Mt. Rushmore of American Rock Bands

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ramones meet every criteria that you specified. They're easily one of the best bands in US history.

Very few people popped in a Ramones cd today to jam to it, and doubt they got morr than a spattering of radio play. I'd bet multiple millions heard something from my mentioned bands from multiple cuts. Ramones fall painfully short and do not meet all my criteria. I also personally think their place in rock history is greatly over rated...but thats my opinion.

As I've said before, just because they're popular doesn't mean they're good. Exhibit A: Milli Vanilli.

The Ramones, NY Dolls, Velvet Underground are among the most influential bands ever in rock history. Far more bands were influenced by VU than ever were by The Doors. You can't just dismiss those bands out of hand simply because they weren't pop stars.

I'm not that much unlike you in my more underground, not so mainstream leanings when it comes to music, and there's also many mainstream bands over the years that I do very much dig, all the while knowing that there are tons of not so well known bands that are out-of-sight.

I agree that bands like the Velvet Underground and the Dolls were very influential, but I'll have to echo what BigVMan23 is saying in his post.

He gave them their due but was, within the guidelines of the fantasy idea hear of picking "4 Mt. Rushmore bands", making it clear that they didn't have nearly the following and mainstream type impact as much as other bands did.

In the spirit of "Mt. Rushmore" you really sorta have to go for mainstream, and I'm certain I could find numerous people on the streets young and old who've never even heard of the Velvet Underground.

Nothing against them, but you really can't put them up on this fantasy mountain that we're creating here.

I'm not that much unlike you in my more underground, not so mainstream leanings when it comes to music, and there's also many mainstream bands over the years that I do very much dig, all the while knowing that there are tons of not so well known bands that are out-of-sight.

I agree that bands like the Velvet Underground and the Dolls were very influential, but I'll have to echo what BigVMan23 is saying in his post.

He gave them their due but was, within the guidelines of the fantasy idea hear of picking "4 Mt. Rushmore bands", making it clear that they didn't have nearly the following and mainstream type impact as much as other bands did.

In the spirit of "Mt. Rushmore" you really sorta have to go for mainstream, and I'm certain I could find numerous people on the streets young and old who've never even heard of the Velvet Underground.

Nothing against them, but you really can't put them up on this fantasy mountain that we're creating here.

I know. It's why I've been agonizing over my list. I was tempted at rolling out with a list of VU, The Ramones, The Replacements and Parliament/Funkadelic as a playful spite jab at VMan.

Very few people popped in a Ramones cd today to jam to it, and doubt they got morr than a spattering of radio play. I'd bet multiple millions heard something from my mentioned bands from multiple cuts. Ramones fall painfully short and do not meet all my criteria. I also personally think their place in rock history is greatly over rated...but thats my opinion.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, then. I don't think their place in rock history can be questioned at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, then. I don't think their place in rock history can be questioned at all.

They have their place for sure...but I have never been a fan. The reason I think the way I do about them is that, back in the day when they were somewhat making a name for themselves...I think it became "cool" in some circles to like them...after all they were "anti-establishment" and "against the man". Musically speaking I just don't think they cut it when compared to many other acts. I think that "coolness" factor overrode everything else. But, again, that's my opinion.

You'd be hard pressed to find many American bands more influential than the Ramones. They aren't on my "Mt. Rushmore," but it's silly to write-off bands that weren't mainstream or commercial enough. Personally, I think Aerosmith should be disqualified due to their post-90s reinvention as a commercial-pop act.

You'd be hard pressed to find many American bands more influential than the Ramones. They aren't on my "Mt. Rushmore," but it's silly to write-off bands that weren't mainstream or commercial enough. Personally, I think Aerosmith should be disqualified due to their post-90s reinvention as a commercial-pop act.

And a really bad one, at that. Aerosmith owes their soul to Run DMC.

And I'd argue a band like KISS influenced 1,000 times over the number of people The Ramones did...if nothing else because they could with their popularity.

I think I gave the Ramones their due. Heck, I'm the one who brought them up, so even I recognized their influence, regardless if I agree with it or not. But, when it comes to a "Mt. Rushmore" of bands, I think it's VERY easy to mark them off a list like this.