Lakers to reach out to Coach Cal

CamoHokie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I'd blame Cal for leaving UK for the Lakers. They are not only one of the premiere franchises in the NBA, but in all pro sports. This isn't like he's being offered by the Hawks or Bucks.

They'll definitely be able to pay more, and are in a huge market. Even if he leaves the NCAA to coach the Lakers and falls flat on his face and has to go back to the college game, there'll be a big time school that will hire him.

He'll also be in a position to leverage his contacts (WWW, Jay-Z & Roc, his former players) to build a roster that he likes. He also won't have to worry about the NCAA.

If he says no to the Lakers, then he's either serious about staying at Kentucky until retirement or he doesn't like the situation he'd be going into there.

Jobs like this don't come open very often, and without being in his head, I don't really know what it is about UK that appeals to him more than the Lakers.

Maybe it's just wanting to win with next year's team, seeing his son finish high school in Lexington, or not wanting to be in an even larger fish bowl. I don't know. We do know that they can pay him handsomely and allow him to scratch the itch of coaching professionally.

It wouldn't be a risk-free move, but you'd have to think that he at least entertains it (if he hasn't already).

KO is tight with most of the league. The Durant angle gets real interesting if the Thunder don't make the finals, though...

I'm guessing the Oklahoma beat writer who criticized him earlier today might have to change addresses if Durant left.

From LA?

Apologize for the confusion. I meant that he was a local writer (aka not big time). So a local writer in LA to get national attention.

All the writer has to say is "I have sources that tell me Calipari is going to interview with the Lakers". Doesn't have to be true and boom, National attention because we as Kentucky fans are crazy.