UConn starving their players?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg! Cry me a river all you college scholarship athletes.

With the value the bring to their respective universities, I don't think allowing kids to take food back is an unreasonable request.

Yeah but those are some nice tats ALL over his arms. Who paid for those? Did he choose ink over food? :no:

Well, evidently they chose doing something else over going to class for a couple of years (thus them being suspended from NCAA tournament last year). So ink over food is a definite possibility.

I have been a parent of a NCAA D1 athlete and I can say from experience that they are not provided enough food.

If we were not able to stock the fridge or take them for food after games or visits, he/she would not have had enough to eat.

6 am practices are before the cafeteria opens and many night practices that got over after the cafeteria closed. Meal money IF

it was provided, was $ 5 if that, and guess where they would go- McDonalds dollar menu. Real healthy choice right! Yes scholarship did

pay for food, but many times they were not able to eat due to their schedules. If the game bus was leaving at 3 there was no meal

before the game, etc. We were fortunate to be able to buy the extra food and in many instances, we would buy for the ones who could

not afford it. Cash was given for the holidays but the amount given came out the $3 per meal.

I gotta tell you...I went to college, just as some on this site have/did/are. Division 1 school. Though an injury kept me from pursuing possibly basketball opportunities, I knew and was friends with many athletes while there. I don't ever in my whole time there remember any athlete not getting enough to eat as any type of systemic issue. Might one not get enough one night cause maybe he wasn't all that hungry at supper time and is hungry two hours later, or maybe wake up 3am in the morning craving a burrito but cant go down to the chow hall to get one? Sure, that can happen. But a systemic issue? I'm just not buying that.

I have been a parent of a NCAA D1 athlete and I can say from experience that they are not provided enough food.

If we were not able to stock the fridge or take them for food after games or visits, he/she would not have had enough to eat.

6 am practices are before the cafeteria opens and many night practices that got over after the cafeteria closed. Meal money IF

it was provided, was $ 5 if that, and guess where they would go- McDonalds dollar menu. Real healthy choice right! Yes scholarship did

pay for food, but many times they were not able to eat due to their schedules. If the game bus was leaving at 3 there was no meal

before the game, etc. We were fortunate to be able to buy the extra food and in many instances, we would buy for the ones who could

not afford it. Cash was given for the holidays but the amount given came out the $3 per meal.

That's a very different story than what I heard from Division II basketball players at my alma mater. I can't remember the exact amount they would receive for meals while traveling but it was not only more than enough, they would eat something like Subway for dinner for $5 and pocket the rest.

If I remember right, I want to say they got $20-25 for dinner, $15 for lunch, and $7 for breakfast.

That's a very different story than what I heard from Division II basketball players at my alma mater. I can't remember the exact amount they would receive for meals while traveling but it was not only more than enough, they would eat something like Subway for dinner for $5 and pocket the rest.

If I remember right, I want to say they got $20-25 for dinner, $15 for lunch, and $7 for breakfast.

I played college (mid major D1) 25+ years ago and our stipend way back then was $7 for dinner and $5 for breakfast and lunch. Always had boxed meals on the van (no busses or planes for us) to eat and then more food (fruit, peanut butter crackers,etc) for pregame once we arrived.

We typically ate at a buffet type all you can eat place. I remember very vividly one particular stretch when we were 1-13 and our coach was tired of our sorry attitudes and asked us all to say something positive about our experience. My answer, "We eat well..."

Parents/players should ask these type questions on their recruiting visits. I just can't imagine these athletes today don't have enough to eat.

You'll have an extremely tough time convincing me that D1 athletes are ever starved for food. I've been in the Alumni Center at UofL and seen the spread that the football team has for lunch. I'm talking a buffet with prime rib, FULL CHICKENS, and the best sides you could eat. Just the other night I was at BJ's in Louisville, and a good sized group of them were eating, my buddy was serving them. He told me that one particular player had FOUR entrees...

They might not get exactly what they want ALL the time, but they are not starving for food. Those guys eat better than we do.

My Stipend for D1 baseball in the late 80's/early 90's was $17/day. Which meant usually, Mcdonalds or a cheap buffet if we could find one. While not on the road, food was great, with lots of choices that the University offered, but we got nothing the general student population couldn't get. I can definitely see how a kid could go hungry on the road if he doesn't have a few extra bucks in his pocket.

You'll have an extremely tough time convincing me that D1 athletes are ever starved for food. I've been in the Alumni Center at UofL and seen the spread that the football team has for lunch. I'm talking a buffet with prime rib, FULL CHICKENS, and the best sides you could eat. Just the other night I was at BJ's in Louisville, and a good sized group of them were eating, my buddy was serving them. He told me that one particular player had FOUR entrees...

They might not get exactly what they want ALL the time, but they are not starving for food. Those guys eat better than we do.

I can assure you that it all depends on the program/budget within the institution and I did not exaggerate what we experienced. One year, after the season was over, the coach had the players send out letters asking for money because they had "over-spent" . You can go on the visits and ask all the questions you like, but when you are there visiting, you are wined and dined and the coaching staff has a" game plan" to make your visit spot on!