Common Core Math Frustrations

Watusi

"This boy is in 2nd or 3rd grade. He brought home a graded math assessment. He didn't do very well. This problem pictured was left completely blank, hence the question mark in green ink. What follows is the boy's father's response, once the parents had gotten their hands on it. Enjoy.."

.ccmath.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops. I thought the point was to express frustration with the concept.

I LOVED the response.

I'm just raggin' on ya, Clyde.

Honestly, I don't even know if this is legitimate, let alone have any insight into the common core standards.

The guy did write a great response.

My wife and I help our grandson, who is in the 3rd grade, with this type of math. It is very frustrating to help him to find the correct answers, but the goal is not necessarily a correct answer, but high level thinking skills are being worked on. While that may be an admirable goal, who is going to use this to balance their checkbook? Basic math skills need to be learned at this stage, then work on the thinking skills. The frustration level is high in our grandson as he cannot get the correct answers with these problems, but yet thanks to our working with him at home, he can look at the UK score and do the math in his head and tell us how many points UK is up. I know many high schoolers who cannot do a problem like 87 minus 53 in their head or even on paper, they need a calculator.

Tried helping my Grandaughter. I could not look back in a textbook to see what they wanted because there were no textbooks. Looking on the computer, I could not find an index or appendix or any help. I sent her next door to 2 engineers who also knew the answer ,but not the method. Frustrating.

"This boy is in 2nd or 3rd grade. He brought home a graded math assessment. He didn't do very well. This problem pictured was left completely blank, hence the question mark in green ink. What follows is the boy's father's response, once the parents had gotten their hands on it. Enjoy.."

The reason why the green question mark is there, is because...(wait for it, wait for it)...THE TEACHER DON'T KNOW JACK!

The Common Core is not a new type of Math, they are standards. They expect kids to demonstrate learning conceptually, not procedurally.

ids are asked to think critically and problem solve and it scaffolds the learning. the difference with these are that students need to master their grade level standards before learn the more rigorous at the next grade level. The older standards repeated many standards through grade levels, thus many kids were just not ready for Algebra 1 in high school.

The problem with the Common Core is not the the standards, but the amount of content training many elementary teachers need to teach conceptually. In their defense, it is probably more than the required they have to do. Many teachers were taught procedurally, and therefore,that is the way they teach. This is a major shift.

Did this idea come from California?

No actually a bi-partisan group of Governor's (NGA) pushed it and adopted it in 2009. 45 states adopted them to have national standards to compare how students were compared across states. Prior to that standards in each state were dramatically different. For example Maine appeared to have the most rigorous and Mississippi the least rigorous. In essence, it was easier for a student to be Proficient (Mastery) in Mississippi than Maine.

This is an offshoot from a national think type group called Achieve. This actually flourished in the Bush Administration and the Governors passed it right as Obama took over, although neither were active in promoting them, but both were and are supporters. It's ironic that Texas was one of the states that did not adopt them even though Bush was for them.

Dear Jack,

Avoid Common Core approachs where ever possible. From seeing the effects of teachers who advertise on TV it makes you fat - probably from the inability to read numbers on a scale.

427-316 is 111.

(Unless you are an accountant. Then you will want to get the desired answer from your client and rework the equation. Note that unlike Common Core knowing this will help you later in life.)