Should Richie Farmer be allowed to delay his reporting to Prison?

Qryche11

As an active private hire criminal defense attorney this statement chills me to the core, if you ever work with innocent people charged with a felony you will understand. Everyone deserves fair representation, now I get some lawyers are better than others, but being poor shouldn't result in you serving a harsher prison sentence.

I think the truth behind this statement is why it bothers me so much.

I don't like it either, but I also don't think PP is far off. Paying for a good lawyer (whatever the criteria may be) gives you a better chance at earning a lesser punishment than taking a public defender.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an active private hire criminal defense attorney this statement chills me to the core, if you ever work with innocent people charged with a felony you will understand. Everyone deserves fair representation, now I get some lawyers are better than others, but being poor shouldn't result in you serving a harsher prison sentence.

This 1000 times over.

I'm talking people who can't afford a high-powered attorney, or don't have family/friends to up the money. I'm talking about people of ordinary families who hire an attorney, yet the Judge decides they want to make a name for themselves and pick an issue to be "tough" on. I'm talking about politics in the judicial system and that "luck of the draw" of ones circumstances. There are a lot more poor people who sit in jail awaiting trial, then sitting in jails waiting to be taken to their eventual prison.

Very true. Just saying that not every no name person is sitting in county jail waiting to be hauled off to prison.

I don't disagree. It doesn't mean that isn't the way of the world.

If Farmer is allowed to attend does he then become a sideshow and take the spotlight the kids have earned away from them?

I'm going to start another thread in the politics forum about the inequities of the legal system. I know you're probably surprised but I have some thoughts on that but don't want to take this thread in that direction.

The key behind delayed reporting has less to do with "name" and more to do with situation. This is non-violent, embezzlement crime tried at the Federal level….100% completely different that a state sentence. Probably more common, when the defendant asks for, that they receive a delayed reporting date than not. Like it or not, it's the way the system works. Had he been charged with a crime and tried by the State, may not have this option. Judges and prosecutors at the Federal level have less concern about "localized feedback" than at the Circuit level, so there is less concern about public outcry. He stole money from me as a state taxpayer just like every other KY resident, but he will do the time required, probably 20%. I don't see this as a special treatment case. I can name you at least 3 people I know personally, sentenced for Federal, that got a delayed report date. He's not a flight risk so report date is really irrelevant. He's going to be father to his son for the rest of his life and have to face him, I say let his kid have this one.

The key behind delayed reporting has less to do with "name" and more to do with situation. This is non-violent, embezzlement crime tried at the Federal level….100% completely different that a state sentence. Probably more common, when the defendant asks for, that they receive a delayed reporting date than not. Like it or not, it's the way the system works. Had he been charged with a crime and tried by the State, may not have this option. Judges and prosecutors at the Federal level have less concern about "localized feedback" than at the Circuit level, so there is less concern about public outcry. He stole money from me as a state taxpayer just like every other KY resident, but he will do the time required, probably 20%. I don't see this as a special treatment case. I can name you at least 3 people I know personally, sentenced for Federal, that got a delayed report date. He's not a flight risk so report date is really irrelevant. He's going to be father to his son for the rest of his life and have to face him, I say let his kid have this one.

Well said. I agree.

Does anyone know about Hazelton the place where he is going? I'm not a penologist, but have to think he will be playing handball with the Wall Street guys. Could not imagine with a white collar offense being sent to a max like place. Any feedback Bgp'ers?

I looked at it, it is a High Security (not Maximum) prison with a minimum security camp outside the walls of the regular prison. I'm sure he'll be in the camp. Most all Camp occupants have a job in the regular prison so he should come into contact with some really sweet people.