College basketball vs. NBA

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You made great points, and I can agree to a certain extent. I dont watch alot of NBA regular season games, but when I do i see alot of guys defending when they want to.

Bingo!

That is exactly the point I meant to make but didn't. I never said they can't defend etc. my point is that they only seem to do it when they want to. Too many trips up and down the court have too many varying times they actually try it seems.

Maybe the main reason I like College better is they seem to be putting forth 100% effort all the time, NBA not so much.

And as far as UK's point about NBA players compared to college and how some college guys who put up 30 pts a game in college can't do that in NBA I will also like to add that players in NBA who are putting up 30 pts a game didn't for the most part when they were playing college.

I will give you an example.

Here are the top 4 NBA players this year (who also played in college) and their average points per game this year compared to their college avg ppg.

Kevin Durant college ppg 25 NBA ppg 32 Career NBA 28 ppg

Carmello Anthony College ppg 22 NBA ppg 28 Career NBA 25

Kevin Love College ppg 17 NBA ppg 26 Career NBA 19 ppg

JAmes Hardin College ppg 19 NBA ppg 25 Career NBA 18 ppg

So even looking at career ppg avg all but 1 of them are still scoring more than they did in College, so UK's argument can also be turned around and ask why NBA players are averagine scoring more than they did in College if the defense in the NBA is that much toughePlus the fact, that I think we can all agree on, that the NBA has better players on every team more so than players would see on their opponents team in college which means the NBA should have better defenders yet they are giving up more points against better defenders.

*Drops Mic and walks off stage*

^Again, more time equals more possessions, more possessions equals more shots, more shots equals more makes, more makes equals more points. Not a hard concept.

If you're not inclined to give that merit, how about the (gasp) thought of 19-20 years olds actually improving once they get to work on their craft without restrictions?

Bingo!

That is exactly the point I meant to make but didn't. I never said they can't defend etc. my point is that they only seem to do it when they want to. Too many trips up and down the court have too many varying times they actually try it seems.

Maybe the main reason I like College better is they seem to be putting forth 100% effort all the time, NBA not so much.

And as far as UK's point about NBA players compared to college and how some college guys who put up 30 pts a game in college can't do that in NBA I will also like to add that players in NBA who are putting up 30 pts a game didn't for the most part when they were playing college.

Here are the top 4 NBA players this year (who also played in college) and their average points per game this year compared to their college avg ppg.

So even looking at career ppg avg all but 1 of them are still scoring more than they did in College, so UK's argument can also be turned around and ask why NBA players are averagine scoring more than they did in College if the defense in the NBA is that much toughePlus the fact, that I think we can all agree on, that the NBA has better players on every team more so than players would see on their opponents team in college which means the NBA should have better defenders yet they are giving up more points against better defenders.

There is nearly double the amount of possessions in an NBA game.

Their NBA averages are not double their college average.

However, I prefer college basketball. I think it's the passion and emotion you see in almost every game that hooks me.

This I will give you. The pageantry with the students and overall atmosphere is different.

Bingo!

Google Kevin Love, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, James Harden, Lebron, etc and look at how they looked when they were 18-20 years old and what they look like now. Not to mention, this is their job and livelihood now, all they do is train/practice to be the best basketball player they can be. You don't have that luxury in college.

As for the transition defense in the league being poor, again, it's about talent. When a team gets out in transition in the NBA, outside of a few freaks like LeBron who can make some freak athletic play and swat a guy out of nowhere (and even that is very rare), the only real way anyone's ever going to stop these guys is by committing a really hard foul (and you've gotta deal with the potential of a flagrant being called). There's really no point outside of decapitating a guy. :lol2:

My thoughts as to why the NBA is better:

1. Concerning defense, it’s easy to look like you’re playing hard when you have 30 games a year instead of 100-plus, and it’s easier to play defense when you can pack the middle of the court because the 3-point line is short. Plus you've got fewer truly good shooters in college. Also, in the NBA, you basically get one chance to get yourself a good shot on each possession. In college, you’ll see teams dink around passing the ball around the perimeter for 15 seconds, reset, throw it to the post, and reset again…and then heave a long jumper because most college players aren’t good enough to create their own shot against a defense that’s crammed into the middle of the court by the short 3-point line. Low scoring games in college aren't a function of good defense. It's a result of poorer shooters and that is just easier to play defense.

2. If you believe NBA players aren't trying all the time, go to an NBA game, and sit near the floor. Those cats are getting after it, and they are grown men getting after it. Long, athletic, and big. Look at today's NBA players when they were in college, and see how their bodies have changed.

3. The NBA is about the players. The college game is about the guys on the bench wearing the suits. When you think NBA, you think about all players...Jordon, Lebron, Magic, Bird. College you think Coach Cal, Coach K, Knight, Wooden, etc. College basketball forces players into a system, which restricts their ability to create. Jordan wasn't that fun to watch at Carolina.

4. When determining the championship, The best team always wins a 7 game series: The best team will win the NBA title. The best team doesn’t always win the NCAA tournament. Just ask Georgetown in 1985.

5. For those who say“Oh, they don’t call traveling in the NBA, that was a travel!” Guess what, these are the same players in the pros came through college basketball, and did the same exact moves to get to the basket.

6. Sorry, but College basketball games are filled with poor decision making and all-around awful execution. College basketball games are often decided by poor free throw shooting, bad shot decisions, stupid fouls etc, rather than brilliant playmaking.

7. The possession arrow. Hate it. Puts too much luck into the equation. Jump it, all the time.

The one thing I hate about the NBA is teams tanking it to get better draft picks. The bottom 3 or 4 NBA teams are dreadful to watch. But then again, the bottom 50 college teams are dreadful to watch too.