Mason County Hosting the Region???

^ No that was long before hte merger. Mason did not merge with mason until the early 90's. After Mason went to thte Finals in 81' they had dry spell until The Deron Feldhause Era. They still only went to the State tournament in 86 or 87. After that it would be after the merger that they went back to the Sweet 16 for three years in row starting in 91 through 93. they lost a dog fight to Montgomery that fourth year. =Mason would not back to the Sweet 16 until Loftons sophomore year in 2001.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that GRC did lose playing in Mason's gym proves the point. They have an adavantage and you will never convince me that they don't have an advantage.

Clark beat Pendleton at the Fieldhouse and Pendleton had already beat them twice. Once at Clark County and once on a neutral court. It was closer for PC and they brought a lot of fans. They have also played more than 10 games at Mason in the last two years. It's almost a home away from home for Pendleton, yet Clark beat them. They lost by three to Mason. Three points!!! That's one shot, or one steal away from victory. That's pretty close especially since everyone had Mason ranked ahead of Clark all year. Just about everyone anyway.

I think most would tell you also since 81 MC has had the most talent also.:rolleyes:

I agree with the talent. But, I would still like to see the breakdown if anyone can get it. IMO, if MC usually produces the most talent, then why give them home advantage also?

I've been the Fieldhouse and thoroughly agree it's the best place for the 10th region tournament, by far. Yet, I feel that there is valid arguement for an unfair advantage. Travel, location, etc. has been addressed and discussed. But what about the teams and players? Nothing ever has been mentioned about the teams and players advantages or disadvantages. You can talk about parking all you want, but I'm for the kids chances to win, not gym size. I guess even in High School Basketball, it's all about the money, which is a shame. :D

You want to put the deed to your house on that bet? I could use some rental property.

LBBC; it seems like an awful lot of folks automatically assume that anyone that comes out in support of Mason County continuing to host the 10th MUST live in Mason County, work in Mason County, etc.

If only support for playing the tournament at the Fieldhouse came from Mason County, it wouldn't be there every year. There has been an OVERWHELMING majority of the folks making the decisions to play at the Fieldhouse, and for good reason. It has historically been the ONLY venue capable of accommodating the fans.

LBBC; it seems like an awful lot of folks automatically assume that anyone that comes out in support of Mason County continuing to host the 10th MUST live in Mason County, work in Mason County, etc.

If only support for playing the tournament at the Fieldhouse came from Mason County, it wouldn't be there every year. There has been an OVERWHELMING majority of the folks making the decisions to play at the Fieldhouse, and for good reason. It has historically been the ONLY venue capable of accommodating the fans.

I live in Kenton County, formerly Pendleton County and I love the Fieldhouse.

Mason has won 11 regional titles since 81 and lost int he finals at least 3 other times. That is 14 trips in 26 years to the finals. Pretty good average. No one else can match it. Home court help? How can you say it does not?

Thanks for the info on Mason County, and WOW.... Of course, there is the talent level of MC. I would expect them to be in the finals more than most, but this more than 50% of the time. With this information, then I would agree there is home court advantage here, regardless of talent. :D

Good example of this is the girls tournament. It rotates among the four districts and the districts are to choose sites within that district that can host it.

This year, it is at the Fieldhouse and probably will be every year that district is designated to host it. Montgomery/Clark/Bourbon have all hosted it in the past. Harrison County is the only gym large enough to host it in the 38th. Campbell County Middle School hosts it for their district.

It is much smaller and able to be rotated, SO IT IS.

Everyone on these sites that defend the Fieldhouse talk about seats and parking. When is the last time someone was in Mt. Sterling. There is more parking there than in Mason Co. McNabb is right next door and the new church has a lot of parking. This isn't about all of that though. It is about giving the regional teams a fair shake where ever the location. No one can justify that a regional participant hosting the region each and every year is fair to everyone involved.

Everyone on these sites that defend the Fieldhouse talk about seats and parking. When is the last time someone was in Mt. Sterling. There is more parking there than in Mason Co. McNabb is right next door and the new church has a lot of parking. This isn't about all of that though. It is about giving the regional teams a fair shake where ever the location. No one can justify that a regional participant hosting the region each and every year is fair to everyone involved.

Very True!

:ylsuper: Now you talking about teams. About a "fair shake". That's the way I see it. :D

Fair is the money that all the participating schools get. That is fair to everyone involved.

Fair is the money that all the participating schools get. That is fair to everyone involved.

That's not fair to the kids. The kids all want an equal chance at playing in Rupp. They couldn't care less about the money.