Mason County Hosting the Region???

Why does Mason always host the region tourney? Why do other schools not want to host it and take away the homecourt advantage that MC obviously has every year??

It would not fly in NKY should a school like Holmes or CCH host the region EVERY year. People would be screaming.

Do no other 10th teams have a problem with this?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite what MHighfield and others have said in the past, anyone outside of Maysville would tell you that playing at the Fieldhouse is a definite advantage.

So why do the AD's and coaches from the other schools vote to have it played there every year?

Despite what MHighfield and others have said in the past, anyone outside of Maysville would tell you that playing at the Fieldhouse is a definite advantage.

I would question anyone's ability to be partial and intelligent who said that any team playing a region tourney on the court they practice on every day is not at an advantage.

No doubt that the Fieldhouse provides an advantage.

No doubt that the Fieldhouse should be the host.

It is the ONLY facility in the region that can adequately host the game. No other facility is near the size or the quality of the building. Location is also nice with the addition of more NKY schools. It is fairly central and the roads to and from are in good condition. Can't say that going to Winchester or Mt. Sterling.

Each boys team in the tournament is GUARANTEED a $5,000 payout. That is a huge, huge number in a HS budget. For some of the smaller schools they can make huge improvements in their programs. I was told that when Deming went 10-15 years ago, they purchased a brand new sound sytem for their gym with the proceeds they have received. An addition to their program, they would not have had without this payout.

So why do the AD's and coaches from the other schools vote to have it played there every year?

That's what I'd like to know. Why is this allowed to happen every year. Is it the voting of several of the small schools that have no chance to make it to Rupp?

I've never understood why Mason hosts the regional tournament every year. It appears to be a definate advantage for the Royals.

Why could Pendleton County not host it?

WAY TOO SMALL.

The district voted 3 to 1 that Pendleton County was not large enough to host the 38th District tournament.

I believe the Fieldhouse seats something like 5,000. And it has been pushed to the max or doors closed several times.

That's what I'd like to know. Why is this allowed to happen every year. Is it the voting of several of the small schools that have no chance to make it to Rupp?

I've never understood why Mason hosts the regional tournament every year. It appears to be a definate advantage for the Royals.

I hate repeating myself (reminds me too much of dealing with my kids); thank goodness for copy and paste. Here is my take on the situation as I posted about one week ago on yet another "let's bash Mason County for always hosting the 10th Region tournament" thread:

Here are the distances from the Region 10 high schools to Mason County and to Montgomery County, per Yahoo. I'll start with the 2006 10th Region qualifiers.

Covington Scott: 55 to Mason, 110 to Montgomery

Clark County: 61 to Mason, 17 to Montgomery

Pendleton County: 37 to Mason, 61 to Montgomery

Augusta: 18 to Mason, 66 to Montgomery

Bishop Brossart: 45 to Mason, 82 to Montgomery

Montgomery County: 50 to Mason, 0 to Montgomery

Mason County: 0 to Mason, 50 to Montgomery

Deming: 20 to Mason, 46 to Montgomery

Distance for the 7 teams other than Mason to travel to Mason: 286 miles

Distance for the 7 teams other than Montgomery to travel to Montgomery: 432 miles.

Other schools:

Calvary Christian: 57 to Mason, 112 to Montgomery

Campbell County: 46 to Mason, 82 to Montgomery

Bracken County: 16 to Mason, 67 to Montgomery

Harrison County: 43 to Mason, 39 to Montgomery

Nicholas County: 31 to Mason, 25 to Montgomery

Paris: 43 to Mason, 25 to Montgomery

St. Patrick: 3 to Mason, 50 to Montgomery

Bourbon County: 45 to Mason, 26 to Montgomery

Distance for these 8 teams to travel to Mason: 284 miles

Distance for these 8 teams to travel to Montgomery: 426 miles

It is clear that the addition of the Covington teams to the 10th Region has created a situation making Montgomery County even more of a geographical outlier than they were before.

As a long-time Mason County HS fan, I love the tournament here at the Fieldhouse. The athletic department runs a class operation, second to none. The 10th Region tourney is one of the great traditions in KY, if not national high school sports. I was friends (he passed away last month) with the gentleman whose construction company built the Fieldhouse.

When the tournament was held elsewhere for a brief time several decades ago, it was an absolute disaster. It has taken over 30 years for really serious discussion regarding moving the tourney site to get any traction; that's how badly it went.

With all that being said, if the regional powers-that-be really think that Montgomery County will have the facilities and everything else that goes along with putting on the 10th tourney (parking, hospitality, ticket management, concessions, nearby accomodations, etc. etc. etc.) in 2008; I say let them have their chance. If it turns out to be a gigantic flop like it was in the '70s; maybe it will be another 30+ years before the bad memories are erased.

If it runs smoothly, and thousands of fans aren't turned away, and the smaller schools in the region are satisfied with their share of the gate; then Montgomery County should be allowed into a permanent rotation. While it won't be the same; I'll still attend the tournament if Mason County is playing (although I'll attend whether or not the Royals are playing as long as the Fieldhouse hosts).

There's something to be said for tradition - especially when the majority consistently elects to keep the tradition.

Long story short - let Montgomery County host the tournament; if it works out, great; if not; well, we all know where it will be next time around.

Didn't Montgomery Co. just get a new gym because of this?

I have heard they want to push to host it but I am not sure that the rest of the region would want that. Presently, Maysville is about a 30-45 minute drive for everyone. Mt. Sterling would be over an hour for close to half of the region teams.

Because just like everything else today it all comes down to money,and the fieldhouse provides the most seating at 5.00 a head. Pendelton county could not handle a good freshman tournament crowd,lets get real Maysville is the only location for the tournment.Also Henry county always used to hold their region tournment until the re-alinement.

Maybe you guys should think critically before you make off the cuff comments.

Where else could the tournament be played in the tenth region?

Nowhere without closing the doors to SEVERAL hundred or even thousands of fans.

And don't be too hard on them. NKY people think we are hicks anyhow.:D

Just kidding with you cshs