Greatest Comebacks

Pulaski County has had so many it is hard to remember them all. Here are a few from the past:

2013 - Against Damian Harris and Madison Southern in the Region Championship Game, Pulaski trailed by 10 in the 3rd quarter, and rallied to win 32-28 in the muddiest game I have ever seen.

- Also last year - Pulaski trailed Anderson County in the Semi-State Final Round of the Playoffs, 20-10 with 4 minutes to go. On the road. QB Riley Hall hit Christian Coots for a long TD pass to make it 20-17. Anderson County fumbled on their possession, and PC drove 60 yards to win in the final minute on a TD pass from Hall to Jake Johnson. The highlight of the drive was a scramble and run by QB Riley Hall on 4th and 13!

2012 - Also against Madison Southern on the road, Pulaski trailed by 2 TDs with 4 minutes to go. QB Riley Hall threw a TD to Tyler Goins. Then they held Harris and Southern 3 and out. Goins scored on a 38 yard run with less than a minute to win 37-36.

- Also earlier that season, PC trailed 21-0 at North Laurel in the 3rd Quarter, and rallied to win 28-21.

2010 - PC trailed arch-rival Southwestern 14-0 in the third. Rallied to win 21-14.

2009 - Pulaski was behind Whitley County in the second round of the playoffs, by 2 TDs. They scored with 5 minutes to go, on-sides kicked and got it, and tied the game up with about a minute and a half. Then intercepted a Whitley pass on the 10. Went 90 yards in less than a minute and won 40-34.

- Same year. Trailed at Rockcastle 41-27 in the 4th quarter. Scored 3 TDs in 5 minutes to win. The last one with 20 seconds or so to go. Final 47-41.

2008 - Trailed Ricky Bowling and South Laurel by 2 TDs with 4 minutes to go. Drove and scored, on-sides kicked and got it, and scored again with less than a minute to tie. Won in overtime.

- Same year. Trailed Knox Central 21-0 early. Rallied to tie in the 3rd. Knox went ahead 28-21. Pulaski drove 80 yards in a minute and a half to score, went for two and won. 29-28.

2007 - Pulaski was a 21 point underdog to Somerset. Game was tied at 43 with 4 minutes to go. Had a lightning delay. PC scored 3 TDs in the last 4 minutes to win going away.

All the way back to 2003, my favorite - PC trailed Louisville Waggener 61-41 with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter of a second round playoff game at Waggener in the rain. Pulaski scored 41 points in a quarter and a half (yes you read that right) to win 82-68. I think it is still the highest scoring game in KY high school history.

Come to Pulaski and see the Maroons play. You won't be disappointed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garrard @ Carroll County in 1992.

GC was down 36-14 going into 4th quarter. Patrick Sapp led a Carroll County run & shoot that was carving the Garrard defense up.

Garrard got a couple of stops, ran their triple option, and wound up winning 54-43, or something like that. GC's fullback, Keith Leavell ran for 7 touchdowns.

2006 Class A State Title game, Newport Catholic 37 - Danville 34

NewCath down 34-17 with 7:23 in the 4th quarter.

NewCath's Jared Harris 31 YD TD pass to George Gardner. 4:10 4thQ Danville 34-24

NewCath's Jared Harris 16 YD TD pass to George Gardner. 2:58 4thQ Danville 34-31

Following a 4th Danville fumble with 2:10 left in the game, the Breds take the lead for good 25 seconds later.

NewCath's Jared Harris 52 YD TD screen pass to Michael Vicars. 1:45 4thQ NewCath 37-34

I remember several friends leaving this game in the 4th then meeting them at the bar and they didnt believe us NewCath came back and won

Trinity folks what game was it against Bob Redman's Waggoner team in the 80s that I have heard so much about? I know I have heard the story but can't remember the details.

I think I was at the game you mention. Rocks won on a last second field goal. If memory serves me correct, the yardage of the field goal matched the jersey number of a Trinity player who passed away either that year or the year before. I think it was 1983?????

This was a bit before my time, but I believe it was 1975 when St. X beat Trinity 11-10 in the playoffs. Trinity was lined up to punt with seconds left in the game, and if I remember correctly the ball was snapped over head of the Trinity punter and St. X ends up winning the game and eventually the state championship.

As a Cov Cath fan, I am biased, but the greatest comeback I ever saw was the 1997 Mud Bowl in Ft. Thomas. Highlands had completely dominated the first half. before going to their locker room at halftime. CCH went to the North endzone in the pouring rain.

Highlands returned to the field in fresh, clean, dry uniforms to start the 3rd quarter and proceeded to try to score 100 points. In the process, they allowed the Colonels from Covington Catholic to steal victory.

Greatest comeback. That's the greatest I ever saw.

The way this game is perceived is very fascinating to me. It seems to me that every HHS fan who was at the game thought that it was a monumental upset, whereas all the CCH fans felt the Colonels had the better team.

The way this game is perceived is very fascinating to me. It seems to me that every HHS fan who was at the game thought that it was a monumental upset, whereas all the CCH fans felt the Colonels had the better team.

:popcorn: this should be good.

Don't know about that but I've heard people refer to it as CCH's most costly win ever as they believe Dale's focus on the Colonels went to new heights after that.

November 10, 1994: Trinity tallies 13 points in the last 66 seconds to defeat Central 19-12 in the second round of playoffs. I remember well some of the Central faithful taunting the Trinity fans in the end zone of the Kentucky Fair and Exhibition Center stadium. This was just before the Yellowjackets punt team self destructed. Shamrock LB Reggie White returned a blocked punt and a snap over the head of the punter for the two touchdowns.

This is my favorite by far:ylsuper:

What about the Trinity vs Male State Championship game where Michael Bush played for Male and Brian Brohm played for Trinity?

Were there comebacks in that game? Seems like they traded scores left and right but I really don't remember for sure.

Were there comebacks in that game? Seems like they traded scores left and right but I really don't remember for sure.

Trinity led the entire game and looked to have put it away a few times but Male came roaring back each time. They recovered two onside kicks in the 4th quarter but with about a minute left in the 4th quarter Bush threw a pick on the 1 yard line.