Best stadium atmosphere for football

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manual Stadium was built in 1924.

It currently seats around 14,000.

It has changed over the years, currently with steel and concrete flooring with aluminum bleachers (no backs). The press box is huge with 2 large open areas (1 on each end) and 3 rooms in the middle, as well as a lower area that runs the entire press box with 3 rows of wooden bleacher seats (all enclosed).

There are bathrooms and concessions underneath both sides and the baseball field is behind the visitor bleachers, where you can park in the outfield on football games.

At one time the stadium seated over 19,000. It was then horseshoe shaped with the west endzone having more bleachers.

The large stone wall surrounding the stadium was added in the 40's as part of the Works programs.

tomcatforever,

What I meant was the Tomcats don't use them to dress in. They are there for pre-game and halftime, but they don't dress or shower there.

When I played there wasn't even enough benches, we actually had to sit on the floor.

The toilets are not even in working order.

I'll suggest that, for ANYONE that HAS EVER watched or played a game at Putnam, this historic stadium would have to be in their top 3. It is THE best.

GolfRev can answer any questions about the facilility. Most say that he was partly responsible for the new entrance and revitalization efforts during his tenure on the school board. Man, his name is even inscribed forever on the wall there :eek: , too bad he wasn't the "GolfRev" way back then. He might have had them inscribe that name on the wall instead. ;)

Even though I am not from Ashland originally, I do love Putnam Stadium. I was very happy to have a hand in the remodeling of the entrance area with new rest rooms, concession stands, cheerleader rooms, storage rooms, etc. We also had some remodeling done (although no enlargement) in the old press box.

One of the things on our plan when I left the School Board, was a new locker room facility (in a separate building) similar to the one at Russell. There is a small frame house just outside the west end of the stadium. Our plan was to demolish the house and build the locker room/officials room there. After the major renovation to the entrance of the stadium we were waiting till the next fiscal year to have the funds to do it. I don't know what happened to the plan. That was two superintendents ago, and only one of the same board members remain, so I guess they have different plans.

I will give them credit, that the badly needed baseball facility on campus was finally completed in the interim, and it probably should have taken precedence over the football locker rooms, BUT the board SHOULD address this need NOW.

I haven't been in the visitors locker room in a number of years now, but it was in absolutely deplorable condition then. It was an embarassment to the Ashland School System. I saw several teams just load up their busses and travel back home in their dirty uniforms - rather than shower and dress in that old locker room.:o

But back to the original subject of this thread, I have been to no better High School football game venue than good old Putnam Stadium.:thumb:

Two years ago I would have said Johnson Central with an 11-1 record to finish the season, it was amazing to see how many people still came to see their eagles play at home against Tates Creek in rainy 20 degree conditions. I would have to oppose that now, though!!! I have never had the opportunity to experience a state championship game first-hand, but the APPLE BOWL's atmosphere is amazing!!!:scared:

Campbell Field at Denes Stadium in Corbin. That place has an aura about it like no other. The field is always in tip top condition to open the season. The festivities are always great before hand with the fireworks, music, ect. When you walk in on the side of the old concrete bleachers, you see all of the accomplishments and facts of "Pride and Tradition" painted in big red letters.

If you want to witness the perfect football atmosphere you all should attend the Cumberland Falls Pigskin classic in late August. If you want to witness the perfect football atmosphere and rowdy crowd. Come to Corbin during the late playoffs. Im sure my post could be argued my some fans of other schools but to me, there is just somethign special about Campbell Field at Denes Stadium in Corbin, KY.