Brent Spence Bridge Fix

I live in NKY and work in Cincy, so this issue is a hot one for me. I'm okay with the tolls (assuming it'll be like Dallas where you put an ez-pass device on your window and use an express lane) assuming it gets the deal done. My bigger concern is the gridlock / dumpster-fire that will exist in that area for years while they are building / re-routing. My hope, every time I'm sitting on that bridge in stopped traffic, is that they replace it before it collapses.

75 is a monster from Detroit to Florida, they have to get this thing built and now!

I don't know the logistics would be of the fix in NKY, but I have been impressed with the logistics of the concurrent untangling of Spaghetti Junction in Louisville as a part of our Bridges project. It's been no worse than it was before the work started. The closing of the Sherman Minton was FAR more disruptive and created FAR more time spent in traffic than what I have experienced since this project began. The most inconvenient thing has been the closing of the ramp fro 64E to 65S (my former escape route if Spaghetti Junction was backed up). I suppose it could get worse as time goes on, but it seems the planning was exceptional, in my opinion.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in NKY and work in Cincy, so this issue is a hot one for me. I'm okay with the tolls (assuming it'll be like Dallas where you put an ez-pass device on your window and use an express lane) assuming it gets the deal done. My bigger concern is the gridlock / dumpster-fire that will exist in that area for years while they are building / re-routing. My hope, every time I'm sitting on that bridge in stopped traffic, is that they replace it before it collapses.

75 is a monster from Detroit to Florida, they have to get this thing built and now!

Should have been replaced a long time ago. But no, our elected bozos had to mismanage those funds for years. I'm so tired of the extra tax burden. I'm tired of working my rear off and seeing over half my paycheck go to the government. I'm tired of seemingly never getting ahead financially. But I am heartened that there are those of you so well off that an extra tax is nothing.

Should have been replaced a long time ago. But no, our elected bozos had to mismanage those funds for years. I'm so tired of the extra tax burden. I'm tired of working my rear off and seeing over half my paycheck go to the government. I'm tired of seemingly never getting ahead financially. But I am heartened that there are those of you so well off that an extra tax is nothing.

It isn't nothing, but what is my choice? Continuing tilting at windmills and protesting a toll...then die in a fiery car wreck when the bridge collapses? I'll pass. I just want it resolved, and I hope they are smart enough to figure out a way to do it without turning that area into a bottle-neck that creates road rage and traffic interruptions that none of us can live with. Would a toll be ideal? NO! However, again, I'm not in charge of Federal Funding, so I'm going to have to make the most of what comes down the pike.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

over half what a crock !!!

It isn't nothing, but what is my choice? Continuing tilting at windmills and protesting a toll...then die in a fiery car wreck when the bridge collapses? I'll pass. I just want it resolved, and I hope they are smart enough to figure out a way to do it without turning that area into a bottle-neck that creates road rage and traffic interruptions that none of us can live with. Would a toll be ideal? NO! However, again, I'm not in charge of Federal Funding, so I'm going to have to make the most of what comes down the pike.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Tilting at windmills, eh? I have only yet begun to fight! I will protest until the end of my days, however that happens. By the way, could you loan me $20 per week?

I'm not trying to take this out on you Mentsch....., just extremely frustrated over this tax that's going to take around $1,000 out of my budget a year.

Tilting at windmills, eh? I have only yet begun to fight! I will protest until the end of my days, however that happens. By the way, could you loan me $20 per week?

I'm not trying to take this out on you Mentsch....., just extremely frustrated over this tax that's going to take around $1,000 out of my budget a year.

How much do you waste each week in gas as you are sitting in traffic? Is it worth anything to you to get where you want 15-30 minutes faster every trip - be it home or work or whatever? I think anyone who crosses that bridge every day might actually save money with a $1 toll.

I also think it is interesting that the businesses sending trucks over the new bridge will pay a lot more each trip and they are all for it. People see a $10 toll for trucks and think that is crazy, but the trucks will pay it with no complaints because they know it is less costly than the time they waste in traffic with the current bridge.

I think there needs to be a new bridge. This is a major north / south artery for the middle portion of America. I'm not opposed to tolls, as that is the easiest, fastest way to get this done, however, tolls will create a problem for the rest of region. I would be willing to bet that commercial truck traffic, primarily, would divert around 275 to 471 to avoid excess tolls, this , along with the commuter traffic will completely bottleneck the 275 / 471 area around NKU.

The whole bridge issue is a disaster and the inability to make decisions by our elected leaders has become laughable at this point. If Mitch can't get anything done, then he needs to go..in fact, after his debacle yesterday with the Duke and Julius Randle commercials, he should go immediately….he probably doesn't know how to use the Internet either ….

I think there needs to be a new bridge. This is a major north / south artery for the middle portion of America. I'm not opposed to tolls, as that is the easiest, fastest way to get this done, however, tolls will create a problem for the rest of region. I would be willing to bet that commercial truck traffic, primarily, would divert around 275 to 471 to avoid excess tolls, this , along with the commuter traffic will completely bottleneck the 275 / 471 area around NKU.

The whole bridge issue is a disaster and the inability to make decisions by our elected leaders has become laughable at this point. If Mitch can't get anything done, then he needs to go..in fact, after his debacle yesterday with the Duke and Julius Randle commercials, he should go immediately….he probably doesn't know how to use the Internet either ….

There was a study done by UK on this just recently that said all these thoughts about people diverting around are just not going to happen. People choose time and convenience and are willing to pay for it.

Also, the Cincinnati Business Courier is running a poll right now asking if tolls should be used to pay for the bridge. The last I saw it was dead even for and against. Yet our lawmakers think the overwhelming majority of people are against tolls.

Let me ask a simple question of everyone. You are headed over the river. There are two lanes to choose from. The lane on the right is free but there is a 15 minute delay due to slow traffic. The lane on the left has no delay but it will cost you $1. Which lane does everyone choose?

I don't know the logistics would be of the fix in NKY, but I have been impressed with the logistics of the concurrent untangling of Spaghetti Junction in Louisville as a part of our Bridges project. It's been no worse than it was before the work started. The closing of the Sherman Minton was FAR more disruptive and created FAR more time spent in traffic than what I have experienced since this project began. The most inconvenient thing has been the closing of the ramp fro 64E to 65S (my former escape route if Spaghetti Junction was backed up). I suppose it could get worse as time goes on, but it seems the planning was exceptional, in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. I've been very surprised at how little traffic has been affected so far. I think that shows just how screwed up it was all a long.

I also think it is interesting that the businesses sending trucks over the new bridge will pay a lot more each trip and they are all for it. People see a $10 toll for trucks and think that is crazy, but the trucks will pay it with no complaints because they know it is less costly than the time they waste in traffic with the current bridge.

The thing that I find amazing is the number of trucks that still go through downtown at rush hour, rather than taking 275 out past the airport. Yes, I know it is a longer route (guessing around 20 miles extra)...and that you'd have the cost of the fuel to cover that extra mileage...but, you wouldn't have the congestion to deal with, and you may still shave 10-15 minutes off your trip. Yet, there's no where near the trucks that come through downtown. So, why aren't they utilizing that?

And as a side-note...I have no idea of what trucks are coming from where, nor where they are headed. So, maybe a good portion of them are local (inside the 275 loop). And there's no official data that I can refer to...other than personal experiences. So, my sample size may be very small.

How much do you waste each week in gas as you are sitting in traffic? Is it worth anything to you to get where you want 15-30 minutes faster every trip - be it home or work or whatever? I think anyone who crosses that bridge every day might actually save money with a $1 toll.

I think I answered your first question a few days ago in an earlier post on this subject. My wife and I go to work early and come home late so we do not sit in much traffic. I just don't need an extra $1000 coming out of my pocket right now or in the near future. AND no one seems to be concerned that this tax, once on that bridge, will never be taken off.

There was a study done by UK on this just recently that said all these thoughts about people diverting around are just not going to happen. People choose time and convenience and are willing to pay for it.

Also, the Cincinnati Business Courier is running a poll right now asking if tolls should be used to pay for the bridge. The last I saw it was dead even for and against. Yet our lawmakers think the overwhelming majority of people are against tolls.

Let me ask a simple question of everyone. You are headed over the river. There are two lanes to choose from. The lane on the right is free but there is a 15 minute delay due to slow traffic. The lane on the left has no delay but it will cost you $1. Which lane does everyone choose?

Well, if you can't afford it, I guess you'll be sitting. And by affording it, I don't mean the occasional crossing. Most of the folks I know, are opposed to tolls.