Brent Spence Bridge Fix

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that I think gets lost on a lot of people is the fact that they're not just talking about replacing the bridge. It's about completely redoing the whole corridor. I'd imagine if you could get a breakdown on the costs, that the actual bridge portion is relatively small compared to everything else.

The coming infrastructure issues and problems around the country are staggering in both cost and importance. In addition while everyone rightly discusses the costs and importance of the looming Social Security/Medicaid/Medicare problems, this one does not seem to get attention in relation to it's impact.

NO TOLLS. Cut back on some of the millions/billions USA sends to other countries and earmark that money to take care of the infrastructure of THIS COUNTRY. My wife and I would have to each pay twice a day 5 and 6 days a week. We cannot afford the extra cash, and no neither job is accessible by bus. Alternate routes will be congested for sure and some of those routes are not motorist friendly. Do we honestly believe if tolls are put on that bridge, they will eventually be taken off? Hell no! This is a huge tax boondoggle for state and federal. Those tolls will NEVER be taken off that bridge. I wish I was as financially set as some people are.

As recently as 25 years ago, every one of the parkways in Kentucky were toll roads. They aren't anymore. Why is it a rule they'll never remove the toll? Just because Illinois or some other state didn't?

As recently as 25 years ago, every one of the parkways in Kentucky were toll roads. They aren't anymore. Why is it a rule they'll never remove the toll? Just because Illinois or some other state didn't?

I wouldn't say it's a rule but precedent in most cases when the government locks in on revenue it can take from people it doesn't want to give it back.

I wouldn't say it's a rule but precedent in most cases when the government locks in on revenue it can take from people it doesn't want to give it back.

But the fact is our state has shown that, in the case of toll roads, it will. Given that history, I think we ought to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And if the bridges in NoKy and L'ville are needed, tolls shouldn't be a dealbreaker in the face of safety.

I'm thinking that was the way it was set up when the parkway system went into place.

I think that would lessen the opposition. Something needs to be done and in a hurry. Someone from Beshear,McConnell or state legislature need to step up and take the lead.

I think that would lessen the opposition. Something needs to be done and in a hurry. Someone from Beshear,McConnell or state legislature need to step up and take the lead.

Well, they keep passing the buck back and forth between them, so I wouldn't be holding my breath in anticipation of completion of construction.

NO TOLLS. Cut back on some of the millions/billions USA sends to other countries and earmark that money to take care of the infrastructure of THIS COUNTRY. My wife and I would have to each pay twice a day 5 and 6 days a week. We cannot afford the extra cash, and no neither job is accessible by bus. Alternate routes will be congested for sure and some of those routes are not motorist friendly. Do we honestly believe if tolls are put on that bridge, they will eventually be taken off? Hell no! This is a huge tax boondoggle for state and federal. Those tolls will NEVER be taken off that bridge. I wish I was as financially set as some people are.

Kentucky went about building several parkways in the 70's that were instrumental in connecting the state. I think that all of them are now Toll Free, as the Toll's were withdrawn after the roads were paid for.

That said I agree with the rest of your post, the money could easily be pulled from other areas to fund this project. We give China over $660 Million Per year in foriegn aid, China! Pull $100 Million per from them until the bridge is built and open to traffic.

I'll bet my house, this damn bridge toll/tax will NEVER cease. Didn't this government just pledge millions or billions in aid to Ukraine? USE THAT TAX MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEMS HERE FIRST.

I'll bet my house, this damn bridge toll/tax will NEVER cease. Didn't this government just pledge millions or billions in aid to Ukraine? USE THAT TAX MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEMS HERE FIRST.

I'm not disagreeing with that point. But the reality is what it is.

I'm not disagreeing with that point. But the reality is what it is.

So you'd be OK with paying that tax forever? Not me, I've already paid my fair share to have that bridge replaced. It's not the taxpayers' fault the idiots elected to oversee our money misused the funds. And I'm NOT going to settle for "it is what it is."

I live in NKY and work in Cincy, so this issue is a hot one for me. I'm okay with the tolls (assuming it'll be like Dallas where you put an ez-pass device on your window and use an express lane) assuming it gets the deal done. My bigger concern is the gridlock / dumpster-fire that will exist in that area for years while they are building / re-routing. My hope, every time I'm sitting on that bridge in stopped traffic, is that they replace it before it collapses.

75 is a monster from Detroit to Florida, they have to get this thing built and now!