College basketball vs. NBA

Let's leave the defense argument behind because I will never agree that they at harder defense in the Nba

How about the other issues I listed?

Yet to hear any defense to those. The traveling the inconsistent foul calls and the ridiculous continuation calls.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's leave the defense argument behind because I will never agree that they at harder defense in the Nba

Yet to hear any defense to those. The traveling the inconsistent foul calls and the ridiculous continuation calls.

The rules are different in the NBA. Continuation is accurate by the NBA rules.

My thoughts as to why the NBA is better:

1. Concerning defense, it’s easy to look like you’re playing hard when you have 30 games a year instead of 100-plus, and it’s easier to play defense when you can pack the middle of the court because the 3-point line is short. Plus you've got fewer truly good shooters in college. Also, in the NBA, you basically get one chance to get yourself a good shot on each possession. In college, you’ll see teams dink around passing the ball around the perimeter for 15 seconds, reset, throw it to the post, and reset again…and then heave a long jumper because most college players aren’t good enough to create their own shot against a defense that’s crammed into the middle of the court by the short 3-point line. Low scoring games in college aren't a function of good defense. It's a result of poorer shooters and that is just easier to play defense.

2. If you believe NBA players aren't trying all the time, go to an NBA game, and sit near the floor. Those cats are getting after it, and they are grown men getting after it. Long, athletic, and big. Look at today's NBA players when they were in college, and see how their bodies have changed.

3. The NBA is about the players. The college game is about the guys on the bench wearing the suits. When you think NBA, you think about all players...Jordon, Lebron, Magic, Bird. College you think Coach Cal, Coach K, Knight, Wooden, etc. College basketball forces players into a system, which restricts their ability to create. Jordan wasn't that fun to watch at Carolina.

4. When determining the championship, The best team always wins a 7 game series: The best team will win the NBA title. The best team doesn’t always win the NCAA tournament. Just ask Georgetown in 1985.

5. For those who say“Oh, they don’t call traveling in the NBA, that was a travel!” Guess what, these are the same players in the pros came through college basketball, and did the same exact moves to get to the basket.

6. Sorry, but College basketball games are filled with poor decision making and all-around awful execution. College basketball games are often decided by poor free throw shooting, bad shot decisions, stupid fouls etc, rather than brilliant playmaking.

7. The possession arrow. Hate it. Puts too much luck into the equation. Jump it, all the time.

The one thing I hate about the NBA is teams tanking it to get better draft picks. The bottom 3 or 4 NBA teams are dreadful to watch. But then again, the bottom 50 college teams are dreadful to watch too.

The bottom 275 teams in college are dreadful to watch. I think someone said there are 351 teams in D-1.

The NCAA officiating is dreadful. Watch any game on the road and try to tell me it's a well officiated game. Not that they are much better at neutral sites.

Yeah they never mess up travel calls in the NCAA games.

My thoughts as to why the NBA is better:

1. Concerning defense, it’s easy to look like you’re playing hard when you have 30 games a year instead of 100-plus, and it’s easier to play defense when you can pack the middle of the court because the 3-point line is short. Plus you've got fewer truly good shooters in college. Also, in the NBA, you basically get one chance to get yourself a good shot on each possession. In college, you’ll see teams dink around passing the ball around the perimeter for 15 seconds, reset, throw it to the post, and reset again…and then heave a long jumper because most college players aren’t good enough to create their own shot against a defense that’s crammed into the middle of the court by the short 3-point line. Low scoring games in college aren't a function of good defense. It's a result of poorer shooters and that is just easier to play defense.

2. If you believe NBA players aren't trying all the time, go to an NBA game, and sit near the floor. Those cats are getting after it, and they are grown men getting after it. Long, athletic, and big. Look at today's NBA players when they were in college, and see how their bodies have changed.

3. The NBA is about the players. The college game is about the guys on the bench wearing the suits. When you think NBA, you think about all players...Jordon, Lebron, Magic, Bird. College you think Coach Cal, Coach K, Knight, Wooden, etc. College basketball forces players into a system, which restricts their ability to create. Jordan wasn't that fun to watch at Carolina.

4. When determining the championship, The best team always wins a 7 game series: The best team will win the NBA title. The best team doesn’t always win the NCAA tournament. Just ask Georgetown in 1985.

5. For those who say“Oh, they don’t call traveling in the NBA, that was a travel!” Guess what, these are the same players in the pros came through college basketball, and did the same exact moves to get to the basket.

6. Sorry, but College basketball games are filled with poor decision making and all-around awful execution. College basketball games are often decided by poor free throw shooting, bad shot decisions, stupid fouls etc, rather than brilliant playmaking.

7. The possession arrow. Hate it. Puts too much luck into the equation. Jump it, all the time.

The one thing I hate about the NBA is teams tanking it to get better draft picks. The bottom 3 or 4 NBA teams are dreadful to watch. But then again, the bottom 50 college teams are dreadful to watch too.

I may agree with some of that but #5 I will not.

I may agree with some of that but #5 I will not.

There have been numerous times this year watching Kentucky where the Harrisons or Young have made a move that is without question a travel by college rules. They call traveling more at the college levels because guys switch pivot feet like it's going out of style.

So you're saying this doesn't happen in college? Traveling has got to be one of the most misunderstood rules in all of sports. People complain about it all levels, from elementary school to the NBA. And I'd say 90% of the time, the refs get it right. The continuation rule is what is, but I don't see it as a huge problem one way or the other.

As far as your argument that college defenses are tougher since guys can go to the NBA and average more points per game, it's been answered. More minutes (8 extra minutes per game), and a shorter shot clock results in more possessions, which means these guys are getting an extra 3 or 4 shots per game (at least) in the NBA. That's an extra 2-4 points per game for an elite shooter, which explains the increase in scoring average. Also, in the NBA, the elite scorers have more space to operate (the longer 3 point line stretches defenses) and are allowed to create their own shots. College players are forced to play in a system (again, see the Michael Jordan example).

And again, go to an NBA game, sit near the floor, and I can guarantee you'll see how hard these guys work and play defense. This reminds me of one of Kareem's lines in Airplane when the kid tells him his father doesn't think he works hard enough on defense.

" The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

You have complained about officials in each of the last few UK game threads... How is the NBA different from the NCAA in that regard?

I still can't figure out why you can't grasp the fact that NBA games feature twice as many possessions as college games. If they weren't playing defense, regular season scoring would be the same as it is in the All-Star game.

The top scoring team in the league is the Clippers at 107.1 pg. Betting lines for NBA games reflect this with most total points (both teams) lines at around 200-210, with the occasional one climbing to 220 if there are two high-scoring teams involved (last night's Lakers-Portland game, for example).

All-Star games, on the other hand, where very little defense is played, tend to see total points in the 280-300 neighborhood. This year's game saw the teams combine for 318.

If they weren't playing defense, all games would resemble the All-Star game.

For the people that say the NBA plays no defense and scores reflect that:

A. It's the NBA. Players really are that good

B. Higher number of possessions because of game time and shot clock

C. Per 100 possessions the scoring is comparable in a lot of ways. Scoring is a little down in college. Some would say that's defense. I'd say it's the talent level

D. You've never watched playoff basketball.

Love college but the NBA is a far better product IMO.

Traveling? Like an extra step? Who cares? It's makes the game more interesting. Scoring got so low in the NBA they had to give the offense something. Yes, defense was that good.

Continuation is a rule. Personally I like it if it is officiated properly.

One underrated aspect of NBA defense is the complexity. Against guys like James and Durant it's really a hybrid man/zone. You don't get that in college. That's why so many young bigs struggle defensively. Even as great as Davis' individual defensive numbers are he still has lapses from the team defensive standpoint. And he's one of the best players in the league.

It's like comparing college and the NFL. If you're looking for the best quality, specifically defensively, college teams are always going to leave you dissatisfied. I like college football better personally but the NFL is a better product IMO.

For the people that say the NBA plays no defense and scores reflect that:

A. It's the NBA. Players really are that good

B. Higher number of possessions because of game time and shot clock

C. Per 100 possessions the scoring is comparable in a lot of ways. Scoring is a little down in college. Some would say that's defense. I'd say it's the talent level

D. You've never watched playoff basketball.

Love college but the NBA is a far better product IMO.

A. You need to work on your numbering

2. I agree with item D above.

D. :lol2: