strengthened.

And, as you said, it has to take place over a period of time, preparing each player to play one position and gradually introducing the non-stud athletes to the offense and defense.

Easier said than done as far as 4A schools platooning. Most folks tend to focus on enrollment as a barometer. That is a big mistake. Roster size is a better barometer of ability to platoon. HHS typically has 85 - 100 kids on the roster. Most 6A programs do not have roster sizes that high. Is there a 4A team that has even 50 kids on a roster? I don't think so.

This why HHS can get away with playing poorly, and still win games against playoff caliber competition comfortably.

Easier said than done as far as 4A schools platooning. Most folks tend to focus on enrollment as a barometer. That is a big mistake. Roster size is a better barometer of ability to platoon. HHS typically has 85 - 100 kids on the roster. Most 6A programs do not have roster sizes that high. Is there a 4A team that has even 50 kids on a roster? I don't think so.

This why HHS can get away with playing poorly, and still win games against playoff caliber competition comfortably.

There are 1A teams that have 50 players. I don't think you have to have 100 players to platoon. You have to have commitment.

I have said it before, think about it, is it better to take your average athletes and try to teach them to play two positions and expect them to play 48 minutes without a mistake on both sides of the ball after only practicing one day per week on each position, or is it better to take your average athletes and teach them one position and expect them to play half the snaps without mistake after practicing every day at their one position?

There are 1A teams that have 50 players. I don't think you have to have 100 players to platoon. You have to have commitment.

I have said it before, think about it, is it better to take your average athletes and try to teach them to play two positions and expect them to play 48 minutes without a mistake on both sides of the ball after only practicing one day per week on each position, or is it better to take your average athletes and teach them one position and expect them to play half the snaps without mistake after practicing every day at their one position?

Agreed. Also gives an O or D coordinator a chance to discuss adjustments, mistakes etc. during the course of the game. Mistakes are easily shoved to the back of the mind when A kid has to switch to that different mind set. Having the option to set down with your group you coach and make key adjustments really helps.

Funny!

Does Highlands still use 8 receivers subbing in and out every play?

They're not just receivers. They also sub lineman, tight ends, backs... and every position on defense, too. Every man who can play rotates in and out for significant minutes, both series-of-downs and situationally. The advantages are phenomenal. Players can be coached during the game (right after a play, when his mistake is "fresh"); Starter vs. backup loses its meaning... If you can play, you will play, and you won't have to spend a quarter with that deer-in-the-headlights look while you knock the rust off. It also keeps every player in the game mentally, ready to go in. This may be the biggest element in the "magic formula" the great programs have (and the "good" programs haven't quite figured out).

They're not just receivers. They also sub lineman, tight ends, backs... and every position on defense, too. Every man who can play rotates in and out for significant minutes, both series-of-downs and situationally. The advantages are phenomenal. Players can be coached during the game (right after a play, when his mistake is "fresh"); Starter vs. backup loses its meaning... If you can play, you will play, and you won't have to spend a quarter with that deer-in-the-headlights look while you knock the rust off. It also keeps every player in the game mentally, ready to go in. This may be the biggest element in the "magic formula" the great programs have (and the "good" programs haven't quite figured out).

Oh, and I left out the biggest advantage of all this... When the fourth quarter rolls around, your entire team has fresher legs than your opponent, which is the main reason the great programs tend to "draw off down the stretch" (to use racing terminology)!

Agreed. Also gives an O or D coordinator a chance to discuss adjustments, mistakes etc. during the course of the game. Mistakes are easily shoved to the back of the mind when A kid has to switch to that different mind set. Having the option to set down with your group you coach and make key adjustments really helps.

IMHO, it is even more than platooning (one-way players). It is rotating those platoon players in and out of the game, as well. Results in even fresher legs, develops the depth every team so desperately seeks, and exposes as many players as possible to game-speed action.

The key to beating Highlands is very simple. Run up the middle and stay away from going sideline to sideline. Look back on their losses. What is the common theme? Running the ball up the middle and staying ahead of the chains. Too many coaches want to run sideline to sideline and they are way too fast for this to be effective. With that being said, you need to be able to move the chains. Keeping the offense off the field is the only way to beat them, bottomline. Too many coaches think you need this elborate game plan to beat them and you don't. Less is more in this situation.

Well, there was the "Mud Bowl".

Now we have the "Snow Bowl".

1st ingredient is a significant weather event.

2nd ingredient. A good team playing their game.

3rd the cook (Coach). Keeping the pressure in the cooker from getting to great and the lid blowing off.

Really only need #2 and 3, but I like #1 for nostalgia.

I know CCH is a good team and Wirth is a good coach. Play your game and see what happens.

Well, there was the "Mud Bowl".

Now we have the "Snow Bowl".

1st ingredient is a significant weather event.

2nd ingredient. A good team playing their game.

3rd the cook (Coach). Keeping the pressure in the cooker from getting to great and the lid blowing off.

Really only need #2 and 3, but I like #1 for nostalgia.

I know CCH is a good team and Wirth is a good coach. Play your game and see what happens.

Snow! What snow? Heard that maybe some driers are being brought in. Pictures show Dale Mueller and TBirds out there yesterday doing their part. I'm guessing playing surface will not be a factor. Unless you are trying to get some pics from the sidelines. That could be troublesome!