Brent Spence Bridge Fix

There was a study done by UK on this just recently that said all these thoughts about people diverting around are just not going to happen. People choose time and convenience and are willing to pay for it.

Also, the Cincinnati Business Courier is running a poll right now asking if tolls should be used to pay for the bridge. The last I saw it was dead even for and against. Yet our lawmakers think the overwhelming majority of people are against tolls.

Let me ask a simple question of everyone. You are headed over the river. There are two lanes to choose from. The lane on the right is free but there is a 15 minute delay due to slow traffic. The lane on the left has no delay but it will cost you $1. Which lane does everyone choose?

Commercial traffic. Trucks do it all the time. If you travel I-74 you will find trucks taking Rt 1 through Lawrenceburg to avoid hitting the Ohio line, even though the signs say no truck allowed. The primary backups are not necessarily caused by just traffic volume, but the commercial truck traffic through the valley. It is very difficult for loaded trucks to gain enough speed to keep the flow of traffic up and down through the valley, especially with the construction on the Ohio side currently. Compare that to the flow they can get on 275 and around and it's a win for trucks. You can bet that if they have tolls they will hit commercial traffic at a higher rate than other travelers.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commercial traffic. Trucks do it all the time. If you travel I-74 you will find trucks taking Rt 1 through Lawrenceburg to avoid hitting the Ohio line, even though the signs say no truck allowed. The primary backups are not necessarily caused by just traffic volume, but the commercial truck traffic through the valley. It is very difficult for loaded trucks to gain enough speed to keep the flow of traffic up and down through the valley, especially with the construction on the Ohio side currently. Compare that to the flow they can get on 275 and around and it's a win for trucks. You can bet that if they have tolls they will hit commercial traffic at a higher rate than other travelers.
As It should

As I posted earlier, the Louisville bridges will charge tractor trailers $10, box and panel vans $5.

As It should

As I posted earlier, the Louisville bridges will charge tractor trailers $10, box and panel vans $5.

When you consider the wear and tear the trucks inflict on the road and bridges, those rates may not be enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Commercial traffic. Trucks do it all the time. If you travel I-74 you will find trucks taking Rt 1 through Lawrenceburg to avoid hitting the Ohio line' date=' even though the signs say no truck allowed. The primary backups are not necessarily caused by just traffic volume, but the commercial truck traffic through the valley. It is very difficult for loaded trucks to gain enough speed to keep the flow of traffic up and down through the valley, especially with the construction on the Ohio side currently. Compare that to the flow they can get on 275 and around and it's a win for trucks. You can bet that if they have tolls they will hit commercial traffic at a higher rate than other travelers.[/quote']

They will pass the cost onto the consumer, just like they have with gas prices.

Read the tea leaves, kids. That bridge ain't getting built without tolls. Like it or not, that's how the new world's gonna be. Same goes for the L'ville bridges.

It's either that or higher up-front taxes elsewhere.

If we slice off some the amount of financial aid that is sent all over the globe to take care of other countries, we would have the money to take care of OUR taxpayers' need for this bridge replacement. Do you honestly believe this toll/tax will be eliminated once the bridge is paid off? I do not think so. But, I guess I'm in the minority because most people must be in great financial shape and don't mind paying additional taxes.

Read the tea leaves, kids. That bridge ain't getting built without tolls. Like it or not, that's how the new world's gonna be. Same goes for the L'ville bridges.

It's either that or higher up-front taxes elsewhere.

I got news for you, under the last few administrations this has been the norm and continues to increase. We have to take a stand somewhere and tell those mismanagers enough is enough!

If we slice off some the amount of financial aid that is sent all over the globe to take care of other countries, we would have the money to take care of OUR taxpayers' need for this bridge replacement. Do you honestly believe this toll/tax will be eliminated once the bridge is paid off? I do not think so. But, I guess I'm in the minority because most people must be in great financial shape and don't mind paying additional taxes.

Do you honestly think the US will be safe and prosper in the future if we again adopt the isolated, "island fortress" mentality? If you think China is a threat to the US economically and militarily, you just might want to examine how much foreign financial aid they are giving out. Right, wrong or otherwise, foreign financial aid equates to influence in places that people much more knowledgeable than you and I in foreign affairs think we need influence.

Do you honestly think the US will be safe and prosper in the future if we again adopt the isolated, "island fortress" mentality? If you think China is a threat to the US economically and militarily, you just might want to examine how much foreign financial aid they are giving out. Right, wrong or otherwise, foreign financial aid equates to influence in places that people much more knowledgeable than you and I in foreign affairs think we need influence.

Agree 100%. But I also believe we need evaluate our current aid and look at the ROI on that aid. Sometimes we are putting money torwards problems that just makes the situation worse. I also believe maintaining our domestic infrastructure should trump foreign aid. If we aren't sound at home who cares what is happening across the globe.

And you think what is being done presently is working? To be quite honest, I think our influence globally has taken a hit over the last few years. This country forks over gobs of our money to foreign aid. All I want is to take a fraction of it back to take care of a federal highway project that should have been taken care of long ago. How did I go from wanting some of our tax money to care of a problem at home to becoming an isolationist?

Agree 100%. But I also believe we need evaluate our current aid and look at the ROI on that aid. Sometimes we are putting money torwards problems that just makes the situation worse. I also believe maintaining our domestic infrastructure should trump foreign aid. If we aren't sound at home who cares what is happening across the globe.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Totally missed this happening a month ago...

Beshear Vetoes Bill Banning Bridge Tolls

"Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear Friday vetoed legislation that would have banned tolls on the Brent Spence Bridge and its replacement.

That could make the possibility of tolls to pay for the $2.6 billion bridge project more likely.

The toll ban authored by state Rep. Arnold Simpson, D-Covington, passed the General Assembly last month attached to a bill that would have allowed private money to pay for public projects, known as public-private partnerships or P3."

Totally missed this happening a month ago...

Beshear Vetoes Bill Banning Bridge Tolls

"Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear Friday vetoed legislation that would have banned tolls on the Brent Spence Bridge and its replacement.

That could make the possibility of tolls to pay for the $2.6 billion bridge project more likely.

The toll ban authored by state Rep. Arnold Simpson, D-Covington, passed the General Assembly last month attached to a bill that would have allowed private money to pay for public projects, known as public-private partnerships or P3."

Mr. OlDog75 will not be happy.:no: