Scott 4 Harrison County 3 (10th Region Tournament)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HC had runners on second and third with one out. The batter hits a soft liner near second base that the shortstop Reid Spata catches. He jogs the ball to the mound to give the pitcher the ball, but instead keeps it in his glove. Spata then jogs out toward second and distracted the runner by letting him know there were two outs. The runner looking at Spata doesn't realize that the pitcher isn't on the rubber and takes his lead, and gets tagged out. It's the third time they've pulled it off this year, and the players make the call to put on. It doesn't come from the bench.

Were the umpires on top of it? The best hidden ball trick tricks everyone.. Announcers, coaches, runners and umpires.

When it works, it works... And against a coach who has made an art of little tricks like this.

Were the umpires on top of it? The best hidden ball trick tricks everyone.. Announcers, coaches, runners and umpires.

When it works, it works... And against a coach who has made an art of little tricks like this.

I include the Umpires in the 90% of people that had no idea what was going on. I'm not even sure that Scott's bench knew either, as the players are given the freedom to make that call if they see an opportunity to use it...this play wasn't called by the coaching staff.

The next inning, HC tried their trick, the pitcher faking a pickoff throw to second, and the fielders acting like the ball was throw away into the outfield, trying to get the runner on second to run toward third. Scott has seen HC do this before (and have gotten caught by the move) in the past, and was ready for it.

HC had runners on second and third with one out. The batter hits a soft liner near second base that the shortstop Reid Spata catches. He jogs the ball to the mound to give the pitcher the ball, but instead keeps it in his glove. Spata then jogs out toward second and distracted the runner by letting him know there were two outs. The runner looking at Spata doesn't realize that the pitcher isn't on the rubber and takes his lead, and gets tagged out. It's the third time they've pulled it off this year, and the players make the call to put on. It doesn't come from the bench.

I could care less who won this game, but for a high school team to do something you do in coach pitch or at the little league level is bush league. The player or players from Scott that made that call hit the dirt on their next at bats if I'm coaching

I could care less who won this game, but for a high school team to do something you do in coach pitch or at the little league level is bush league. The player or players from Scott that made that call hit the dirt on their next at bats if I'm coaching

Do you feel the same way about HC acting like the ball is thrown into CF so the runner may get off the base as well? No dog in this fight either, but I think I've read on here that the HC coach has done many "tricks" in the past.

Sorry, its called baseball. HC, BW (at one time) and several other teams have made a career out of trick plays like this or others. I don't' fault the players for trying.

It's like the 3rd to 1st pickoff attempt that 99% of the time never works, but that 1% when it does work, can shift a games entire momentum.

Best of luck to both teams in the finals..

That bothers you? I think it's great.

I think intentionally making someone "hit the dirt" would display much less class.

I could care less who won this game' date=' but for a high school team to do something you do in coach pitch or at the little league level is bush league. The player or players from Scott that made that call hit the dirt on their next at bats if I'm coaching[/quote']

That seems like an overreaction, AT.

I think Major Leagues pull off "trick" plays.

What does getting caught by a "bush league" move say about the team that gets caught by it? This move only works if a base runner makes the mistake that they are preached to about from the time they step on the field....know where the ball is and don't take your lead until the pitcher toes the rubber. Basically, you are telling us, that if your player makes one of the biggest mental mistakes you can make on a baseball field and the other teams takes advantage of it, your response is to throw at the team for taking advantage of your mistake?? Sorry, but that's, a petty, bush league response. A kid catching another kid in a mistake is not a reason to throw at him.

What do you think of HC faking the bad pickoff throw to second, with players diving all over the field and pointing, trying to trick the runner into leaving the base?? Should those guys get thrown at too?!

Do you feel the same way about HC acting like the ball is thrown into CF so the runner may get off the base as well? No dog in this fight either, but I think I've read on here that the HC coach has done many "tricks" in the past.

And they did that the very next inning.

So you deem intentionally hitting a high school player the proper vindication for a trick play? Interesting. What's next? Charging the mound when someone lays down a suicide squeeze? These are kids, not professionals, nor are they even college athletes. The thought of intentionally harming their well being, or potentially ending their career, season, etc., is a flat out joke.