Who is new coach for Garrard now?

jericho

1) Mark Scenters was the shortest tenured coach since Gwen Gaddie (before Perry).

2) The job was just posted yesterday, so it is hard to see how Perry has "applied."

3) You are absolutely right that there are Garrard Alum coaching at other schools.

I think, unless we were on the hiring committees, having the discussions, making the decisions, we should ALL refrain from speculating about why decisions were made. We can disagree, but to make assumptions about motives is unfair... There is so much that goes into the hiring of a coach the public doesn't see, that it really is impossible for people outside the process to make accurate assumptions.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Mark Scenters was the shortest tenured coach since Gwen Gaddie (before Perry).

2) The job was just posted yesterday, so it is hard to see how Perry has "applied."

3) You are absolutely right that there are Garrard Alum coaching at other schools.

I think, unless we were on the hiring committees, having the discussions, making the decisions, we should ALL refrain from speculating about why decisions were made. We can disagree, but to make assumptions about motives is unfair... There is so much that goes into the hiring of a coach the public doesn't see, that it really is impossible for people outside the process to make accurate assumptions.

Got any examples?

Does a job have to be posted before anyone can apply?

That's good info. HD. Thanks. I have heard there is a new very successful head coach now interested. I promised my source I would not give up the name. So I have to keep that to myself. I just wanted let you guys/gals know at least that much.

Don't understand why you can't say a name we don't know you or your source??

Ya know, I was thinking yesterday...people say all the time (and in this thread) "the Athletic Director and Principal have gotten the hiring in all sports wrong in the past so they'll screw it up again". But man it's gotta be tough on them. I mean no matter who they choose, people are going to like the hire, and people are going to criticize the hire. Especially in Garrard County, there are parents that blame everything on the admin/coaches/teachers but never put any blame on their own son or daughters performance on the field or court. So then those parents move away and bash everything GC does from then on, like some on this thread that sound like they are "from GC" and bash everything about them. Those people on this thread are more than likely the ones of many that have moved their kids away. I wouldn't want the responsibilites of the principal or anyone else in the administration. Most people that criticize them would never be able to do the things those people do everyday. At the end of the day, we all want the kids to play their hearts out for whoever the coach is.

I'm sure it is a stressful job hiring coaches but it's their responsibility to hire the very best one to put the kids in the situation to compete at the highest level. If they can't handle that then maybe they need to move on to another job. Have you every thought that the reason they are stressed out is because they haven't been successful in hiring a coach in awhile?? Just saying!!!!

Fact: Coach Perry has applied!!!

Don't have to be on th hiring committee in that small town to know what goes on. To many people talk so it's not hard to find things out.

Unfortunately, this is a pandemic not just at Garrard, but all over the state and country.

Often times, parents/kids transfer and aren't at a place long enough to get past the "honeymoon" effect. Ya know, "Everything about my new place is great." Can't see the forest for the trees type thing.

There are very, very, very few places across our state that don't have a little or a lot of this going on.[/

Don't think anyone should be judging those parents/kids for moving until you have walked in their shoes because there may be more to it than just not liking the school.

People on here don't have to like my opinions or facts but the fact of the matter there has been over 200 posts and over 7,000 views on this thread on "Who's going to be the next Garrard coach". That's more attention Garrard County school has had in a long time !!!!

Unfortunately, this is a pandemic not just at Garrard, but all over the state and country.

Often times, parents/kids transfer and aren't at a place long enough to get past the "honeymoon" effect. Ya know, "Everything about my new place is great." Can't see the forest for the trees type thing.

There are very, very, very few places across our state that don't have a little or a lot of this going on.[/

Don't think anyone should be judging those parents/kids for moving until you have walked in their shoes because there may be more to it than just not liking the school.

People on here don't have to like my opinions or facts but the fact of the matter there has been over 200 posts and over 7,000 views on this thread on "Who's going to be the next Garrard coach". That's more attention Garrard County school has had in a long time !!!!

Oh trust me. I've walked in those shoes. As a student and as a parent, along with my profession.

It's all good.

Can anyone give me the head coaching history at Garrard sense 1985 if possible.

Years, Coach, Overall Record

1964-65 Waddell Murphy (6-10-3)

1966-68 Coy Dyehouse (20-10-1)

1969-70 Charles Harkleroad (10-10)

1971-72 Donald Wooldridge (6-14)

1973-82 Sam Burke (41-59)

1983-84 Larry Woods (6-14)

1985-88 Steve Sullivan (18-22)

1989 Gwynne Gaddie (6-4)

1990-96 Jerry Perry (65-18)

1997-00 Jeff Hester (14-28)

2001-07 Steve Stonebraker (39-40)

2008-13 Mark Scenters (40-33)

Fact: Coach Perry has applied!!!

Don't have to be on th hiring committee in that small town to know what goes on. To many people talk so it's not hard to find things out.

My point is that you DO have to be in the room to know exactly what goes on... Everything else is hearsay - period.

As far as Coach Perry -- maybe he is interested... If he is, he should be the guy (that much we agree on).

fanyofyours asked for examples of things that go into hiring decisions that the public doesn't see/know - here are some:

First choice declines to take the job.

Staffing issues don't work out.

References are not great.

Someone gives a terrible interview.

Someone gives a GREAT interview.

Money/Resources at issue.

LOTS of coaches interview just to keep their names out there, not because they want the job.

Sometimes a good coach simply isn't a good fit for that school/program.

These are just a few examples, there are literally countless reasons, beyond simple administrative malfeasance or incompetence, that one guy might get hired over another. I am not saying any of these are reasons why GC went the way they did before, but there are reasons that it happens.

BTW, Booby, I have been on record posting that I think GC might have missed on a potentially great coach in John Hodge (FWIW, I think you are right - he probably will never coach at GC). I just disagree that Coach Scenters has not been good for the program. He won the school's ONLY regional championship (regardless what anyone thinks of the competition), and was pretty close to beating Belfry in the Semi-State game that year (it still goes down as one of the top 10 HS football games I have ever seen) - and he has done with class and character, IMO.

My point is that you DO have to be in the room to know exactly what goes on... Everything else is hearsay - period.

As far as Coach Perry -- maybe he is interested... If he is, he should be the guy (that much we agree on).

fanyofyours asked for examples of things that go into hiring decisions that the public doesn't see/know - here are some:

First choice declines to take the job.

Staffing issues don't work out.

References are not great.

Someone gives a terrible interview.

Someone gives a GREAT interview.

Money/Resources at issue.

LOTS of coaches interview just to keep their names out there, not because they want the job.

Sometimes a good coach simply isn't a good fit for that school/program.

These are just a few examples, there are literally countless reasons, beyond simple administrative malfeasance or incompetence, that one guy might get hired over another. I am not saying any of these are reasons why GC went the way they did before, but there are reasons that it happens.

BTW, Booby, I have been on record posting that I think GC might have missed on a potentially great coach in John Hodge (FWIW, I think you are right - he probably will never coach at GC). I just disagree that Coach Scenters has not been good for the program. He won the school's ONLY regional championship (regardless what anyone thinks of the competition), and was pretty close to beating Belfry in the Semi-State game that year (it still goes down as one of the top 10 HS football games I have I haven't heard much other than how Perry's attitude is in question lolever seen) - and he has done with class and character, IMO.

I agree with all those examples but I'm just saying Coach Perry has applied so all those examples should be thrown out the window. Sometimes you have to make adjustments to make things fit to get the right person.

Never questioned Scenters class and character......just didn't like his coaching style and I'm not the only one that didn't......I'm just the only one that has said something on here.

Was at the Belfry game..... It was one of the best hs games I've watched and crowds too but when Coach Perry was there the first time there were great crowds too.

So Josh Jaggers and John Hodge aren't quality hires in your opinion? It's Jerry Perry or bust for you?

I think Jerry is to Garrard football what Chuck is to Boyle football. Would Hodge or anyone else have been an acceptable hire at Boyle without first approaching Chuck. I may be off base here, but from what I saw on the overall records for GCHS history, I can understand the sentiment.

I think Jerry is to Garrard football what Chuck is to Boyle football. Would Hodge or anyone else have been an acceptable hire at Boyle without first approaching Chuck. I may be off base here, but from what I saw on the overall records for GCHS history, I can understand the sentiment.

I hear that they are going to double the salary? Has anyone else heard this?