Who is new coach for Garrard now?

jericho

Does anyone know why Coach Perry resigned from GC the first time in the 90's. His record was outstanding.

My impression was always that he had been fighting for resources/support for the football team for years at Garrard. I will say this - and I am sure someone on here will disagree - the situation for the football program has improved from a resources standpoint. I don't know if Coach Scenters ever asked for anything he didn't get. Still limited because of the system itself, but there is an active booster program, and an admin that wants to be successful, athletically.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression was always that he had been fighting for resources/support for the football team for years at Garrard. I will say this - and I am sure someone on here will disagree - the situation for the football program has improved from a resources standpoint. I don't know if Coach Scenters ever asked for anything he didn't get. Still limited because of the system itself, but there is an active booster program, and an admin that wants to be successful, athletically.

I think one thing was he was wanting weight lifting classes and they told him no. As far as resources, all you have to do is look at the upgrades that took place last year to see things are better....got rid of those god awful goal post!!!!!!

Looks like Coach Scenters was one of 3 coaches to have a winning record. Won the schools only region title and from what I heard cares about the kids and is a man of faith. If people had a problem with him they probabaly need to look in the mirror.

I have yet to see anyone say anything negative about Coach Scenters.

Welcome to BGP!!!!!

With all the upgrades to the football field does this mean that there isn't going to be a new one built at the new high school? Just curious

It is in the plans but we've all joked that we'll all be dead by the time a new field is built! I'm actually hoping they stay at the old field in town. It's a great place to watch football, the facilities are really nice (especially with the upgrades last year) and the parking is ample. And there's something about seeing those lights over everything in Lancaster on a Friday night that is just really cool.

Does anyone know why Coach Perry resigned from GC the first time in the 90's. His record was outstanding.

I always wondered if he felt he would be next in line for the Danville job. There was constantly speculation in the mid-1990s that when Chase Harp signed with UK that Sam would follow him as an assistant coach. For whatever reason, if it was ever even realistic in the first place, that never happened. And because of that Danville ended up with Jerry Perry and Marty Jaggers on their staff, which was certainly a good thing for them and their program.

It is in the plans but we've all joked that we'll all be dead by the time a new field is built! I'm actually hoping they stay at the old field in town. It's a great place to watch football, the facilities are really nice (especially with the upgrades last year) and the parking is ample. And there's something about seeing those lights over everything in Lancaster on a Friday night that is just really cool.

I agree! I loved playing on that field in my 4 years there.. Dickie did a great job keeping it up

Agreed.

The best thing I've always loved about that stadium and others across the state like it is the fact that it doesn't have a track around it.

It just makes things so much more intense.

You go to some of these stadiums being built nowadays and the stands are in upwards of 25-30 yards away from the action.

Agreed.

The best thing I've always loved about that stadium and others across the state like it is the fact that it doesn't have a track around it.

It just makes things so much more intense.

You go to some of these stadiums being built nowadays and the stands are in upwards of 25-30 yards away from the action.

True, Harry. A couple years ago Bath County played at Garrard for the first time. I was talking with their radio guys and they kept saying, "Man, it feels like we're actually on the field broadcasting." Some schools track situation is better than others, but for my money I like the stands right on the field.

True, Harry. A couple years ago Bath County played at Garrard for the first time. I was talking with their radio guys and they kept saying, "Man, it feels like we're actually on the field broadcasting." Some schools track situation is better than others, but for my money I like the stands right on the field.

All day long and twice on Sunday's.

I know for a fact that Jack Haskins had the final say so in the new stadium at McCracken County. They built their new stadium w/out the track going around it. It's one heck of an atmosphere because of it, too.

When I think of some of the best atmospheres across the state, they just so happen to be some of the best programs across the state...the one thing they have in common? No track around the field.

-Mayfield

-Murray High

-McCracken County (I know they are new, but is what it is...probably the new WKY Big School Power

-Owensboro Sr. High

-Owensboro Catholic (even though they split the cost with KWC, still did it up right)

-John Hardin

-Trinity

-Manual

-Highlands

-Beechwood

-LexCath

-Boyle County

-Corbin

-Pikeville

-Middlesboro

^^A lot of schools right there that when people think "That place loves it's football"; those come up.

Then you obviously have Golden Lion land, and E-town's old stadium was in town at their Middle School, no track..perfect. They just built a brand new state of the art stadium w/ turf, a jumbo tron, the works..but, they messed up and put the track around it.

I know for a fact that Jack Haskins had the final say so in the new stadium at McCracken County. They built their new stadium w/out the track going around it. It's one heck of an atmosphere because of it, too.

When I think of some of the best atmospheres across the state, they just so happen to be some of the best programs across the state...the one thing they have in common? No track around the field.

-Mayfield

-Murray High

-McCracken County (I know they are new, but is what it is...probably the new WKY Big School Power

-Owensboro Sr. High

-Owensboro Catholic (even though they split the cost with KWC, still did it up right)

-John Hardin

-Trinity

-Manual

-Highlands

-Beechwood

-LexCath

-Boyle County

-Corbin

-Pikeville

-Middlesboro

^^A lot of schools right there that when people think "That place loves it's football"; those come up.

Then you obviously have Golden Lion land, and E-town's old stadium was in town at their Middle School, no track..perfect. They just built a brand new state of the art stadium w/ turf, a jumbo tron, the works..but, they messed up and put the track around it.

---

I'm in 100% agreement on this, I just don't feel like I'm at a football game at one of those "track included" stadiums. Now, if Garrard can get that pressbox up to the top level on the home side (in the works from what I understand), I'll be very happy.

---

I'm in 100% agreement on this, I just don't feel like I'm at a football game at one of those "track included" stadiums. Now, if Garrard can get that pressbox up to the top level on the home side (in the works from what I understand), I'll be very happy.

It's going up. Just waiting for the weather to thaw out a bit, which, after a winter like this might not be until August. lol

I agree. You don't feel like you are at a game.

What makes it worse is most people just stand and/or walk around the track, and we all know how that is. I hate having to do that. You miss half of what's going on because of conversation.

It's amazing, too. People can stand 2-3 yards off the field and it still feels like something. Move them back 10 yards on the track, and nothing.

Some other programs who aren't mentioned above, but have really good atmospheres bc of no track are:

-Russell County

-Campbellsville HS

-Casey County

-Williamsburg

^^ All four of these schools play in the outfield of their baseball field, which I kind of like, too.

Adair County

Washington County

Letcher Central (new stadium and complex, and were smart enough to leave the track out)

Anderson County (awesome atmosphere)

Frankfort

I'm sure there are others I've left off.

The bad part about not have your athletic fields or gym at the new school is no one will ever see what a nice high school they have.

-Mayfield

-Murray High

-Owensboro Sr. High

-John Hardin

-Trinity

-Manual

-Highlands

-Beechwood

-LexCath

-Boyle County

-Corbin

-Pikeville

-Middlesboro

I haven't been to all of those places, but I agree 100% with this post. I love the atmosphere of having your stands close to the field that you get by not having a track around it. You can add Belfry to that list. The atmosphere at the old Vipperman Stadium was crazy and loud with the high concrete bleachers right on top of the field and the mountain right behind. The rest of the facilities were subpar but the atmosphere was spectacular.

When Belfry moved to CAM Stadium in 2005 I was at first worried that they would have the track around the field. Luckily, they had the foresight to build the track around the soccer field and not the football field. CAM Stadium is a beautiful facility and having a track there would have removed the fans too far from the action.