Mason County Hosting the Region???

Maybe you guys should think critically before you make off the cuff comments.

Where else could the tournament be played in the tenth region?

Who was made off the cuff comments? :confused:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GRC holds 4500 folks. That seems to be plenty to me. Are we saying that they can't host it because they're too far?

Would you not go if it was at GRC?

Some people from NKY might not make an hour and half drive ONE WAY to see the game. Plus, I believe next season the table is switched for state tournaments. Girls are first, boys are second.

So championship game is on a Tuesday night, start time 7:30. Following a game they would have played on a Monday night with a possible start time at 8:00 PM. With an hour and half drive back home after the game.

If possible, the tournament should be at a central location.

5-6 years ago, when Estill County played Brossart in the finals of the 10th region in Alexandria, they had to spend the night on Monday night instead of driving the 2 hours back home and then getting up early for school the next day and be exhausted for the championship game. Instead they had to be out of school that day.

I'll assume that was directed at me. Its obvious I've stepped on some toes by asking what seems to be an obvious question.

Didn't step on my toes and for an outsider to the 10th region, I think it is an obvious question.:thumb:

Remember unlike the 9th region, you can't get to many of the 10th region schools in 30 minutes like you can get to all of the 9th region schools. Cost of transportation is high. We have to pay close to $1 per mile. One bus for bball team, one for cheerleaders, 2 or 3 for band, 1 or 2 for pep bus. Plus, $10 per hour for the bus drivers. You are easily getting close to a $1,000 for one game at Winchester or Mt. Sterling.

I dont have a problem with the games being at the Fieldhouse, but I'd like it if the region moved around every once in a while.....

I live on the Bourbon-Nicholas Co. line, and it takes me about an hour to make it to Maysville. It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to Mt. Sterling, and 30-35 minutes to get to Winchester. It's a solid hour and a half drive from Winchester to Maysville......

Imagine what the people from Irvine had to go through when they played Pendleton in the region last year, that's a good two hour drive.....

Like I have said in previous threads, In a perfect world, there would be a 7,000 seat arena at Blue Licks with free hot dogs and cokes, but it's just not going to happen....

In all honesty, there will be complaints no matter where you decide to play the tournament.....

Whether the games are played in Maysville, Winchester, Mt. Sterling, Covington, etc. I'll make sure to atleast make it to one day of the regional tournament......

I can't imagine that coaches are thrilled with this arrangement.

How far is it from GRC to Mason County? Is GRC the farthest from Mason?

I would say some are not and some are fine with it.

With the present alignment I would say, yes. Scott or Calvary Christian would probably be the next farthest. Or maybe Mt. Sterling.

Mason is MUCH, MUCH closer for most of the region, than Winchester.

Comparing it to the SEC, it would be the same as hosting the SEC tournament at Nashville compared to Baton Rouge.

61 miles from Clark County to Mason County; please see post #10 above for a cogent, insightful analysis.

If I'm GRC, I want my turn at having home court.

Mason County folks have proven they will travel. Pendleton will travel. Brossart will travel.

Hats off to Mason for being excellent hosts. Its a tremendous amount of work and coordination. Great atmosphere. Great gym. Convenient.

However, if a school like GRC doesn't demand their turn and give their boys a better shot at getting to Rupp, they are doing a disservice to the boys.

Mason County folks have proven they will travel. Pendleton will travel. Brossart will travel.

Hats off to Mason for being excellent hosts. Its a tremendous amount of work and coordination. Great atmosphere. Great gym. Convenient.

However, if a school like GRC doesn't demand their turn and give their boys a better shot at getting to Rupp, they are doing a disservice to the boys.

I think it should be decided on what the majority of the region wants and not what one school wants.

Remember unlike the 9th region, you can't get to many of the 10th region schools in 30 minutes like you can get to all of the 9th region schools. Cost of transportation is high. We have to pay close to $1 per mile. One bus for bball team, one for cheerleaders, 2 or 3 for band, 1 or 2 for pep bus. Plus, $10 per hour for the bus drivers. You are easily getting close to a $1,000 for one game at Winchester or Mt. Sterling.

If transportation costs that much, and I have no reason to doubt that it doesn't, isn't that even more of a reason to rotate the tournament around to all corners of the region? Why should other schools have to pay up to $1,000 in transportation costs while Mason Co. pays zip?

If transportation costs that much, and I have no reason to doubt that it doesn't, isn't that even more of a reason to rotate the tournament around to all corners of the region? Why should other schools have to pay up to $1,000 in transportation costs while Mason Co. pays zip?

Not when the central location in the region is Maysville.

So why do the AD's and coaches from the other schools vote to have it played there every year?

Do they actually vote on this every year??

I know I just went down to Henry County to watch SK play and found out that it is written in blood or something like that, that Henry has been hosting that tournament since 1962.

I guess the reason they do it is because of money. I know if I were Paris and I had a once in 15 year team and I lost to Mason at the Fieldhouse. I would have to reconsider my vote!!

I for one have always traveled to watch the better games. I think a lot of this hosting is a matter of convenience. I have always preferred the smaller venues where you had better get there early or not bother coming at all!!:thumb:

Its not a matter of who will travel or what distance they have to travel, Mason County always has and always will have a following...just ask the KHSAA at the Sweet 16:thumb: GRC had their turn with hosting in 1969, and was unsuccessful as they didn't have near enough seating. Bottom line, the fieldhouse accomodates, others(coaches, school officials, etc.) in the region over the years know this and therefore vote for the tournament to be at the fieldhouse.

I hope that people who are lobbying to move the tournament out of Mason County are making "off the cuff" statements. Because if you think about it, and take all things into consideration (as those who make these decisions have) you will see there is no other option right now.